Old 21-02-2013, 08:16   #1 (permalink)
juse8888

What is this PHP Error?

I am trying to finish up a login page everything else seems to be working. I activated the account correctly and then when I login I get this error message. What does this mean....

Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php on line 29

Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php on line 31

Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php on line 33

Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php on line 35

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php:29) in /home/content/64/10176264/html/lexicruz/checkuser.php on line 40
Old 21-02-2013, 08:26   #2 (permalink)
steveb
BitterHusk Original™

Deprecated means that the function which you are trying to invoke, i.e. "Function session_register()", is no longer a valid command.
Old 21-02-2013, 08:36   #3 (permalink)
juse8888

How can I fix that....and what causes it do to do that.
Old 21-02-2013, 08:40   #4 (permalink)
steveb
BitterHusk Original™

It's called progress. The PHP Committee simply decided they had a better way of making that function work, so the old way was made obsolete. It's deader now than a Norwegian Blue.

You can find the answers if you use Google. I'm not going to do your work for you. You don't do mine for me, after all.
Old 21-02-2013, 09:32   #5 (permalink)
Sherbs
Oo-ee-oo

Hah Steve, didn't know you was a PHP Guru

Either that, or you actually understand english!
Old 21-02-2013, 09:39   #6 (permalink)
juse8888

Yeah you could have left out the last part it wasn't really needed man, I didn't ask you do the work for me, your first part of the answer was good enough...sometimes people on these boards actually leave good advice rather than snide comments.....but thank you for the first part...
Old 21-02-2013, 09:39   #7 (permalink)
steveb
BitterHusk Original™

Please to be visiting stevebwebprovidings.co.in for best in PHP service and providings.

I do apologise for my apparent flippancy.

Last edited by steveb : 21-02-2013 at 10:00.
Old 21-02-2013, 10:32   #8 (permalink)
Sherbs
Oo-ee-oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by juse8888
Yeah you could have left out the last part it wasn't really needed man, I didn't ask you do the work for me, your first part of the answer was good enough...sometimes people on these boards actually leave good advice rather than snide comments.....but thank you for the first part...

Sorry but that is a straight forward error that even Steve picked up on
Old 21-02-2013, 12:07   #9 (permalink)
calder12

Deprecated does not mean that it is no longer valid.

Deprecated means it's in a queue to become no longer valid and in future versions of PHP it may not work. There is a pretty substantial difference there.

What you're seeing is actually a warning and not an error and shouldn't cause the site not to work, but it is something you should address (obviously otherwise why would they warn you about it?).

PHP: session_register - Manual

The old way of setting a session variable, which your site is obviously using was to do it this way:

Code:
$variable = 'hello world'; session_register(variable);

The way you should be doing it now is:

Code:
$_SESSION['variable'] = 'hello world';

According to the manual this is deprecated and will be removed as of PHP version 5.4 meaning that you have until your host updates their server version of PHP to 5.4 to fix it.
Old 21-02-2013, 12:10   #10 (permalink)
Prash

Also, your last error is to do with trying to send headers AFTER you've outputted something. This could be to do with setting a session, or used header() to redirect a user.

.titanic{float: none;}
Old 21-02-2013, 12:11   #11 (permalink)
calder12

ha, didn't even notice he had a second error.
Old 21-02-2013, 19:57   #12 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash
Also, your last error is to do with trying to send headers AFTER you've outputted something. This could be to do with setting a session, or used header() to redirect a user.

The deprecated error is causing the last error