Old 20-11-2009, 19:53   #1 (permalink)
snarble

Finding clients?

Hi, I just graduated from the website design and development course at my local college. I am wondering what are some good methods of finding clients for website design? Is there anything you recommend (websites where people might be looking etc...)

I would also be interested in working for any companies/individuals who need to subcontract work out, I am not sure if this is something people normally do?

Thanks!
Old 20-11-2009, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Maerk
Doodler.

Yes people do that. Does rather sound like you're greener than some very green thing though, which doesn't sound like a great start point for freelance.

You have a website/samples of your work somewhere I assume?

Upload Pie The Simple Image Sharing Tool
Old 20-11-2009, 20:52   #3 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Was this a 3-week learn html course, or a 3 year learn design development and server maintenance course?

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 21-11-2009, 00:46   #4 (permalink)
briggs

Network. Get out there and meet people. Let them know what you do. Even if conversation is not your strong suit, making connections will go a long way.
Old 21-11-2009, 17:29   #5 (permalink)
deaytch

Set up a portfolio, if you haven't already, go ask some companies around your local area to see if they need work... Word of mouth is always better than adverts.
Old 21-11-2009, 17:33   #6 (permalink)
seen.to
unusual suspect ™

Have you tried looking under the stairs?

[[proverbs and quotes]] [[blog]] [[work]] [[photowebby - some photo's by me]] [[doodls - my doodles]]
Old 21-11-2009, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
deaytch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen.to
Have you tried looking under the stairs?

Don't be mean... LOL
Old 22-11-2009, 00:36   #8 (permalink)
Aibrean
Brutally Honest

Send a message via AIM to Aibrean Send a message via MSN to Aibrean Send a message via Skype™ to Aibrean
Networking is one of the best things you can do. Unfortunately, most of the sites online to find work are bidding sites (oDesk, Guru, etc) and they will cause to lower your prices to be able to compete. In the case of oDesk, that also means working with their contract AND transferring copyright over. I would definitely get a strong web presence that will produce good organic SEO. You can get involved in your local ad club too. While you may not need to network with them, potential clients may check out the ad club's membership list. Your chamber of commerce might be good as well, but it really depends on where you live.

Once you get your first few clients that will help because word-of-mouth travels fast. I've gotten referrals from people who said they heard of me from someone who I had gotten contacted for a job and never worked with them on it.
Old 22-11-2009, 02:10   #9 (permalink)
Randy CA
Señor Member

If I was starting out and looking for business, I would approach business associations and see if they have fund raisers. Offer a free design work as something they can auction or raffle off. This way not only can you get a portfolio of some real sites, but also the business owners in the association will all become aware of you and the guys you do the free work for will be showing it to their business owner buddies.
Old 22-11-2009, 05:35   #10 (permalink)
rawnewdlz
sleep is good.

To go with all the useful information already provided. taprootfoundation[dot]org and craigslist might be good ways to get your feet wet. Internships also provide great starts.
Old 22-11-2009, 15:09   #11 (permalink)
josephfreeman
Banned

Be bold, aggresive and INNOVATIVE

If you live in a big city, perhaps you have big malls there.

Find a way to rent a small space there, where most people pass.

Put a table, two chairs, you and your laptop and a sign "WEBSITES OVER HERE"

Anybody interested would love the easy chance to ask about what she needs regarding her internet presense.
Of course, you cannot expect CEO of transnational corporation to stop and ask you for info. But small business - very much. I see them all the times on their forums - what they need and how they struggle the internet to find the right one.

If you are good in communicationg face to face - you will have clients very soon. People need to have somebody LIVE when they have problems with their website.

Use something innovative for reason of your untraditional marketing.
Lets say new CMS . That would draw as prospects even those who have already websites, but not editable.

If you push my cms bestsiteeditor dot com - I would be glad to help you with the first designs. Everybody would be happy. Contact me from the site for details.
Old 23-11-2009, 17:05   #12 (permalink)
SEO UK
website designer

Set yourself up a good looking website, concentrate on your SEO and then let them find you ...
Old 23-11-2009, 17:28   #13 (permalink)
Aibrean
Brutally Honest

Send a message via AIM to Aibrean Send a message via MSN to Aibrean Send a message via Skype™ to Aibrean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEO UK
Set yourself up a good looking website, concentrate on your SEO and then let them find you ...
You have to take some initiative. Having just a web presence to depend on is fine when you already have a client base. You need to get the ball rolling without depending on the web to do it for you when starting out. That can take years.
Old 23-11-2009, 19:57   #14 (permalink)
SEO UK
website designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibrean
You have to take some initiative. Having just a web presence to depend on is fine when you already have a client base. You need to get the ball rolling without depending on the web to do it for you when starting out. That can take years.

Of course you need a little more armour, but if you have a good website, it ranks top 3 Google and people like it upon entry, you've a good chance of getting clients. And the more you do, the more clients you get if they like what they see ...

The amount of people searching Google and only hitting the top 3 links these days is remarkable. Get your website sorted and the client database sorts itself out.
Old 23-11-2009, 20:01   #15 (permalink)
Aibrean
Brutally Honest

Google does not update their page ranking instantly.
Old 23-11-2009, 20:46   #16 (permalink)
SEO UK
website designer

I'm not sure anyone said it did update instantly ... ?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22   #17 (permalink)
immrchris

Word of mouth is the highest earner in my experience but doing a few freebies or just low cost gets your name out there and shows what you are capable of
Old 05-12-2009, 16:32   #18 (permalink)
enoypi

Send a message via Yahoo to enoypi Send a message via Skype™ to enoypi
participate in design contest in different forums for exposure. When you have enough design set up your own portfolio and this time try to bid in different freelance website like elance and getafreelancer.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:35   #19 (permalink)
Shaun
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoypi
participate in design contest in different forums for exposure. When you have enough design set up your own portfolio and this time try to bid in different freelance website like elance and getafreelancer.

Or ... you could do what grown ups do and get your name out there in the real world.
Old 05-12-2009, 18:59   #20 (permalink)
teapoted
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstar
Or ... you could do what grown ups do and get your name out there in the real world.

You mean like outside the internet? I heard there's criminals and stuff.