Old 27-01-2004, 13:12   #1 (permalink)
JiRaffe
Ur mother's ur brother?

webspace control

i'm currently trying to get a local solicitors firm as a client and i've hit a question which i'm not sure of the answer. should I be responsible (as the website designer) for the webspace of the client? i.e. should i be the one who uploads the website to their webspace? the problem is that i am not insured against someone getting access to the companies webspace and screwing around with their files. are their companies who manage webspace for you and also take responsibility for the file stored within it? ideally i'd like to put the website on a cd and give it to someone else who will then upload it onto some webspace. that would then absolve (right word?) me of any responsibility. if a firm of solicitors decided to sue me then my ass would be heavily on the line otherwise.

any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully recieved
Old 28-01-2004, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
JiRaffe
Ur mother's ur brother?

sorry to drag on about this issue but i'm still stuck

anybody know of any company who would deal with the uploading of content to a clients webspace?
Old 28-01-2004, 10:08   #3 (permalink)
Brown
volkswagen yellow & gold

flark would
Old 28-01-2004, 10:15   #4 (permalink)
Stickman
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

I don't want want to ruin Brown's business, but:

Do it yourself.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:18   #5 (permalink)
Brown
volkswagen yellow & gold

stickman, can't belive you're dishing out such advice. if he's not got insurance etc, then there are massive issues, especially as this is a solicitor's firm. you can't take chances in this business.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:19   #6 (permalink)
Stickman
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Balls.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
JiRaffe
Ur mother's ur brother?

stickman, i want to do it myself but i don't want to burden myself with unnecessary responsibility.

Brown, you are being serious aren't you. you're not takin the piss?
Old 28-01-2004, 10:22   #8 (permalink)
oli
Chicharito™

Yeah, Just upload it yourself - security is responsibility of the hosting company, make this clear to the client and advise them of a good host to use.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:22   #9 (permalink)
Bill Posters
trouble free and loverlee

If it's simply a matter of uploading your finished site files then I wouldn't worry overly about something going wrong.

Taking on the maintenance contract for the site may be more responsibility than you wish to take on. That being said, 'site maintenance' doesn't automatically include responsibility for 'server maintenance'.
Better hosts will generally have certain service-level guarantees in place regarding the security and stability of their servers. That should go some way to indemnify the website maintenance contractor against any hacks or crashes.

You may well be worrying more than is neccesary, unless you have reason to believe that your client will be specifically targeted.
For the most part, the host should be responsible for the server security and stability and any blips or catastrophies should be covered under their server maintenance contracts - or if things go right off the rails, their professional insurance.

If your client is *really* concerned about such things then they should go for their own secure, fully-managed, dedicated server hosting option.
They'll pay considerably more for it than other hosting options, but if it helps them sleep at nights, it may be the best option.
Another option would be for them to employ their own full-time server admin/manager, but then the costs are another considerable leap above the alternatives.

Many of the concerns can be countered with common sense and getting the right hosting deal. Rationalise the risks and get a hosting option appropriate to the real risks.
For a great many small to mid-sized companies dedicated, secure hosting with a reputable company is often enough to cover all likely eventualities.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:24   #10 (permalink)
JiRaffe
Ur mother's ur brother?

so if i am the only person with the password etc. for the webspace and some of the content gets screwed around with then who is liable? (presuming that it is not i who screws around with it)
Old 28-01-2004, 10:26   #11 (permalink)
Brown
volkswagen yellow & gold

yes i was taking the piss, slightly, but if you're giving money away then i'll have it.

no-one is going to 'screw' with your webspace. they've got better things to do.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:26   #12 (permalink)
Stickman
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Talk to your hosts, clarify this issue in your contract etc - but I think you're being overly cautious.
Old 28-01-2004, 10:30   #13 (permalink)
JiRaffe
Ur mother's ur brother?

cheers for the advice everybody. its not me that is being overly cautious. the guy who's hiring me told me to look into it. to be honest, i'd never really thought about it much. i'll get looking for a reputable host then
Old 10-02-2004, 12:27   #14 (permalink)
octane
Large Member

.net magazine normally have some good recommendations for web hosting.

http://www.netmag.co.uk/commerce/