Old 09-02-2007, 15:15   #1 (permalink)
JP123

cookies?

Hi guys,

I've designed a flash website for a client and they have requested that visitors must accept the terms of a disclaimer before entering the site. Apparently the use of a cookie will enable this requirement to be dispensed with on subsequent visits, assuming the user hasnít barred cookies or hasnít wiped them. So I was hoping to do this with a basic html index page that would link to the flash site when the disclaimer is accepted for the first time, then on subsequent visits I want to take the visitor to the flash site directly, skipping the disclaimer. Is this possible? The problem is I have no knowledge of cookies at all and desperately need to find out how to do this. Hopefully this makes sense and if anybody could offer me any advice I would be vey greatful.

Thanks.

JP
Old 09-02-2007, 15:58   #2 (permalink)
finbarr
who the fuck am i?

Send a message via MSN to finbarr Send a message via Skype™ to finbarr
tell your client that this really is a shit idea first and foremost. Most of his visitors will piss off somewhere else if they have to go through a 'process' before they even see anything
Old 09-02-2007, 21:18   #3 (permalink)
nkulmati

It is possible and easy to do with any scripting language. Unfortunately, I am not an expert in Flash/ActionScript, if this is what you intend to use, but I can recommend links to, say, PHP solutions.

The solution you have described (how I understand it) does not accomplish the task of hiding content from visitors who have not read a disclaimer. Instead, it redirects visitor to a publicly accessible URL. Hence, if I wanted, I would bookmark this particular URL and share it with friends, not the original URL of a disclaimer, so that they never have to go through it.

With server-side scripting, it is possible to switch the content displayed at the same URL (disclaimer to homepage), based on that cookie flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr
visitors will piss off somewhere else if they have to go through a 'process' before they even see anything

I agree, this is a very logical expectation. It is actually interesting to find out why such a disclaimer is so important.
Old 10-02-2007, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
RaelRode
Designers are strange :)

Send a message via ICQ to RaelRode Send a message via AIM to RaelRode Send a message via MSN to RaelRode Send a message via Yahoo to RaelRode Send a message via Skype™ to RaelRode
This is a dumbass idea. Tell them that and if they still want it slap them HARD. They'll lsoe loads of visitors.