Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13-04-2011, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
vmhatup

Free font to use with these icons?

I created these icons using comic sans serif. Generally speaking, I like the way they look, but I am looking to replace the font with something similar.

What free font would you suggest? I liked the informal feeling of Comic Sans, but something slightly more narrow.

Thanks.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10067449/icons.gif
Old 13-04-2011, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
Klang
Going out West

OK, you want a professionals opinion? I'm guessing your issue with comic sans is the widely considered pro opinion of the unprofessional usage of the font?

Those icons work well with comic sans, that is why you are having trouble finding another free font you are happy with. The problem is with the icons themselves. They look like something aimed at children but they are clearly produced for an adult market.
Old 13-04-2011, 21:28   #3 (permalink)
Scopestyle
New vintage

Kristen ITC
Old 15-04-2011, 04:12   #4 (permalink)
vmhatup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klang
OK, you want a professionals opinion? I'm guessing your issue with comic sans is the widely considered pro opinion of the unprofessional usage of the font?

Those icons work well with comic sans, that is why you are having trouble finding another free font you are happy with. The problem is with the icons themselves. They look like something aimed at children but they are clearly produced for an adult market.
Thanks for your reply.

Generally speaking, what do you suggest I change in the icons so that they look more adult?
I can't change the colors because those are the colors of the logo. And I can't change the 'button' concept because it's a button-style tab control.
My goal is to make those icons look playful, but 'adult'. Personally, the only thing I don't like about them is the font.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:08   #5 (permalink)
vmhatup

So what do you suggest?

Thanks.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:11   #6 (permalink)
sub
Cream of DT

I'd change the font.
Old 19-04-2011, 14:20   #7 (permalink)
MachineX
My brain has 512k RAM

If you don't want to sharpen up the icons to make them more professional and keep the slightly wiggely crayon-look then maybe try the font Disko, or simply give the text some shadow effect like the icons so they match.