Old 22-10-2005, 18:30   #321 (permalink)
top_buzz
For your health!

I thought Night Watch was terrible. I watched Serenity today and that was well smart. Prolly best to watch the firefly tv series before you see it though.
Old 23-10-2005, 02:36   #322 (permalink)
pgo

I loved Mulholland Drive. I even bought it on DVD.
Old 24-10-2005, 13:44   #323 (permalink)
chips
Mr chips to you

just watched 'its all gone pete tong' last night...wasn't really that impressed to be honest.
I don't think his life was interesting enough to fill an entire film.
I mean, yeah he went deaf. big deal.
and that dennis pennis guy over played the part a bit too much I think.
Old 24-10-2005, 13:56   #324 (permalink)
Limbo
My van, my rules.

Watched gladiator again last night. I liked it more now than when I saw it for the first time. Not the best film Ridley Scott has produced but it definitely has its moments.
Old 24-10-2005, 14:15   #325 (permalink)
stickmus
hmmm...

Watched History of Violence. Thought it was rubbish, felt like an overly violent made for tv movie, 'true story' style. Was expecting it to be a bit better really.

Never mind.
Old 24-10-2005, 14:44   #326 (permalink)
weldo
if only i was arsed ...

Finally sat through Crouching Minger, Hidden Wagon last night .....

Wasn't that excited by it. Too much prancing about just as i suspected ....
Old 27-10-2005, 03:31   #327 (permalink)
roto
Well...BYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmus
Watched History of Violence. Thought it was rubbish, felt like an overly violent made for tv movie, 'true story' style. Was expecting it to be a bit better really.
Agreed. Thoroughly disappointing. Vigo did kicks some ass though, but I wished I had a fast forward button many times.
Old 30-10-2005, 12:22   #328 (permalink)
pgo

Just picked up Batman Begins (fantastic film) and Shaun of the Dead in celebration of Halloween.

Quote:
[Re: A History of Violence] Agreed. Thoroughly disappointing. Vigo did kicks some ass though, but I wished I had a fast forward button many times.
Seems you guys were expecting a buttered-popcorn, shoot-em-up action movie. Not a contemplative, socio-cultural observation movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTimes
''A History of Violence'' might have easily been called ''A History of America,'' but it would sell both Mr. Cronenberg's art and his purpose short to reduce this film to an ideology. While transparently set in small-town America (Ontario passing for Indiana), the sheer unreality of the hamlet initially makes it clear that this story is not taking place in the here and the now, but in a copy of the world that looks -- wouldn't you know it -- a lot like a movie. Mr. Cronenberg, a Canadian, is taking aim at this country, to be sure. But he is also taking aim at our violence-addicted cinema, those seductive, self-heroicizing self-justifications we sell to the world. Perversely, though, the more violent this film becomes -- in time, the blood flows all the way to Philadelphia -- the more real Tom and his family seem. He kills, therefore they are.
I loved it. Can't wait for the DVD.

Last edited by pgo : 30-10-2005 at 12:50.
Old 30-10-2005, 13:58   #329 (permalink)
oli
Chicharito™

Watched Machinist, quite liked it but far too fight club for my liking.
Old 30-10-2005, 15:12   #330 (permalink)
roto
Well...BYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narate
Closer - Decent, Owen redeems himself slightly, but I alittle depressing
Took it in last night...not even decent imo. Complete shyte dialogue that's so overdone by writer(s) who tried WAY too hard to include every possible relationship complication in existence. Plus, I didn't like being teased by Natalie Portman as a stripper when she wasn't even willing to take her clothes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgo
Seems you guys were expecting a buttered-popcorn, shoot-em-up action movie. Not a contemplative, socio-cultural observation movie.
Fine...then it was just a boring contemplative, socio-cultural observation movie. I didn't hate it...I just expected an all-around better movie that was a bit more fast paced.
Old 31-10-2005, 03:44   #331 (permalink)
pgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®oto
Fine...then it was just a boring contemplative, socio-cultural observation movie. I didn't hate it...I just expected an all-around better movie that was a bit more fast paced.
To each his own. I felt the pace was perfect as it contrasted with the sudden, intense bursts of violence.
Old 31-10-2005, 14:29   #332 (permalink)
stickmus
hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgo

Haha. Fuck you too.

Where was the 'socio-cultural observation' ? Felt it was dull at best and gratuitous at worst. Wasn't expecting a shoot em up action movie, was expecting a bit more. NY Times can fuck off too. What a load of rubbish.

And that wig...
Old 31-10-2005, 15:25   #333 (permalink)
davidvesty
MrMulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmus

Never mind.

could have been a little better I agree ... but rubbish it isnt
who are you barry norman!
Old 01-11-2005, 14:20   #334 (permalink)
stickmus
hmmm...

Haha, yes, I'm Barry Norman. I stand by what I said. I expect a lot from a film, but what's wrong with that.
Old 01-11-2005, 14:25   #335 (permalink)
pgo

I also expect a lot from a film. And David Cronenberg delivered a lot (as always) with A History of Violence.
Old 01-11-2005, 14:30   #336 (permalink)
stickmus
hmmm...

In your opinion
Old 01-11-2005, 14:38   #337 (permalink)
pgo

Of course it's my opinion.

But an opinion holds significantly more merit if it's based on something communicable - "not as good as I was expecting" isn't really a defense.

The NYTimes reviewer said it better than I. As have many others, which is why I simply quoted that.

I suppose your opinion boils down to dull, gratuitous, rubbish, something about a wig (?) and...

Quote:
felt like an overly violent made for tv movie, 'true story' style
Exactly how it's supposed to feel because it's "socio-culturally observing" that aspect of American society - the pleasure we take in some violence, the disgust we feel towards other violence. As the NYTimes reviewer said...
Quote:
While transparently set in small-town America (Ontario passing for Indiana), the sheer unreality of the hamlet initially makes it clear that this story is not taking place in the here and the now, but in a copy of the world that looks -- wouldn't you know it -- a lot like a movie.
So you don't like the movie because it does exactly what it sets out to do?
Old 01-11-2005, 14:55   #338 (permalink)
stickmus
hmmm...

I don't need other peoples opinions, I have my own

I guess my opinion boils down to the fact that the story and characters lack substance, the violence felt unnescesarry and over the top, the sex scenes, gratuitous.

If that's what makes it a great movie, then yeah, it's fantastic.
Old 01-11-2005, 16:54   #339 (permalink)
top_buzz
For your health!

I've just watched Doom with The Rock and it ruled!
Old 01-11-2005, 17:07   #340 (permalink)
Stickman
Dr. Lucien Sanchez

Looking forward to that. Stick a keyboard on my lap and I can pretend I'm controlling them.