Old 10-05-2012, 13:13   #2161 (permalink)
alzer81
here me now..

21 jump street. expected a funny film. wasnt great at all. some funny parts but is just another forgettable shit comedy. 6/10
Old 10-05-2012, 13:16   #2162 (permalink)
calder12

I refuse to watch that one, it was bad enough when someone thought it was a good idea to turn Starsky and Hutch into a comedy but at least they kept the concept of the show intact. I have yet to see a commercial for 21 Jump street that without the titles would make me think of the show. The commercials seem to show 2 rookie cops, newsflash to the creators that isn't what the original show was about.
Old 10-05-2012, 14:18   #2163 (permalink)
alzer81
here me now..

what was it about?
Old 10-05-2012, 14:22   #2164 (permalink)
Paddy
Vive la Pirate Bay

A squad of undercover police officers specially selected for their ability to pass as high-school or college age students.
Old 10-05-2012, 14:22   #2165 (permalink)
calder12

It was basically a teen show. It was this group of young cops in a special taskforce, if I remember right they operated out of an old firehouse or something similar. It's been years since I've seen it but they were young so they did a lot of undercover as teenagers and shit like that. A little hokey but then what show from the 80's wasn't?

It wasn't a comedy and it wasn't remotely about two bumbling idiot rookies.

I swear these fucking people that make these movies are all on their high horse going "oh look at the shit they called action and drama in the 80's, let's make a movie that makes fun of them that'd be cool..."

*Edit - Paddy's description is better and much less rambling!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33   #2166 (permalink)
Matt_e11
Grammatically inconsisten

IMDb - Get the Gringo (2012)
Surprisingly very good! Enjoyed it all the way through.
8.5/10
Old 12-05-2012, 17:06   #2167 (permalink)
Tom
Space Monkey

Dread 7/10

Old 13-05-2012, 11:39   #2168 (permalink)
Signum
Bliss™

Revolver 1/10

Anyone who's had the unfortunate displeasure of seeing this film mind telling me what the fuck it was about? What an incoherent piece of shit.
Old 13-05-2012, 15:30   #2169 (permalink)
Dan_Dan249
Massive member

Have to watch it a few times to get it mate. Won't make you like it any more, but still, takes a while that one.

Like Donnie fucking Darko. Piece of crap that was.
Old 13-05-2012, 22:15   #2170 (permalink)
key_uk
Another Member

Just watched 50/50, pretty good film 7/10.
Old 14-05-2012, 13:05   #2171 (permalink)
calder12

Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010) - IMDb
6.5/10

Ultimately a little predictable and cliché in the vein of Red Dawn (1984) - IMDb from Australia. I found the typical teens a little more engaging and interesting than most US films of this type though. Well worth the few bucks for the rent to waste a couple of hours.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:04   #2172 (permalink)
teapoted
~

It's a terrible movie, but I enjoyed it throughout.
God Bless America
4/10 for quality but 8/10 for enjoyment.

Also watched Avengers this weekend. It was alright, I didn't enjoy it as much as the original Iron Man though. I thought I was going to be least interested in Captain America (haven't seen those movies / don't care about him) but I like that they gave him the comedic relief role (although I guess you can make an argument that everyone was) and I ended up enjoying him much more than I thought.

I probably didn't like it that much because origins and character development is the most interesting thing to me in super hero movies, and this had very little of that and was more like a bunch of action scenes shoved in a sitcom.

Also bad-guy was terrible. Since it's obviously loosely modeled after Norse mythology and Loki is supposed to be a 'trickster' he never really did a lot of 'tricking' that wasn't blatantly obvious to the viewer. The guy who played him doesn't sell the role for me either.

Last edited by teapoted : 14-05-2012 at 14:20.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:08   #2173 (permalink)
calder12

That looks like my kind of movie!
Old 14-05-2012, 14:17   #2174 (permalink)
oli
Chicharito™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Dread 7/10

Dark ending!
Old 14-05-2012, 14:18   #2175 (permalink)
dh
aka Mr Hound

God Bless America, haha.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:25   #2176 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapoted

It's a terrible movie, but I enjoyed it throughout.
God Bless America
4/10 for quality but 8/10 for enjoyment.

Also watched Avengers this weekend. It was alright, I didn't enjoy it as much as the original Iron Man though. I thought I was going to be least interested in Captain America (haven't seen those movies / don't care about him) but I like that they gave him the comedic relief role (although I guess you can make an argument that everyone was) and I ended up enjoying him much more than I thought.

I probably didn't like it that much because origins and character development is the most interesting thing to me in super hero movies, and this had very little of that and was more like a bunch of action scenes shoved in a sitcom.

Also bad-guy was terrible. Since it's obviously loosely modeled after Norse mythology and Loki is supposed to be a 'trickster' he never really did a lot of 'tricking' that wasn't blatantly obvious to the viewer. The guy who played him doesn't sell the role for me either.

The movie was made for everyone who has seen Thor, Captain America, both Iron Man flicks, and The Incredible Hulk. So yes, you're going to be missing their individual origin stories in their team-up flick, because that's really the furthest thing from the point. It's ground well-trodden by their individual films.

You're missing a shitload of context, especially with the Loki/Thor dynamic.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:38   #2177 (permalink)
teapoted
~

I've seen all the movies except Captain America.

I'm not saying that I need more context, I'm just saying that's the part of the movies which I usually like and that this one is void of that. It's not a bad film by any means, I'm just pointing out why I didn't enjoy it as much as other super hero movies. (Like X-men First Class I 'enjoyed' more even though it might not be a better movie, because of what it focused on)
Old 14-05-2012, 14:39   #2178 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

Ah, okay. Sounded to me like you expected the origin stories to be included.

You didn't miss anything with Captain America.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:45   #2179 (permalink)
calder12

Honestly other than Spiderman I just don't give a crap about any of the Marvel super heroes and I think that's the biggest problem with these films for me. I finally watched the first Iron Man simply because of the reviews, which were correct of course the movie was fantastic.

But Thor? Captain America? meh don't care, never did not even as a child.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:47   #2180 (permalink)
teapoted
~

Quote:
Ah, okay. Sounded to me like you expected the origin stories to be included.

You didn't miss anything with Captain America.
Na.

I'm sure most people will enjoy it more than the individual movies. Considering I like the Norton version of Hulk I think I'm in the minority.

Quote:
Honestly other than Spiderman I just don't give a crap about any of the Marvel super heroes and I think that's the biggest problem with these films for me. I finally watched the first Iron Man simply because of the reviews, which were correct of course the movie was fantastic.

But Thor? Captain America? meh don't care, never did not even as a child.
Apparently they can't use Spiderman because he's owned by Sony, or something.

DC/Marvel was never really big when/where I was a kid. The only show I remember watching of theirs was Spiderman and Friends (Whatever it was called, with Iceman), X-Men, and Batman.