Old 18-10-2010, 14:06   #181 (permalink)
b.
mongulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro
Anyone using both Billings and Things? Is there overlap between them, and if so, how much?
Billings is invoices and time-tracking. Things is for to-do lists and organisation.

On The Job also does invoices and time-tracking, but most people I've seen use Billings.

There are loads of task managment apps out there - Things is just the poster child at the moment. Omni Focus has a really deep feature set. It's difficult learn how to use, but apparently it's worth it. [1] [2]

Other contenders:
Alarms €” Task management rethought
TaskPaper €” Simple to-do list software for Mac & iPhone

Check out some more in-depth reviews here: Productivity | Mac.AppStorm

As they say, don't let your task management system get in the way of the tasks themselves. There are loads of options there - download the trials, and see if they work for. Or maybe you're just better off with just pen and paper. Personally I don't do use any of those and stumble blindly through life hoping I meet all my deadlines.
Last edited by b. : Tomorrow at 01:51.
Old 18-10-2010, 14:11   #182 (permalink)
Klang
Going out West

Quote:
Another question - do I need an anti-virus on a mac? Any suggestions?
Nope - I ran Norton on my Mac for 10 months, hoicked it off as it was getting progressively slower on boot-up.

Had a good look through the log file before I did. 1637 instances logged, every one a update, scan or communication with Norton. Not a single file blocked, virus picked up, access attempt blocked. Nothing.
Old 18-10-2010, 14:28   #183 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Haha! That's what I've been doing! Trying to get out of that, the last minute panic is bad for my health.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 19-10-2010, 02:24   #184 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslate
HyperDock

If you are missing the Win7 aero peak and window snapping, this does the same thing for OSX.

I like this one. The window snapping is a great feature.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 19-10-2010, 05:26   #185 (permalink)
Synook
What happened?

Postbox — A Better Way to Do Email - best mail application ever. Pity it isn't free...

Old 19-10-2010, 06:41   #186 (permalink)
hawken

yeah anti-virus is not needed. I too had Norton on my old G4 and it was annoying as shit, never picked up a single dodgy file in 2 years
Old 19-10-2010, 06:43   #187 (permalink)
hawken

Quote:
I like this one. The window snapping is a great feature.

Remember every 3rd party feature is basically like pouring honey over your sleek and finely tuned OS. The more of these you have running in background, the more OSX feels like it's being dragged about.

I had a great one for Finder installed, gave me tabs (which I always wanted) - however it came at a serious performance hit even on the 27"
Old 19-10-2010, 06:47   #188 (permalink)
hawken

iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango

used to be free!! (have it running here) - I'll mail you the free app.

Also, from here super OS X menubar items you can find the all important yet super minimal Bytetastic Software and Design itunes controller
Old 19-10-2010, 11:41   #189 (permalink)
b.
mongulated

^iStat is the best. Happily paid for it, simply to support the developers. That's what I really love about the Mac ecosystem. The devs are all friendly and easy to contact. I've got them all on twitter to keep up with software updates and development news.

New kid on the block on the email front: sparrow - The New Mail for Mac Not really my cup of tea, and it doesn't work with yahoo (yet), but you might want to check it out.
Old 19-10-2010, 17:17   #190 (permalink)
slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken
Remember every 3rd party feature is basically like pouring honey over your sleek and finely tuned OS. The more of these you have running in background, the more OSX feels like it's being dragged about.

I had a great one for Finder installed, gave me tabs (which I always wanted) - however it came at a serious performance hit even on the 27"
I used a version of that as well. No problems though. Even got half the office using it.

I'll second postbox as well, best Mail App on the mac if you ask me, can't stand Mac Mail its so far behind when it comes to mail apps.
Old 20-10-2010, 02:46   #191 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

I personally like Thunderbird, though I say that coming from using Thunderbird on the PC, and not having tried out postbox. Thunderbird is great though, easy to use, supports Imap, message threading, add-ons etc.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 20-10-2010, 10:23   #192 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Mac app threads merged.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 20-10-2010, 11:03   #193 (permalink)
moz
☆!@?$ζ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.
New kid on the block on the email front: sparrow - The New Mail for Mac Not really my cup of tea, and it doesn't work with yahoo (yet), but you might want to check it out.

Just checking it out - my emails all go through gmail so it'll be interesting on how it performs against mailplane and postbox.
Old 20-10-2010, 23:50   #194 (permalink)
rdjpalmer

Certainly a good list on here. Hopefully going to get Coda at some point, but whoever posted Fraise is a god (I can't be bothered to go back through the thread :p). Have been looking around for a decent (free) text editor for my new MBP all day and none seem to work quite as nicely.
Old 25-10-2010, 16:00   #195 (permalink)
robertwilliams

CoolApps: The GIS future is here

Thanks for the information. Its really a good site. I also found a good site.

CoolApps has indeed introduced novel means of exploiting the GIS platform through Web 2.0 interfaces. Log on to apps.cybertech.com.
Old 25-10-2010, 19:17   #196 (permalink)
moz
☆!@?$ζ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjpalmer
Certainly a good list on here. Hopefully going to get Coda at some point, but whoever posted Fraise is a god (I can't be bothered to go back through the thread :p). Have been looking around for a decent (free) text editor for my new MBP all day and none seem to work quite as nicely.

I've actually moved from Coda to Espresso and CSSEdit.

Don't get me wrong, Coda is great but the more updates they've made to it, the more sluggish it seems.
Old 25-10-2010, 22:43   #197 (permalink)
rdjpalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz
I've actually moved from Coda to Espresso and CSSEdit.

Don't get me wrong, Coda is great but the more updates they've made to it, the more sluggish it seems.
I'll take a look at it. I really don't have a big budget now I've spent it all on my MBP, software (adobe suite) and external gear for it (monitor, keyboard, mouse). I've heard good things about both Coda and Espresso though. Will certainly check out the trails closer to the time when I have money.

Cheers.
Old 26-10-2010, 00:57   #198 (permalink)
b.
mongulated

Old 26-10-2010, 13:43   #199 (permalink)
robertwilliams

Thanks for sharing information. Its really a good site. Here I found another site.

CoolApps has indeed introduced novel means of exploiting the GIS platform through Web 2.0 interfaces. apps.cybertech.com.
Old 26-10-2010, 17:03   #200 (permalink)
moz
☆!@?$ζ☆

Don't think this has been added - simple but does a job (and its free for the Mac too ($1.99 for iPhone)):

SimpleTask : no-frills to-do list for Mac and iPhone