Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
rullingen

Good Alternative to Dreamweaver

Hi there folks,

Long story cut short, I'm a long time user of Dreamweaver and as of next week I will not have access to it in my workplace for complicated reasons.

I have been looking for a decent replacement, money is an issue BUT the solution doesn't have to be free, under a 100 would be nice though.

I saw coda which looks amazing but we don't have Macs here which sucks, is there a windows one that is just as nice?

Also a decent CSS editor would be very nice.
and FTP functionality.
And a live design view kinda thing.
And code hinting

Cheers
Old 07-01-2011, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
sub
Cream of DT

Your workplace can't afford to buy software over 100?

Get out of there now!

Klang (mod)
Old 07-01-2011, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
rullingen

I think I might to be honest.

When I started here my job was basically just to promote the company on the web, in print and any other marketing strategies I could think of.

I notified them that I'd need the Creative Suite and a powerful workstation and they said that wasn't a problem and just to start with the free trial and we'd get stuff sorted in time. Took them 2 weeks to sort a workstation. Now the trials coming up to the end they're telling me that they cant do it. Most annoying thing is that I know they're far from skint. The company turns over a profit every year in the millions.
Old 07-01-2011, 16:24   #4 (permalink)
jshultz
Open Sky Media

Send a message via ICQ to jshultz Send a message via MSN to jshultz Send a message via Yahoo to jshultz Send a message via Skype™ to jshultz
Some options

You've got some options:

1. You don't "really" need Creative Suite to do your job. Yes, it will make things easier, but a lot of companies aren't willing to drop $2k on something they are trying out. It sounds like they aren't really into this anyway so your days may be numbered before they decide they don't need you.

2. If they are going to keep it going, but not willing to spend the cash, then at least try to get them to buy photoshop. Out of the entire CS5 suite I own, Photoshop is the one component I use the most. I do all my code in PHPStorm.

3. Start looking for another job before you get canned. I've got a bad feeling about them from what you've wrote so far.
Old 07-01-2011, 17:03   #5 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Lots of people swear by Notepad ++ (free) and I've used it some myself. Not lots, but if I'm somewhere and I need an editor and don't have one handy I've downloaded and used that. It works quite nice. I've never gotten into the FTP in it, but I'm pretty sure it's there. Worth a try.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 07-01-2011, 17:05   #6 (permalink)
sub
Cream of DT

I'm a big advocate of open source software but not when it's being used by companies too tight to spend a few quid on industry standard software.

Tell them to open their fucking wallets.

Klang (mod)
Old 07-01-2011, 17:28   #7 (permalink)
slate

Very limited for choices on the PC. Mac has a tonne of excellent ones, and coda is amazing.

Notepad ++ is decent for editing - pretty barebones though, if you want more of a suite try:

Komodo
Aptana - By far the best free one
Coffee Cup
Old 07-01-2011, 17:57   #8 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Coda definitely is awesome. I saw it a couple of years ago at Hawken's place, and it was one of the first apps I picked up when I got a mac. I love it.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 08-01-2011, 01:45   #9 (permalink)
FellLotus
Drinking gallons of Peppr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub
Your workplace can't afford to buy software over 100?

Get out of there now!

Your workplace can't afford to buy mac and use Coda ?

Get out of there now!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43   #10 (permalink)
rullingen

result

Cheers for the help guys.

Man I wish I had a MacBook, never wished that before!

Randomly I managed to get a 400 budget out of them, So I picked up an old copy of Adobe Photoshop CS4, Sublime Text (which is a pretty awesome program IMO, not on par with Dreamweaver or Coda but still) and also a nifty little CSS Editor called Stylizer 5.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:55   #11 (permalink)
Arties
Beer, Waffles, Chocolate

Goodluck with that! I hope you charge by the hour.
Old 12-01-2011, 14:58   #12 (permalink)
jshultz
Open Sky Media

Send a message via ICQ to jshultz Send a message via MSN to jshultz Send a message via Yahoo to jshultz Send a message via Skype™ to jshultz
A macbook isn't going to make your situation any better.
Old 12-01-2011, 15:44   #13 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

By virtue of the fact that he is using a macbook, his situation will be a little better.

Jaypan | Ramenities
Old 17-01-2011, 22:31   #14 (permalink)
jorre
SolidShops Dev

I've used notepad++, aptana (for php) and don't really miss dreamweaver and I actually own it . If you just write html/css/js, notepad++ is simple but efficient.
Old 17-01-2011, 22:41   #15 (permalink)
David Sims

NetBeans/Eclipse (Zend IDE) are good alternatives if you're looking for an IDE. It took a little time to learn, but I swear by it now.
Old 17-01-2011, 22:51   #16 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

You don't have to spend 2500 on the adobe master suite, as a developer all I need is Photoshop. But if you want Dreamweaver too, then it probably makes sense to get one of the Packages that contains that.

I just use a Text Editor/IDE for doing all my development. All of the following are good, and free... Notepad++, Netbeans, Eclipse, Vim, etc. This might be worth a looksie... Aptana | Studio

For FTP I use FileZilla, also free. I often find the FTP plugins built in to text editors to be pretty shitty.
Old 17-01-2011, 22:57   #17 (permalink)
DKuntz2
umlaut forever!

jEdit is my preferred development tool. When you first install it, it's kinda just a text editor with syntax highlighting, but when you trick it out with a bunch of the nice plugins it's as good as any other IDE.

Plugins I can't live without: BufferTabs (switches from a weird dropdown style file switcher to a tabbed switcher), EditorSchemes for when you don't like the default styles, Console for running command line programs from jEdit (can also be shortcut keyed if you want).