Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27-04-2012, 20:41   #9821 (permalink)
LittleMick
忍者シ&

Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 27-04-2012, 21:05   #9822 (permalink)
Kid.
watching...

It takes an age to load as well. I'm lost. Pls?
Old 27-04-2012, 21:39   #9823 (permalink)
Metalzoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe
I really don't understand the structure of that website.

Why is there a menu wedged between two scrolling galleries of images? Why is the top gallery smaller? Why is the scroll bar showing when virtually all of the content is on the page? Why do all of the thumbnails darken when I hover my mouse over the menu items? Why does the photo of the L.A. hillside stay highlighted in spite of anything I do? Why does the horizontal scroll seem to respond like shit?

Unfortunately any design I brought up was at best a suggestion. I opted for more labels to make the intent of each portion apparent to people and it was repeatedly met with fire and brimstone.

1. The top "minimized" menu is supposed to be the most recent posts. It's supposed to be minimized because the main focus in that page is the category you're viewing, or the category of the post you're viewing.

2. Thumbnails darken because its was far too much clawing for attention when casually browsing a post. They fade into the background so whatever you mouse over is primary focus. Actually this one was my suggestion. Think it'd be better without the fade?

3. This one makes absolutely NO SENSE to me. It's supposed to be a category image but they refuse to label it in any way. There's nothing I've not tried to convince them. The best I could do was the tool tip text that shows up on mouseover.

4. Horizontal Scroll is what it is because I coded it myself. Decided to get my feet wet with js (and there isn't much to learn if I rely on the magic of jQuery) so built all the js functions myself. In retrospect I should have swapped out mine for jQuery in production, till I'm actually competent with it.

Quote:
Also, I'm on Chrome and it's slow as shit.

We've been caching and nuking the cache and rebuilding it for some portions of the project. Also it loads a whole ton of images at once. Somehow down the line, using JSON to call in more posts fell by the wayside and I was forced to make it call an obscene amount of posts at once. Definitely could have been executed better.
Old 28-04-2012, 18:26   #9824 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

Blah blah blah this is why it sucks blah blah can't change anything blah
Old 28-04-2012, 20:02   #9825 (permalink)
Metalzoa

I wouldn't be asking for criticism if i can't change absolutely anything about it. For one, I was absolutely certain that the slow loading can be addressed. I poked around, learned a bit more about javascript and now I'm giving the perception of the page loading a lot faster than it is.

Basically I can't change everything I'd want to, but there's problems I can address. the sluggish feeling it had/has is definitely one of them.
Old 28-04-2012, 20:48   #9826 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

My point is you have all of these elements you're saying you can't change. Did the client design them? They were ideas presented by someone, at some point, and now they're stuck like that. The category image for example. It makes absolutely no sense from even a layman's standpoint. Was it originally presented without a label or any signage to aid users in navigating your site?

Most of us here have been exposed to seriously complex web solutions, and your site appears confusing and poor even to us. So the fact your client can somehow parse that piss poor gallery presentation is fucking incredible. Doubly so considering you've tried everything under the sun to convince them otherwise, as you've said.

Also, why when I click on a thumb from the initial gallery am I then taken to a display of everything that falls in that thumb's category? That's poor assumption. When I go to a news site and click on an article about cancer, the most I'm typically given is an unordered list of related articles. Not a fundamental change to the structure of the site that displays everything related to that one link I clicked.
Old 28-04-2012, 22:19   #9827 (permalink)
Metalzoa

Quote:
My point is you have all of these elements you're saying you can't change. Did the client design them? They were ideas presented by someone, at some point, and now they're stuck like that. The category image for example. It makes absolutely no sense from even a layman's standpoint. Was it originally presented without a label or any signage to aid users in navigating your site?

The original pitch contained a few sketches of how they wanted it to look.
It included these images as "category images". These were legacy items from their weebly-powered site (which they designed) and were migrating from.

They wanted these images because they were "symbolic" to them and the early fans of their blog. I can argue usability and practicality but its hard to tell them their feeling is not likely to be universal or relevant to the site.

It didn't make sense to me and I argued to make it more obvious to visitors but it is what they wanted. The look quickly became something the stakeholders liked and wanted despite what I did or said to fix it.

Quote:
Most of us here have been exposed to seriously complex web solutions, and your site appears confusing and poor even to us. So the fact your client can somehow parse that piss poor gallery presentation is fucking incredible. Doubly so considering you've tried everything under the sun to convince them otherwise, as you've said.

Also, why when I click on a thumb from the initial gallery am I then taken to a display of everything that falls in that thumb's category? That's poor assumption. When I go to a news site and click on an article about cancer, the most I'm typically given is an unordered list of related articles. Not a fundamental change to the structure of the site that displays everything related to that one link I clicked.

It didn't make sense to me either, which is why I initially opted for the site to jump to the actual content. At first I used anchor tags which made it far too sudden, but I ended up using javascript to scroll down to it when the page loaded. That way, you get the content you requested and when you're done, you can head back up and see the "related articles" as well.

Site may not look or feel like something you like, but there's still tons of lessons for me to learn, which is why I posted it up to get torn apart. I'll learn from the objective criticism and learn things for when I get to design better sites.
Old 30-04-2012, 11:52   #9828 (permalink)
Ramzi

I'm finishing up an illustration of a 50's Kodak Retinette I bought this weekend.

Dribbble - Kodak Retinette by Ramzi Mesaddek
Old 30-04-2012, 13:48   #9829 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

Neat?

The labels are off.
Old 30-04-2012, 16:43   #9830 (permalink)
Paddy
Vive la Pirate Bay

Top or bottom?

(The big circles are just for decoration.)

Old 30-04-2012, 16:48   #9831 (permalink)
Starbright
Banned

Bottom
Old 30-04-2012, 16:49   #9832 (permalink)
LittleMick
忍者シ&

Bottom
Old 30-04-2012, 16:56   #9833 (permalink)
calder12

Bottom.
Old 30-04-2012, 17:23   #9834 (permalink)
Pugsley
Life in Process

Like the bottom one as well.

Shouldn't the degree symbol go on the right hand side though? Or is it part of the idea thats its on the left. I do wuite like the chunky font of the sixty on the first one though.

Have you tried one like that? I'm not sure about the texture either for some reason. Might be because I'm only seeing the logo on it's own. Probably works when used alongside other parts of the brand.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:41   #9835 (permalink)
Beartrap
Shadowplay

Quote:
Neat?

The labels are off.

"Neat?"

Haha, dick. I like it.

And bottom as well, what's it for?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29   #9836 (permalink)
Giraffe
Ever the Condescender.

I guess it holds its ground in the annals of camera illustrations created via mirrored gradient meshes.

Sorry if I'm unimpressed, but the wood plank background is just the wrong shade.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45   #9837 (permalink)
Paddy
Vive la Pirate Bay

Just an example of a visual style. It’s not a proper layout.

Old 01-05-2012, 13:02   #9838 (permalink)
calder12

Quite liking the direction that's going in Paddy.
Old 01-05-2012, 13:34   #9839 (permalink)
Arties
Beer, Waffles, Chocolate

I'm not supposed to work today so:

Old 01-05-2012, 16:06   #9840 (permalink)
Paddy
Vive la Pirate Bay

Same idea as before. Just exploring the style.