Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22-12-2005, 13:57   #1 (permalink)
Transmogrify

leaflet sizes

Hey all,

Have somehow managed to get myself designing a leaflet! This could be fun. Does anyone have a list of "standard" leaflet sizes? I know you get all sorts of sizes but I'm looking for the sizes of those narrow leaflets you see all over the place that tend to be folded in two or three. They look about A4 height (if you've got an A4 page layed out landscape) but not sure about width.

Cheers

Alastair
Old 22-12-2005, 14:05   #2 (permalink)
oli
Chicharito™

Old 22-12-2005, 14:06   #3 (permalink)
Transmogrify

cheers oli!
Old 22-12-2005, 14:09   #4 (permalink)
emil
dt immigrant

edit: nevermind, oli beat me to it

some other templates here
http://www.everydayprint.co.uk/standard_sizes.htm
Old 22-12-2005, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Transmogrify

carrying on from this.. my print design experience is a bit limited. Well, it's not having spent 3 years publishing a free punk/board sports zine but publishing a free punk/board sports zine and doing some proper print design for someone who wants it to look good are wo different things.

I'm doing a leaflet for a friend of my sister's who is basically starting a business of botox (and similar) injections, called Revive. I've found a font which I like and is clean and professional looking and come up with this fairly basic logo but it does need work. I really need some pointers here, if anyone can give me any. Basically the logo will be white on a blue textured background of some kind or another, but obviously will be used elsewhere. Any kind of suggestions would be well appreciated! I'm trying to visualise "revive" and I get words like fresh or freshen, renew and so on but unsure how to put those into imagery.

edit: added another slight variation.
Attached Thumbnails
leaflet-sizes-revive.gif  leaflet-sizes-revive2.gif  

Last edited by Transmogrify : 22-12-2005 at 18:56.
Old 22-12-2005, 18:15   #6 (permalink)
Transmogrify

Didn't someone have some leaves they weren't using?
Old 10-01-2006, 17:41   #7 (permalink)
doudoucorp

Don't forget to leave some room around your leaflet for the trim.
Generally you have to leave 1.5mm on each side of your leaflet. This will be the place where your leaflets will be cut.
For example for an A4 leaflet 210*297mm, you should create a document in photoshop with the dimensions 213*300mm.

As well keep a safe area of 4mm (in addition to the 1.5mm) for the text. so the text wont be too close to the edge.
Old 05-07-2006, 21:23   #8 (permalink)
muddy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmogrify
Hey all,

Have somehow managed to get myself designing a leaflet! This could be fun. Does anyone have a list of "standard" leaflet sizes? I know you get all sorts of sizes but I'm looking for the sizes of those narrow leaflets you see all over the place that tend to be folded in two or three. They look about A4 height (if you've got an A4 page layed out landscape) but not sure about width.

Cheers

Alastair

Hi,
I'm in the same boat - I've been asked to design a leaflet and I'm looking for a suitable template - I've got access to indesign and photoshop, but I can't find a suitable template, everything (including the links above) appears to be for an A4 size paper sheet folded twice to make six effective pages. I'm looking for a template I can use in indesign that's effectively two-thirds of a length of A4, which can then be folded in half. If anybody could point me in the direction of one, I'd be very grateful!
PS If that type of leaflet has an official name, I'd love to hear it - I've been googling for hours without specifics to look for!
Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-07-2006, 23:18   #9 (permalink)
sub
Cream of DT

The name of the finished size is DL (99 x 210mm)
Just set-up a document 198 x 210mm with a verticle dashed keyline 99mm (middle), including guides for 3mm for bleed.

— Klang (mod)
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43   #10 (permalink)
muddy face

excellent!
thanks - you've saved me a lot of time!
Old 06-07-2006, 17:46   #11 (permalink)
muddy face

would anybody be able to advise me on margins?
I want the flyer to be fully colour printed, so I assume that I don't want any margins on my indesign document - just the 3mm bleed mentioned above. Is there any reason why I should keep a margin in the document?

edit: also, should I specifically design into the bleed area? i.e. ensure the colours fill the whole space, or should I try to keep the design within the bleed? (It's likely to involve a mainly red background colouring)

thanks!
Old 16-08-2006, 14:38   #12 (permalink)
Lower Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy face
would anybody be able to advise me on margins?
I want the flyer to be fully colour printed, so I assume that I don't want any margins on my indesign document - just the 3mm bleed mentioned above. Is there any reason why I should keep a margin in the document?

edit: also, should I specifically design into the bleed area? i.e. ensure the colours fill the whole space, or should I try to keep the design within the bleed? (It's likely to involve a mainly red background colouring)

thanks!

The point of having bleed is so that you don't get a white edge on the page when the finished sheet is trimmed, especially if it's half a millimetre or so off. So if you have colour (images or solids) right up to the edge of the page, then it should carry on into the bleed area as well. 3mm should be plenty of bleed -- if a printer cut a job of mine less accurately than that, I'd be complaining.

For the same reason you don't want text or crucial parts of image (people's head, etc.) right bang up against the edge of the page either. So allow a bit of space for margins. If you have blocks of text, I find a margin of 5--7mm works well in a leaflet of this size.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:23   #13 (permalink)
Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub
The name of the finished size is DL (99 x 210mm)
Just set-up a document 198 x 210mm with a verticle dashed keyline 99mm (middle), including guides for 3mm for bleed.

WRONG!

The name of the finished size that sub described is 4pp 1/3 A4 (Four printed page, one third A4). DL is an envelope size, which is 110x220mm.

Standard leaflets are usually either 6pp 1/3 A4 Rollfold or 6pp 1/3 A4 Z-fold.

Although 1/3 A4 could describe an A4 page cut vertically, the horizontal cut is the more common format for a leaflet so it isn't usually necessary to specify the actual dimensions unless you specifically want a vertical fold.

:speccygit:

Last edited by sub : 07-05-2009 at 19:38.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17   #14 (permalink)
Alexanda
LDN/MCR

fuckin hell a conversation about print!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40   #15 (permalink)
d*d
Keeping Tom Happy

I'm hiding
Old 06-10-2006, 12:28   #16 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower Case
The point of having bleed is so that you don't get a white edge on the page when the finished sheet is trimmed, especially if it's half a millimetre or so off. So if you have colour (images or solids) right up to the edge of the page, then it should carry on into the bleed area as well. 3mm should be plenty of bleed -- if a printer cut a job of mine less accurately than that, I'd be complaining.

For the same reason you don't want text or crucial parts of image (people's head, etc.) right bang up against the edge of the page either. So allow a bit of space for margins. If you have blocks of text, I find a margin of 5--7mm works well in a leaflet of this size.

yeah unless if you live here... I had a guide come back last week and there was a registration shift of up to 3mm. fuckers!!!!....
Old 06-10-2006, 13:06   #17 (permalink)
sub
Cream of DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
The name of the finished size that sub described is 4pp 1/3 A4 (Four printed page, one third A4). DL is an envelope size, which is 110x220mm.
Well done you. That is correct.
4pp 1/3 A4 is the technical term, but specifying artwork at a finished size for DL is a standard term - which is what the OP was asking for.

— Klang (mod)

Last edited by sub : 07-05-2009 at 19:38.
Old 22-10-2006, 16:31   #18 (permalink)
ajoykumardas

Hi,
The size of the templet depends on purely based on availableity of printable paper(board size). For safe reason before selecting your templet size consult with the printer so that not much of wastage will happen on paper.
Old 22-10-2006, 17:14   #19 (permalink)
Alexanda
LDN/MCR

dont do DL, go mental try different formats
Old 06-02-2013, 21:34   #20 (permalink)
Mohi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmogrify
Hey all,

Cheers

Alastair

Google for Standard Paper Sizes, and blank AI Templates with bleed. I am sure you will be able to easily find a lot of useful blank templates for graphic design.