Old 02-01-2010, 00:12   #1 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Opinion please

Hello all, happy new years.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the following design, cheers.

Last edited by CartoonScott : 02-01-2010 at 04:02.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:26   #2 (permalink)
the4thversion
bit of a tard

Dodgy kerning on 'Branding'.

If you want a clover you'll have to draw it, the photo turned solid block of colour look messy. With the photo itself being pretty rubbish.
The paint splats really don't work either, they look like they have been added with no thought at all.

I'd start again. Get sketching some more ideas and see what comes up.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
HalfMachine

i'd agree with previous post. Lose all the 4 colour photo's and effects, they should ALWAYS be ignored when creating a new device or brand identity.

Luck part: Is luck a good word to use? It may give the audience the suggestion you are stumbling across your solutions rather than being in control of the right solution through knowledge and ability. Don't know what anyone else thinks???
Either way the balance of sizing for the word luck and branding needs to be addressed i.e: make the luck the same size as branding font size or much closer.

Fonts nice on branding but change the kerning to allow more white space, this will help when being reduced in size and being used small. Try and work in black and white as it will strip to basics, no effects wil make it work if it doesn't work. I would look at creating your own clover device if that's the go, experiment with subtle integration to the logo type in a few versions and also research other icons and imagery that express the lucky subject.

Just thought, if you created a lower case b in that font and created 4 of them in total you could have a play with those as they are the ideal shape for the clover leaf. Rotate 1 90˚, Rotate 1 -90˚another 180˚ and another another -180˚. Tidy up the ascenders and help them integrate into a device. Just clear and clean and not too busy.

Hope this helps but with a logo and identity work – less is more.
Clever needs to be apt for the audience, memorable and iconic

Last edited by HalfMachine : 02-01-2010 at 12:11.
Old 02-01-2010, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Maerk
Doodler.

Lens flares, bevel... do you really need to be told not to do these things? Colours that look like they won't print either.

Upload Pie The Simple Image Sharing Tool
Old 02-01-2010, 16:54   #5 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

I don't think you quite understand logo/identity design yet. Alway think about how the logo will look when reproduced really large and really small and don't be afraid to keep it simple. Think about all the major brands such as CokeCola, FedEx, Shell, Adidas, Nike, VW etc. They all have a simple and memorable logo. How often do you see photograph, bevel and lens flare used in logo design? Hope these articles might help and if you want to stick at logo design considering buying Logo by Michael Evamy.

Ten logo design tips from the field | Logo Design Love
The best logos are simple | Logo Design Love
Logo: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Evamy: Books

P.s... I might be showing myself up but what has a clover got to do with luck?
Old 02-01-2010, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
steveb
BitterHusk Original™

Occidentals in North-Western Europe commonly believe that finding a clover with four leaves rather than the usual three means good fortune. The belief has spread even as far as Finland where the accursed weed doesn't even grow, but most people "know" what a four-leafer means.
Old 02-01-2010, 17:59   #7 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

You learn something new everyday. I'm with HalfMachine that luck branding isn't really a good name to use for a branding company.
Old 02-01-2010, 18:16   #8 (permalink)
Maerk
Doodler.

Indeed, unless you're Irish and really playing the luck of the irish card hammily, it's not a winner. You don't want someone who with some luck will do you a good job, you want someone who WILL do you a good job.

Old 02-01-2010, 18:35   #9 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Thanks for the advice. Branding is a new area for me and it is something I want to develope, so your comments are really helpful.

I suppose I thought 'LUCK' would work as brand designs which will work well for you, bring you luck, and also it sounds like LOOK, looking at brands as its all visual. I dunno, maybe a stupid idea.

Heres a revise Ive just done but Ive got some more ideas to play with

Old 02-01-2010, 18:39   #10 (permalink)
Maerk
Doodler.

Seems very odd that you're designing a logo for a branding company when you freely admit this is an area you know next to nothing about. Surely a broader design focus would be more helpful while you get up to speed on branding and logo design.

In terms of look these are better, except the last being absolutely awfully rammed full of luck themed clip art, but the luck = look thing really isn't working, and I really don't rate selling yourself as being a lucky option unless there's some really serious reasoning to back it up.

Old 02-01-2010, 19:45   #11 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Its something I'm experimenting with, its not something I'm actually launching yet, just a learning period. You'll probably not like this then, but if I went with the first one above as the logo, then this was something to use as a page header

Old 02-01-2010, 20:00   #12 (permalink)
Maerk
Doodler.

Lens flare, paint splatters, why? What's it saying? Where are you getting this idea of creating a logo with the intention of making a mess under it/over it as a good idea?

Old 02-01-2010, 20:01   #13 (permalink)
jamblo
Tea Snob

No need for all the styling...

Old 02-01-2010, 20:48   #14 (permalink)
CartoonScott

I just like the look of paint splats, like a piece of art in process, mixing of colours, creative creation. OK, I'm very most likely wrong.

Thanks for the suggestions James, I know that simple is quite often the best and most effective route, but I'm just playing with ideas. I've actually got an illustration job I should be doing but this has got my attention at the moment

I've just done this design. Maybe instead of doing something specific for one area, I'll just have a different logo I use for different types of cilents

Last edited by CartoonScott : 02-01-2010 at 21:18.
Old 02-01-2010, 23:13   #15 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

Right... now turn everything into 100% black. Does the logo still work? Can you still see the word luck? I'm guessing that when everything is black the logo is just a black splattering mess. A logo needs to work in black. This is what I mean when I say you're not getting it and I know you say you're trying to learn but I feel things are just going in one ear and out of the other. If you had read the articles I suggested to you... you would have designed the logo in black first then realised that the above logo doesn't work, you would have also learnt to give the viewers 1 thing to remember. On third logo there's a horse shoe and a clover! That's 2 things.

We don't mind helping but you have to listen

EDIT: I just realised that you said the above image is only a website header and not the actual logo but you shouldn't really do that unless you're an estabished company like AOL... it confuses people.

Last edited by Mandy Moo : 02-01-2010 at 23:30.
Old 02-01-2010, 23:28   #16 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Hello

I am listening, upon reading your advice I went off and created this

and this

The one you have above, with the paint splats, I said would be used at the top of a web page, like a banner and nothing else, I also conceded that it is probably a bad idea. So please don't think I am not taking your advice. Yes the horse shoe one is utter shit. I've been looking around some brand consultancy sites and I suppose they made me lean on the colour idea but Ill stop that now, like you said, just black and white.
Old 02-01-2010, 23:49   #17 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

Well looking at your latest logo design. I already think that if the logo was scaled down small... the text design will be too fine and the inner nib bit would be lost. I think so far the top black and white one is the best one. Are you definately set on keeping it as Luck Branding? If so maybe look at different concepts around the word 'luck'.

Looking around now. Lots of companies seems to use a clover or horse shoes to represent luck... it's a bit too obvious. I wonder whether you can incorporate something like this...

in your logo? In chinese culture it means lucky. But maybe it's not obvious enough? Or it might not even work when simplified. But look at different ways to signify luck.

Last edited by Mandy Moo : 03-01-2010 at 00:00.
Old 03-01-2010, 00:06   #18 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Again, thanks for the advice and I have taken on board what you are all saying, pehaps LUCK isnt right at all, like you say, a designer should be able to get the right design because he is talented, not lucky. So perhaps I should stick with Scott Evans Designs, or SE Designs and have one logo that I use when contacting my illustration base customers, and a more contemporary design whe contacting companies that won't want a fun, loud design. Here's another verison of the one above, just slightly tweaked. Ive just read your comments about the width so I'll see what I can alter.

Old 03-01-2010, 00:28   #19 (permalink)
CartoonScott

Old 03-01-2010, 13:58   #20 (permalink)
CartoonScott

I tried doing this as SE on top. then DESIGNS going vertically down but it looked a bit too much. I know this design hasn't got the play with imagary as the previous verison has, with the nib also doubling as the i in design, but perhaps it works just as a simple logo.

I've been looking at some of your works and there is a lot of fantastic designs out there, which are very inspiring. At the moment I'm doing a lot of cartoon driven designs, because this is what I am contacted to do 99% of the time. However, it is more contemporary logo design that really has my interest, I love the subtle genuise of the great ones. I'm going to study the art more carefully and then hopefully I can contact some agencies and offer to do work for free, in order to build up my portfolio more. Does this sound like a good plan, or won't agencies be interested.

Here's another idea for SE designs. I think it needs a better font on the designs text but Ill have to sort that later as I have a design job I really should be doing instead

Last edited by CartoonScott : 03-01-2010 at 14:38.