Old 03-08-2011, 06:03   #1 (permalink)
krista.susanne

line breaks in textarea

Hi.

I'm pretty well a newbie at all this so I'm probably asking a stupid question, oh well I shall ask anyway.

I have an assignment for which I have to input text into a text input, outputting in into a text area. I have this working, however I need line breaks between the values which I can't seem to work out.

Here is the code I have so far
Code:
<html> <head> <script type="text/javascript"> function add() { document.getElementById("answer").value+=parseFloat(document.getElementById("num1").value); } </script> <body> <input type="text" id="num1"></input> <input type="button" value="Add to list" onclick="add();"></input> <br /> <textarea name="text" rows="5"cols="5" readonly="readonly" id="answer"></textarea> </body> </html>

I need to be able to input individual values in the text box, and have them add to the list of values it is creating in the textarea.

Any help appreciated
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
calder12

Code:
document.getElementById("answer").value+=parseFloat(document.getElementById("num1").value) + '<br />';

Should do it.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
krista.susanne

Thanks for that, I tried it, but it's simply inputting '<br />' into the textarea
Old 03-08-2011, 08:02   #4 (permalink)
krista.susanne

never mind, I replaced "<br />" with "\n" and problem is solved! thanks for your help though!
Old 03-08-2011, 13:47   #5 (permalink)
calder12

Oh, sorry was very late here, didn't read all the code. I thought you were just inputting the answers into a div not an actual text area.

Glad you got it sorted though.