Old 17-09-2010, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

Interview tips

I've got a really important interview next week. To put it frankly, it's my dream job. So I need to make sure I'm the best I can be on the day. I've downsized my folio to A3, bought a nice new book to present it in, work will be printed tomorrow. Pretty much all set.

Anyone have any last minute advice on questions they might ask me so I can prepare? One question that pops up everytime is the 'so tell me abit about yourself'. What do you normally go through? Previously I've mentioned I graduated with a BA(hons) in Graphic Design in 2003, a little bit about my 1st job, 2nd job and current job. The end. Is that right? Is that what they wanted to know when they ask that question?

Anymore advice?
Old 17-09-2010, 16:16   #2 (permalink)
LittleMick
忍者シ&

Be prepared for the old "What is your biggest weakness?"

It is always a hard one to get right.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:32   #3 (permalink)
jamblo
Tea Snob

And make sure that biggest weakness is actually a strength... i.e. "I am a complete perfectionist..."
Old 17-09-2010, 16:33   #4 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMick
Be prepared for the old "What is your biggest weakness?"

It is always a hard one to get right.
Honesty? My biggest weakness is that I need a lot of mental stimulation. I've been so used to working under a lot of pressure that when I was made redundant a year and a half ago and I worked in a factory for 6 months, I couldn't cope with the lack of metal stimulation. I was so bored I got frustrated and because I didn't have to use my head so much my short term memory became poor and at night my brain would go into overdrive so I couldn't sleep. This is also the reason why I excel when working under pressure. Is that a bad one to say as a weakness?
Old 17-09-2010, 16:33   #5 (permalink)
Klang
Going out West

No, they've already read your CV. Tell them a bit about yourself.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:37   #6 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

What like hobbies and interest?
Old 17-09-2010, 16:39   #7 (permalink)
Anxious
'

Someone sent me a list of the typical HR questions you might get asked. I'll dig them out and get them to you. It's the usual stuff 'why should I hire you?' 'are you a team player?', 'what's the worst thing you've ever done?', 'you're in a situation where a team member is being a prick, what do you do?' etc.

It can be quite handy.

I'll get that to you if I can find it.

And congratulations on landing an interview for your dream job! They don't come around often.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
Klang
Going out West

Yeah and stuff about where you are in life. Half the interview is about who you are as much as what you can do and if you'll be a good fit personality wise in the office.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:40   #9 (permalink)
slate

Be every bit yourself, don't try to over impress.

ALWAYS go in with background knowledge of the company. So look into past projects, dig a little deeper and bring them up if the change arises. "I really loved the typography on that poster series you did for blah blah blah..."

Business owners love that shit, they want to know they did a good job, and it shows that you are knowledgable not only about design but already know the company background.

If its an interview with a few people, use google to your advantage, find out a bit about each person and try to work that information into answers. Someone might really love football, so if you play football in your spare time, mention it, it will strike a conversation with that person helping establish that original bond.

If you do get the job, always do a little extra at the beginning. If something isn't in your job title and have some extra time, try to get it done.
Old 17-09-2010, 16:52   #10 (permalink)
Mandy Moo
Graphic Developer

Thanks everyone. Been really useful so far. Keep em coming!
Old 08-01-2014, 15:28   #11 (permalink)
EricLarson
STRUGM0DE

Just got a call about a job interview and I'm curious about how to present some of the areas I've worked in.

I've had success in search optimization and have charts to prove this, would this be something to bring?
Email marketing - how does one showcase their digital work in an interview?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:43   #12 (permalink)
handcraftedweb
Indeed. Er, I mean what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate
Be every bit yourself, don't try to over impress.

Yes. Don't over think your answers. You are what you are and if what you are isn't what they want then it's not the end of the world, it was an interesting learning experience.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12   #13 (permalink)
Shiro
社長

Don't ask about money or other benefits in the interview. If they ask how much you want to be paid, tell them you'd like to first determine if they want you to work for them. If they keep pushing, ask them what they are offering. Remember, an interview goes both ways. Any good employer will recognize this.

I know that's not exactly what you were asking, but it's good interview advice regardless.

Jaypan | Ramenities