Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2009, 18:35   #1 (permalink)
samdutton

Text 'spokes' radiating from centre in Photoshop or Illustrator?

Is there any way to create a 'spoked' text effect in Photoshop or Illustrator?

Ideally, I want to enter multiple lines of text in text box, then have each line radiate out from the centre of a circle.

I've seen a suggestion on an Adobe forum, but it doesn't really answer the question.

I've also semi-automating the process with an action, but haven't managed anything useful.

Pointers or suggestions much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2009, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Jed Hunter
Creative Artworker

Draw your spokes shape from the centre out ie start at the centre and make the outer points for each spoke. Then use the type on path tool. Click on one of the 'spokes' start entering your text if it's from a whole paragraph copy and paste it on the first spoke. You'll get a red overflow box—click it with the arrow tool and select the next spoke. You'll get another red + box click on that repeat until you've selected all the spokes. You can put an enter character to break the text where you want to.

You'll probably need to adjust the spokes/text starting locations afterwards in order to get the desired effect.

I'm not sure what part of the process you want to automate. You could create one and then just reuse it by deleting all the text. If you're after some sort or script that's beyond the scope of this answer and I'd need more info on what you are trying to achieve.

Can you give some more info on what you are trying to do? I'm not sure if this is what you are after or not.

Cheers,

Adam

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention I'd do the above in Illustrator.