Old 18-08-2009, 10:42   #1 (permalink)
route609
Paul Wallas; Web Designer

Pantone Colour Help

Hi

Does anybody know the RGB/CMYK For the pantone colour PMS Gold?

I have had a proof sent to me that uses the colour PMS Gold but i cannot seem to see this in the pantone bridge. Also a new company i want to send the proof to is saying that PMS Gold is not a Pantone Colour?

Thanks
Old 18-08-2009, 10:44   #2 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

it is a Metallic not a colour. It does not have a four colour mix... It ends up looking brown/green.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:51   #3 (permalink)
Cooper

Well, a gold pantone would be one of their metallic colours, which can't physically be reproduced with CMYK or RGB because it requires a metallic pigment, so when it's printed or converted to CMYK or RGB it will just appear as a yellowy brown colour so you can't really get any sort of idea what it will look like either on screen or on a conventionally printed proof.

An exact reference for a gold Pantone would be 871, 872 or 873. 874, 875 and 876 are more 'copper'. 877 is silver, but you should refer to a printed Pantone colour chart to get a good reckoning on the exact sort of gold you are looking for.

Note that you will only be able to print with a metallic pantone if you are using Litho, Screen, Flexography or similar printing. Digital printing or the like doesn't generally offer the option of specifying Pantones and the best they would be able to do is colour match, which as I've explained isn't possible with a metallic Pantone.
Old 18-08-2009, 11:13   #4 (permalink)
route609
Paul Wallas; Web Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper
Well, a gold pantone would be one of their metallic colours, which can't physically be reproduced with CMYK or RGB because it requires a metallic pigment, so when it's printed or converted to CMYK or RGB it will just appear as a yellowy brown colour so you can't really get any sort of idea what it will look like either on screen or on a conventionally printed proof.

An exact reference for a gold Pantone would be 871, 872 or 873. 874, 875 and 876 are more 'copper'. 877 is silver, but you should refer to a printed Pantone colour chart to get a good reckoning on the exact sort of gold you are looking for.

Note that you will only be able to print with a metallic pantone if you are using Litho, Screen, Flexography or similar printing. Digital printing or the like doesn't generally offer the option of specifying Pantones and the best they would be able to do is colour match, which as I've explained isn't possible with a metallic Pantone.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will find out what printing methods the new company is using
Old 18-08-2009, 11:14   #5 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

and where is my thank you?... hmmm
Old 18-08-2009, 11:15   #6 (permalink)
scrooble
One Pint or Two Love

thank you for being you cocknose
Old 18-08-2009, 11:25   #7 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

much appreciated
Old 18-08-2009, 11:55   #8 (permalink)
TeZ
Elbow Patches Included

haha, poor cocknose.

pretty much put what I was going to, in as brief a manner as is needed.