Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14-05-2012, 14:13   #1 (permalink)
seventeenfour
Grumpy Developer

Mac for web development advice

I'm soon going to be in the market for a new development machine and switching sides to Mac is an option. I don't really know too much about the Apple side of things, though I have used one or two at work in the past.

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be a good development machine? Software wise the most demanding things I see it running are Adobe Fireworks and possibly Parallels for Windows browser testing, I'm a developer rather than a designer. I'll probably run a local web server too for PHP and possibly Rails.

Other than that it probably won't be used for anything more than looking at funny cat pictures on the interwebs and of course reading this fantastic forum, but that goes without saying.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Thomas
Old 14-05-2012, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
d*d
Keeping Tom Happy

here we go....
Old 14-05-2012, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
teapoted
~

Have you thought about linux?
Old 14-05-2012, 14:24   #4 (permalink)
calder12

ha.

Is there really a practical reason to switch? Power wise there is very little to choose between them, they both crash, they both can get viruses. Macs are more expensive but much prettier.

If you're comfortable with Windows I honestly don't see why you would switch, the learning curve would be enough to nullify any gains you'd achieve as far as I can tell.

PS. As a developer does it really matter at all? Text editors run on anything...
Old 14-05-2012, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
emil
dt immigrant

Low end of the budget: get a mac mini.

If you want portability look at a 15 inch MBP. (there are rumours of new ones round the corner if you can wait).

You'll want to max the memory on any mac you get, but don't buy it from apple. Get it from crucial or other top brands (all my macs had samsung memory chips in them) and install it yourself. It's much cheaper that way.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:39   #6 (permalink)
seventeenfour
Grumpy Developer

teapoted - I have looked at Linux and thats another option for me, I'm happy enough installing a distro from scratch. I just want to know what my options are.

calder12 - The main reason is for a bit of a change. I've been on Windows now for a VERY long time and I'm looking for a bit of a change. Linux is a possibility too.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:43   #7 (permalink)
d*d
Keeping Tom Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder12
Is there really a practical reason to switch? Power wise there is very little to choose between them, they both crash, they both can get viruses. Macs are more expensive but much prettier.

that's a beautifully passive aggressive attack on macs. Viruses are much more of a PC issue - you don't need to run virus software on a mac

Aside from being pretty, the best advantage for a mac is that you can run windows on a mac using Parallels or boot camp, there is no (non hack) way to run OSX on a PC

if budget is an issue or you like to tinker with the hardware then go for PC
Old 14-05-2012, 14:47   #8 (permalink)
LukeV

I went for a macbook pro about a year ago and I don't regret it. Granted, I didn't have much of a choice because I needed something I can develop for iOS with. So if that's something that interests you, I'd say go for it.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:50   #9 (permalink)
calder12

Quote:
Originally Posted by d*d
that's a beautifully passive aggressive attack on macs. Viruses are much more of a PC issue - you don't need to run virus software on a mac

Aside from being pretty, the best advantage for a mac is that you can run windows on a mac using Parallels or boot camp, there is no (non hack) way to run OSX on a PC

if budget is an issue or you like to tinker with the hardware then go for PC

Okay some points you obviously missed.

Macs are prettier, if I had the money to burn I personally would have one for that fact alone. What exactly did you see as an attack? The power differences are negligible, they both run the same hardware and Macs are about 40% more expensive... it was a fact not a slander.

Two, you actually should run AV software on a Mac because they are no less vulnerable than PC's are, the only thing that makes it a bigger issue on PC's is the number of people writing viruses for PC's is exponentially higher than those writing them for Macs. Anyone that thinks a Mac cannot get a virus simply because it's a Mac obviously has no idea about computers and should not be giving advice.

I suppose running the opposite operating system without hacks is a plus, but not really a big enough one to make the decision for me, especially considering the easiest way to do it is a hardware "hack" meaning a pretty stable system.

I find it funny you're the one that posted "here we go" yet you're the only one that seemed offended by what I said, which was completely true btw.
Old 14-05-2012, 14:55   #10 (permalink)
teapoted
~

I don't run AV on my PC.

But my laptop has a manufacturing problem (overheating, 80c on idle) so I'm going to say fuck you to Sony and get a mac next, even if I just install W7 on it the hardware is superior in every way.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:05   #11 (permalink)
calder12

O.o how is the hardware superior in every way? Not being facetious just curious. I suppose I understand with laptops, the build quality is good but I've heard horror stories about Mac's too (isn't it drik they're asking 550 euros for a motherboard from?) Other than that for desktops the hardware is basically exactly the same since Mac's went Intel again other than the motherboards.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:08   #12 (permalink)
teapoted
~

I'm talking about laptops yes. You can't buy a PC that's as well built as a Mac and get the same level of care.

If you think you can, let me know.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:10   #13 (permalink)
LittleMick
忍者シ&

Don't have any AV software on my Mac.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:11   #14 (permalink)
Signum
Bliss™

Are you happy now, seventeenfour?
Old 14-05-2012, 15:12   #15 (permalink)
d*d
Keeping Tom Happy

Quote:
Okay some points you obviously missed.
really - is your life that empty

Quote:
Macs are prettier, if I had the money to burn I personally would have one for that fact alone. What exactly did you see as an attack? The power differences are negligible, they both run the same hardware and Macs are about 40% more expensive... it was a fact not a slander.

a monkeys chuff i could not give about why you would buy a mac, maybe you don't realise you were being passive aggressive - I now think it's subconscious issues over money and self worth bubbling to the surface.

Anyway 'attack' because you outlined 'being pretty' as the the reason to get a mac

Quote:
Two, you actually should run AV software on a Mac because they are no less vulnerable than PC's are,

This is true, but there's a good reason you need virus software on PC and not so much on a Mac

Quote:
the only thing that makes it a bigger issue on PC's is the number of people writing viruses for PC's is exponentially higher than those writing them for Macs.

That's the reason - I've never needed anti virus software on my Mac

Quote:
Anyone that thinks a Mac cannot get a virus simply because it's a Mac obviously has no idea about computers and should not be giving advice.

*yawn* yes, yes - macs can get viruses, I get the point

Quote:
I suppose running the opposite operating system without hacks is a plus, but not really a big enough one to make the decision for me

Again about you, this isn't about you

Quote:
especially considering the easiest way to do it is a hardware "hack" meaning a pretty stable system.

Still a hack

Quote:
I find it funny you're the one that posted "here we go" yet you're the only one that seemed offended by what I said, which was completely true btw.

Didn't say it wasn't - paranoid and suffering from issues about self worth, you have my pity
Old 14-05-2012, 15:12   #16 (permalink)
calder12

I'm really pleased so far with my HP Pro Book 4530s it does lack in a few aspects though design wise. The resolution is shit compared to an MBP and the Intel Graphics aren't great (but I have no idea what MBP's use).

It's an aluminium shell just like the Mac and pretty substantially cheaper, comes with Win 7 pro as well which doesn't hurt any. There are a lot of things to like about it and not many to dislike.

The only care issue I've had was the fingerprint scanner quit working, they sent me a box within a day, I shipped it back on the Wednesday, it was fixed on the Friday and I got it back Monday morning. No complaints there either.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:15   #17 (permalink)
calder12

Quote:
Originally Posted by d*d
snip

You're still boring...

I suppose the one mistake I admit to is the use of the word prettier without defining what I meant. Which is the actual on screen output and the fact Mac's are much higher resolution than the average PC is especially for laptops.

Opinions are about the person giving them... no argument that my opinions were based on me, why would I argue that?

Good, see now you've corrected the comment that Mac's don't need AV.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:21   #18 (permalink)
LukeV

Quote:
I'm really pleased so far with my HP Pro Book 4530s it does lack in a few aspects though design wise. The resolution is shit compared to an MBP and the Intel Graphics aren't great (but I have no idea what MBP's use).

It's an aluminium shell just like the Mac and pretty substantially cheaper, comes with Win 7 pro as well which doesn't hurt any. There are a lot of things to like about it and not many to dislike.

The only care issue I've had was the fingerprint scanner quit working, they sent me a box within a day, I shipped it back on the Wednesday, it was fixed on the Friday and I got it back Monday morning. No complaints there either.

What's the touchpad like?
Old 14-05-2012, 15:22   #19 (permalink)
drik
techno drik

Quote:
The power differences are negligible, they both run the same hardware and Macs are about 40% more expensive...

Apple creates full systems, hardware and software are aligned with each other.
PC's are a total mess on that area as they their hardware differs from each other.

Therefor, an advantage for a streamlined computer system for Apple.
Old 14-05-2012, 15:23   #20 (permalink)
calder12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeV
What's the touchpad like?

It's okay, I really like the fact that I can turn it on or off with a double tap. It has the swipe gestures too. I can't compare it to how Apple's work though I've never used an Apple one.

And to be completely honest I only use it when I'm on the go, I much prefer a mouse to any touchpad I've ever used.