Reply Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53   #1 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

HP laptops, any good?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a laptop for work for awhile now. In my mind HP make pretty decent stuff, I have had a lot of printers from them and people have recommended their servers as being good quality too.

I am not looking for anything special, just going to install Linux on it and use it for developing PHP & MySQL websites, and possibly attempt to learn some c/c++ programming to create some cross platform applications. Will also be making use of GIMP.

My main problem so far with laptops has been reliability, and that is really what I am after now. There are alot of makes on the market now, who change ownership regularly (aka. gateway), so I am finding it hard to know who to trust.

The missus had a dell, which died, found the problem to be the motherboard, replaced the motherboard, it died again. It also ran very hot, making it uncomfortable to use in summer.

My brother has had a toshiba one too, even though the battery died within a year, and it sometimes comes up with OS not found errors when booting up, it is still working nearly 5 years later.

I was in staples the other day, and saw a HP Pavilion DV6231. It was about 4pm, and considering the demo laptop had been running Vista running a Vista presentation app all day, on a hot day, it wasn't hot to the touch. What also appealed was there was an off switch for the touchpad, as they can get annoying if accidently touch it if you are coding.

Realistically I won't be on the move every day with it, but there will be times where I will need to show a client what work I have done, and it would help to be able to take it to a meeting and let them have a go.

Hopefully it should work under Linux, the only exception to that being the "multimedia" buttons, and perhaps getting the internal wireless to work. As I had problems with getting the Dell to connect to any wireless.
Old 09-04-2007, 13:10   #2 (permalink)
.Ryan

I got mine not last october, the one before, it stuffed up after a couple of months - a blow fuse or something. Sent it back in they fixed it, and there hasn't been a problem since.

So mine has been reliable.
Old 09-04-2007, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

hmmm actually the business laptops seem to be a bit better value for money, and apparently better quality build?

HP Compaq nx6325 Business Notebook PC

Packed full of innovative features and equipped with the latest AMD Mobile Technology to deliver the perfect blend of productivity and security at an exceptional price.
£ 456.70 (exc.VAT)
Specifications
#
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Mobile TL-60 2.00 GHz, 2x512 Mo Cache
#
FreeDOS (localisation : United Kingdom)
#
1024 MB 667 MHz DDRII (1 DIMM)
#
100 GB 5400 rpm
#
DVD+/-RW DL
#
15.0 inches TFT SXGA +
#
56 Kbds modem
#
Integrated Bluetooth Module
#
Broadcom 802.11 a/b/g ROW
#
No security option
#
52 Wh 6 cells Primary battery
#
Keyboard + DualPoint (localisation : United Kingdom)
#
Hardware Kit 65 Watts (localisation : United Kingdom)
#
1 year global warranty
Old 09-04-2007, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
theantidote
can't draw but can code

For reliability go with IBM, even though they're made by Chinese people now they are still really reliable. I fix a lot of HPs because of hardware failures. The most common issue is the power jack breaking or malfunctioning, and it's a bitch to repair.

Dells are cheap too and I think more reliable, even though there are plenty of people who will probably argue otherwise. Sony laptops are overpriced pieces of shit.

Acer laptops are also good cheap ones. In fact if you're looking for the best cheap laptop I'd go with an Acer. I never have to fix those.
Old 09-04-2007, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

macbook!!! Mmmmm
Old 09-04-2007, 22:02   #6 (permalink)
plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocknose
macbook!!! Mmmmm

Yea, definately Apple! Screw PCs you can run Windows on the intelMacs anyway if you really need to for a couple of apps...
Old 09-04-2007, 22:24   #7 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

I would like a macbook, but seriously can't afford it. Also not sure wether it would be as good as Linux for developing PHP/MySQL on localhost.
Old 09-04-2007, 22:35   #8 (permalink)
Herr Kurm
ding dong

linux runs on everything
Old 09-04-2007, 22:41   #9 (permalink)
theantidote
can't draw but can code

I use a PII 400mhz box I found in the dumpster to test PHP/SQL pages. I use my Mac with Textmate to code though. Textmate is like sex in a text editor.
Old 09-04-2007, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
samuelcotterall
Interactionist

You can pick up a fairly late PowerBook G4 for that sort of money.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:27   #11 (permalink)
cocknose
What's a Mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelcotterall
You can pick up a fairly late PowerBook G4 for that sort of money.

you can't run windows on the powerbook though. . .
Old 10-04-2007, 15:42   #12 (permalink)
Herr Kurm
ding dong

I understood that he doesnt need windows at all?

freelancr if you are not buying a mac consider getting a laptop with Atheros wifi chip in it instead of usual Broadcom CRAP, I heard they were nicely supported under linux.
Old 10-04-2007, 20:52   #13 (permalink)
Cborrow
I like code.

Send a message via AIM to Cborrow
Old 12-04-2007, 16:06   #14 (permalink)
fracture

I had a bad experience with a HP/Compaq NX notebooks. It gave up 1 month out of warranty, HP said the motherboard had failed and they would replace it for about 400. I did some digging and discovered the X1000 Forums for owners of HP laptops. It seemed the problem with my model was rife and not just a one off. It wasn't actually the mobo that was knackered it was the connection between the graphics card and the mobo that had been broken due to excessive heat and warping of the card. HP continually denied any knowledge of this. I eventually gave up and bought a new notebook. This is just me though, I'm sure there a plenty of people with nicely running HP notebooks.

I think it's a bit of a gamble with most PC notebooks and I'd find it hard to recommend a really reliable brand. Whatever brand you go for I think it's definitely worth considering setting aside some of your budget for an extended warranty.
Old 13-04-2007, 07:41   #15 (permalink)
emil
dt immigrant

Don't get an hp. There are several (6 or 7) here in my office. All went back to service with motherboard or hdd failure. Overpriced corporate-oriented-pieces-of-shit.
Old 13-04-2007, 10:49   #16 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

cheers for the replies dudes, now I havent got a clue what to get!
Old 13-04-2007, 12:13   #17 (permalink)
mike_m
Work faster microphone ..

if you're just looking for a very solid and reliable intel laptop, go for a lenovo. It's the company that used to make IBM's Laptops. Very good value for money and pretty tough. Just go to dabs, and drill down using your requirements.
Old 13-04-2007, 16:42   #18 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m
if you're just looking for a very solid and reliable intel laptop, go for a lenovo. It's the company that used to make IBM's Laptops. Very good value for money and pretty tough. Just go to dabs, and drill down using your requirements.

Apparently their "thinkpads" are well suited to Linux too as there are intel drivers for most stuff, but alas they aren't cheap and according to Dabs all of them have a maximum resolution of 1024x768.

I have installed ubuntu linux on my desktop machine now, so I think I shall save up and have a think about getting one.
Old 16-04-2007, 13:56   #19 (permalink)
Paperboy
Web Designer

Man, just a little advice.. don't miss judge a producer for what happend to 3 or 4 guys... i had a hp and a friend dell, now i'm having an ASUS... and had no problems for years... it's just a matter of luck or how you handle it... I've heard good things about Fujitsu too... or IMB... just get to a showroom and try them, an buy what you like most... mine has 3 years warranty ... and in 3 years it will be long gone... so what's the problem? (excuse my english)
Old 16-04-2007, 14:16   #20 (permalink)
freelancr
Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy
mine has 3 years warranty ... and in 3 years it will be long gone... so what's the problem? (excuse my english)

Usually a 3 year warranty costs about £250 in this country, and I would like something I could be spending £500-£1000 on to last 3 years regardless of luck. Obviously I will be taking care of it, but that doesn't mean people with fucked laptops didn't take care of it. I haven't heard any complaints about ASUS to be honest, and their non-laptop stuff seems to be the choice of gamers too, so perhaps I will go with them.

Oh, and laptops in showrooms here are the cheapest, nastiest things ever.