Old 08-08-2010, 22:10   #1 (permalink)
G6ultra
Lover of Life

What to look for in a web host?

Hey,

What do you look for in a web host? How do you know a web host is good or not?

Old 08-08-2010, 23:37   #2 (permalink)
jcorradino
I like turtles

well... I have been using FatCow up until recently to host my personal site... and I was happy about everything but the fact that they don't allow complete access to the box. (not a big deal if you don't know what "ssh" is)

I have to deal with MediaTemple at work for most of the work sites, and I honestly have to say that I completely despise them. The suck lessens up once you get passed their grid servers, but if you are just looking for basic hosting, that is too much for you.

If you are looking for advanced hosting, don't go with MT's dv servers, I would suggest to go with my current host: RackSpaceCloud. Pretty good pricing (starting at $11/mo) and completely scalable.

Web Hosting & Domain Names by FatCow.com

Cloud Computing, Cloud Hosting & Online Storage by Rackspace Hosting. Mosso is now the Rackspace Cloud.

A few other decent ones that I have used in the past:
Web hosting provider - Bluehost.com - domain hosting - PHP Hosting - cheap web hosting - Frontpage Hosting E-Commerce Web Hosting Bluehost

Web Hosting by DreamHost Web Hosting: Web Sites, Domain Registration, WordPress, Ruby on Rails, all on Debian Linux!

HostMonster - Web Hosting (ok, so it is technically bluehost, but a little cheaper and different options)

Good luck!

Probably THE BEST web hosting provider I have come across, check them out! Rackspace Cloud
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30   #3 (permalink)
Bill Posters
trouble free and loverlee

Old 10-08-2010, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
hostcolor
Web hosting Master

Send a message via ICQ to hostcolor Send a message via Skype™ to hostcolor
You'd check the business history of the company, the product portfolio, do they produce anything (news, blog posts, promotions, etc). Call them and ask questions, add about specific product and/or service. Ask whether they do customization and work client-side... Hope that these help!
Old 13-09-2010, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Kesava

I always find out their uptime and test out their support to see how knowledgeable they are.

I just moved to a new host, even though they are a very new company. They have very cheap hosting, but their uptime is 100% and their support is great.
Old 03-10-2010, 23:37   #6 (permalink)
pixelmonsters
Banned

Just go with someone who is legit like Godaddy
Old 22-10-2010, 14:41   #7 (permalink)
suedegrade

I search for reviews on different websites and forums for me its enough