CharmingMan

jamblo
jamblo
Tea SnobPosts: 5,594 edited March 18 in General Discussion
Built a site with Dan last summer. Got this email from his aunt this morning.

"Hello James, my name is XXXXX and I'm XXXXX's auntie, owner of Muttleys. I don't know if u are aware but he suffered a tragic accident last August and died in September..."

Fucking tragic. Did anyone know this happened?

Ling should use his site design out of respect.

Comments

• jamblo
    jamblo
    Tea Snob Posts: 5,594
    ‪Family Announcements, LANE - Bereavement - Gloucestershire Live Announcements http://www.family-announcements.co.uk/gloucester/view/4188613/lane
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,959
    Holy fucking shit - I had no idea. I never actually met the guy and probably have no reason to be as upset as I am about that, but I liked Dan and respected his work
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,196
    He will be missed by very many. Hope he knew that at the time.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    For your health! Posts: 6,751
    That's really sad. I worked with him on a few projects and always got on well with him.
  • weldo
    weldo
    if only i was arsed ... Posts: 12,382 edited March 17
    Shit.

I only exchanged general banter with him on here ... but that's terrible news.

RIP CharmingMan
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    That's shocking news. I'd assumed he'd just moved on.

RIP Dan.
  • OD
    OD
    mODerator Posts: 8,308
    Jesus... really?

Sad news.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    The lad had some skills/talent too - and was always keen to share his knowledge. Quite a rare thing. We should post this in the main forum as well.
  • OD
    OD
    Limbo wrote: »
    We should post this in the main forum as well.

Agreed.
  • Sherbs
    Sherbs
    Oo-ee-oo Posts: 2,961
    RIP Dan.

A great addition to the forum. We spoke a few times, I always enjoyed looking at his work.

Yeah.. post it on the main forum.
  • OD
    OD
    Can we just move this thread over?
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    God.

When I made that crack about his Ling site I was reflecting on what a great body of work he was able to consistently showcase here. I've been lurking here since college days, and honestly I feel like seeing the caliber of work on here from members like him helped me push myself in school. Really sad news.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,496
    That's awful. Makes you not want to think about when someone you have an online relationship with just disappears.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,813
    You could make a DT memorial, gather all his posts and put them in a thread.
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Jesus lads, shouldn't we have censored the names in first post before making this public? Just saw it on bloody twitter!
  • Kid.
    Kid.
    watching... Posts: 5,714
    Shocking and very sad. I had a lot of respect for Dan.

RIP
  • jack
    jack
    Senior Member Posts: 2,167 edited March 19
    Fuck, really sorry to find this out.

Dan was a good lad, only 'knew' him online, but we were the same age and came up at the same time so had plenty of interactions and he was a contributor on our blog FormFiftyFive back in 2009.

We were also connected on Facebook where I got to appreciate photos of his luxuriant head of hair.

Just had a look on his Instagram and this was his last post, the sentiment seems particularly appropriate now.

RIP mate.

• willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,497
    Shit. Sad news. Dan had skills, assumed he'd just moved on from the forum. RIP Dan.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    also known as little dick. The Occupied SixPosts: 8,998
    RIP Charming Man.
  • Matt_e11
    Matt_e11
    Grammatically inconsisten Posts: 5,075
    Fucking Hell. Does anyone know what happened?
    I did wonder where he had gone.
    RIP CM
  • bennyboy
    bennyboy
    Ah yo Boogie Down B-TownPosts: 3,787
    Sad news, RIP CM.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    ~ ChesterPosts: 7,227
    Very sad news. Only knew of him on here, but seemed like a really nice fella.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    Really saddened by this. RIP CharmingMan.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    You Ecks Posts: 11,550
    Collaborated with Dan a few years ago, we had a cunning plan to make lots of money but got bogged down in legal things. Very talented designer, a true DT'er.

Wish he could have made it to some of the meats I was at. I'll drink to you tonight mate. RIP.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    社長 Posts: 15,053
    I liked that guy. He was pretty genuine. He inspired me to quit smoking (one of the times I quit). Sad news.

RIP CM.
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    Gorzilla Posts: 5,227
    Man what tragic news - I only knew Dan on here but he truly was a charming man.

Sad sad times.
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Design forum in DT2.0 should be named after him.
  • socreative
    socreative
    deal with it Posts: 8,926
    omg. RIP Charming man.

Life is fragile...
  • jack
    jack
    Senior Member Posts: 2,167
    Good idea, I like the idea of a permanent tribute of some sort with the new site.
    jamblo wrote: »

• gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    I liked Dan, he was a top fella. Had the pleasure to spend some time with him and his mates at Bestival a few years ago - hence to say I can't remember much of it! ;)
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    jamblo wrote: »

Charming Dan's Design forum.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    On a different note, maybe you could put some of these comments together, and send them back to Dan's family Jamblo. It may make them feel nice to know that he was a pretty well respected guy in our community.
  • David
    David
    There's a place to put tributes on the family announcements link Jamblo added
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    I think thats just a shitty events aggregator website, and I doubt they are ever going to see it.
  • David
    David
    I agree, but it's official and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of chucking a thread from a forum in an email to the parents 6 months after the incident and I'd hoped that the tribute section might have been a good way to steer that idea
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,616
    I'd say the best thing to do might be for one person to write an email (or a physical letter), summarising our reaction and feelings as a community, and wishing them all the best. Linking to a page is a bit odd, especially after this amount of time, and they might end up snooping around and realising what a hateful bunch of cunts we all are. Also, CM might have written a few things in the past best kept away from his grieving family.

One email/letter would be a nice gesture.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    Meef the wise. I agree.
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,497
    2nd'd.
  • David
    David
    If that's the consensus, still not sure I agree - in fact can I request you not contact my family if I die
  • Rik
    Rik
    GlasgowPosts: 12,722
    Hello Scoundrels

Been away for the longest time (my life been too busy for much internez).

Lurked in and shocked to hear Dan has died. Never knew the chap beyond this forum but he was a good fella.
  • Kid.
    Kid.
    watching... Posts: 5,714
    Also, CM might have written a few things in the past best kept away from his grieving family.

Yeah, for this reason it's probably best not mentioning his username in any case.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    I think the best course of action is merely for jamblo to pass on to his Aunt that Dans design community friends are thankful for letting us know, and that he is sorely missed.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    also known as little dick. The Occupied SixPosts: 8,998
    Couldn't agree more.
  • David
    David
    That gets my vote
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,616
    Exactly. Not to piss on anyone's chips, but in the grand scheme of things and at this point in time we're just a nice mention at best. Anything else would be weird.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Yep. And of course shouldn't mean that anyone that wants to write themselves shouldn't. It's a very personal thing (and as such pointing to a forum is v. weird for anyone who's not a member).
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    It seems I didn't write my post with the meaning in which I intended it. I didn't mean to send them a link to this thread. I meant what others have said - sending a letter to the family to express our thoughts as a community. I did mention putting together some of the comments we have made, and I think that would be a nice thing. But that doesn't even have to be done, as Meve said, summarizing our feelings and wishing them the best would be just as nice.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    I'd just gather all his useful posts (and there were many) into a single thread "Advice from a Charming Man" and let it stand in memoriam. No testimonials or weeping, those who know will know. The thread will be genuinely useful and gather google juice at it's new URL in DT3.
  • David
    David
    Nah, fuck that - what you're describing is a shrine and I think it's tacky and unnecessary
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    Ok fine.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,496
    Dan was a nice guy that we all liked. We aren't anyone to his family, my personal opinion is let's remember him for what we knew of him and not contact the family at all. If this were within the same week of his passing I may feel differently, this much after the fact I think we're taking a chance of causing as much or more pain bringing it up to them as we are likely to make them feel good.
  • David
    David
    This, articulated perfectly my thoughts, I don't see the need to contact anyone
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    I was thinking of visiting his family, pay my respects. Does anyone have their address?
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    I was thinking of visiting his family, pay my respects. Does anyone have their address?
  • Bishop
    Bishop
    Eating out. Posts: 6,898
    Sad News. His standard and quality of work is inspirational.