Flexbox with Percentage vs Column system Gridbox

Steve
Steve
Hye guys, I'm a rookie in web dev and design. I used to utilize column system of gridbox such as col-md-12. But now I'm using width: 100% instead of that for personal justification. So can you tell which of these is more better, because i just have an argument with my friends about this.

Comments

• calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    Flexbox is a God send imo for laying stuff out, but you still want a grid of some sort otherwise your site is just going to be a mess. Honestly I don't really understand what your question is though, width 100% is going to be a nightmare to read on large, high res monitors.

Do you have an example of what you're creating now?
  • Steve
    Steve
    @calder12 Thanks you for answering my question. About the percentage, I mean I will split up a round into many boxes, then i will use flex system to control those boxes. Nothing special here, i just want to make a little comparison between Grid system and flex-box system im using. Percentage here is the % of every box inside my div.
    For an example:
    <div class = "container" style="display: flex; flex-wrap: wrap;">
    <div class = "red" style="width: 33%"></div>
    <div class = "blue" style="width: 33%"></div>
    <div class = "yellow" style="width: 33%"></div>
    </div>
    So i manipulate the element easily while responsive. I just change the width, then it will automatically make a new line if the % == 100%, That's all i wanna say
  • Steve
    Steve
    Oups, sorry idk why it keeps generating....
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,094
    Don't worry about it :)
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    Yeah there is nothing wrong with that at all, in fact I'm developing a new app and dumped using a set grid entirely. Like I said you still want to be aware of some sort of grid so things don't get ugly and messy. In fact it gives you a lot more flexibility than a standard grid does.

If you want a great free course to get a really good handle on Flexbox check out https://flexbox.io/

PS. Just hit the Post Comment button once and give it a few seconds, sometimes posting lags and you end up with multiple posts if you mash the button.
  • Steve
    Steve
    Thanks, guys !