Web site/app and digital design frameworks

Nick
Nick
Cream of DTPosts: 18,194 in Web Design
What's hot at the moment? Anything I should be looking for (aside from Bootstrap) that covers design frameworks – e.g. layout, assets and libraries?

Comments

• Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381
    You asking for a friend?
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    Bootstrap is still it in my opinion, there are others but none I can think of that have the whole kitchen sink approach that Bootstrap does. It does depend on the project though, a friend and I have a side project we're working on and decided to just do everything from scratch and use Flexbox and I'm finding it quite nice to work this way and the code is a lot leaner and less complex too.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381 edited March 7
    Bootstrap is 95% redundant out of the box unless you are building something like the BBC website.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,952
    Bootstrap is great for getting a quick and dirty prototype up and running and that's about it
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,194
    Yes, asking for me.

I realise that for every web project I work on, rarely do I get involved in providing a design system to work from (making it up as I go along).

Interested to see how others do it and when it's done well. I'm thinking of things like Google's material design or Uber's digital design guidelines ... but perhaps on a smaller scale.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381 edited March 7
    I think systematic web design is 100% useful — AND time saving. Providing you understand how the HTML/CSS works. For example — an understanding of mobile resolutions, and a some basic HTML knowledge will invariably help to design a more user-friendly, lightweight and well structured navigation component.

I think this is where the mobile first approach is good for designers and developers. If you're starting low-fi you're not having to deal with larger complexities at a lower level later on.

But none of this should really be governed by a framework — a framework should be malleable enough to cope with component design within a larger system of design elements.
  • Nick
    Nick
    Limbo wrote: »
    But none of this should really be governed by a framework — a framework should be malleable enough to cope with component design within a larger system of design elements.
    This is what I'm looking for. Examples of custom frameworks that are used for component design – rather than the off-the-shelf stuff most seem to work with.
  • Nick
    Nick
    Dare I say, 'digital style guide'?
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381
    Well remembered :)
  • Nick
    Nick
    Good article that. Cheers Davey, just what I was looking for.