Wix Bookings and Credit Card Information

STC-SBC
STC-SBC
Hello!

I'm really not sure if anyone here can help me, but I am REALLY hoping you can!

I have numerous issues, and perhaps all, or some, can be dealt with here, from people who have experience with these things. I will try to make this as short and sweet as possible.

I am a "web designer". I put it in quotes because I design websites for people, but I don't do coding. This sort of fell into my lap; I designed something for someone and then all of a sudden, people were asking me to design things for them. I have an eye for design, but I have never done coding, thus, I use a drag and drop platform: Wix. The thing I like about Wix is that it's an all in one: hosting, security, apps, and so on so I don't need to know how to code to make stunning sites (I don't use the templates). What I also like is that I can create the site in the "free" version as a way to give someone a sample, or to even just design it before the client has to pay for the membership.

However, that being said, there are some glaring issues with it. There are some features that are missing that I would think a popular web design site would have: the ability to create accounts for people, take personal information that isn't taking payments and so on.

Here is the my current problem:

I am designing a site for a well-established spa business. She would like to take bookings (for which I have installed the booking app) and she would like to take credit card information to book the appointment, but NOT charge to card (unless they don't show). The problem is, I can't seem to link ANYTHING to the app that would bring them to a secure area to include their credit card information. The only way I seem to be able to get the information into the booking app is to ask them to put it in the message area but then it's not secure. I was going to put a little blub that said, "before booking, please go here" which would lead to a page with a form that would collect all that information, and then would link back to the booking page. The only thing is, I can't figured out how to link the form to the booking confirmation so that my client gets ONE document, instead of two. She's old school - if she's going to have to match forms together, she will get lost. I want it to be simple - go to booking app, choosing service, enter personal information including credit card information, and confirm appointment. Does ANYONE know a way around this?

In the same token, does anyone know a website builder that is similar to Wix? Where I can create Free, as well as paid for, sites, where I can have bookings and shops, and portfolios, and mobile apps, that doesn't cost much more than Wix? As it stands, I'm already losing upwards of $300 in my pocket due to paying to Wix.

If not, do you know another alternative? Perhaps a software for my computer where I can do drag and drop, add all those features and either hook up to a host (my dad owns a hosting site) or already has a host included?

Sorry for the novel (I'm a writer first which is how I got into the design aspect). And if you made it this far, thank you!! Any advise is GREATLY appreciated. BUT PLEASE don't try to tell me how shitty Wix is, I am starting to figure that out for myself! haha

Comments

• calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    First of all that wasn't at all short lol.

SquareSpace in my opinion is a better platform than Wix but it has no free version.

Enable HTTPS on the site, get the credit card information in the message. All traffic via HTTPS is encrypted both ways. Done.
  • calder12
    calder12
    For that matter enable HTTPS on all your sites: https://calder.io/blog/https-understanding-isnt
  • STC-SBC
    STC-SBC
    calder12 wrote: »
    First of all that wasn't at all short lol.

SquareSpace in my opinion is a better platform than Wix but it has no free version.

Enable HTTPS on the site, get the credit card information in the message. All traffic via HTTPS is encrypted both ways. Done.

See this is the thing, I have no idea what any of that means lol

• STC-SBC
    STC-SBC
    calder12 wrote: »
    For that matter enable HTTPS on all your sites: https://calder.io/blog/https-understanding-isnt

Nevermind my last comment, I read your link. But, I'm not sure how this would help me? I'm worried that people, who have absolutely no knowledge on any of this would feel secure putting their credit card information in a message area like that....
  • calder12
    calder12
    That may be true, but that little green lock in the address bar will give most people the secure feeling they need. Can you not edit the booking form at all to add a Credit Card Number field?