AMP website design for better SEO

envigo
envigo
Digital Marketing Services in UKUnited Kingdom / IndiaPosts: 28 in Web Development
Hello Guys,
We just completed implementing AMP on a project offering Car Services. Till date I have not seen any site coming up in AMP results for service offerings. Mostly they are news and media results.

We submitted our AMP pages yesterday and waiting for our results. But meanwhile I am very curious if it is working for any of you?

I want to know have any of you successfully created a AMP version on any working website with a commercial service for which AMP or accelerated mobile pages are working and delivering good results?

Please help.

Comments

• envigo
    envigo
    Digital Marketing Services in UK United Kingdom / IndiaPosts: 28
    No one ?
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484 edited February 20
    I've glanced at AMP and that's about it to be honest. I spend a lot of time performance tuning sites I build. Until this becomes a big thing I'm just going to continue doing that to the best of my ability. I have enough other things to learn that influence my day to day workflow and the product I deliver to add something to the list I'm not sure is going to really catch on. Here's another thing I'm glad I didn't bother investigating much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Application_Protocol
  • envigo
    envigo
    Digital Marketing Services in UK United Kingdom / IndiaPosts: 28
    calder12 wrote: »
    I've glanced at AMP and that's about it to be honest. I spend a lot of time performance tuning sites I build. Until this becomes a big thing I'm just going to continue doing that to the best of my ability. I have enough other things to learn that influence my day to day workflow and the product I deliver to add something to the list I'm not sure is going to really catch on. Here's another thing I'm glad I didn't bother investigating much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Application_Protocol

Hmnn good answer. No wonder I did not find many people answering this thread. So experts are waiting to see the benefits of AMP and whether it stays around.. It could be like the Google authorship scandal. They raised such a chaos around it and then we we did get into the groove finally it was scrapped.

• calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    I'm not sure I'd term myself an expert, but that's my feel anyway.
  • justin789
    justin789
    What are the effects AMP pages in today's business. ? Do you know
  • envigo
    envigo
    Digital Marketing Services in UK United Kingdom / IndiaPosts: 28 edited February 24
    justin789 wrote: »
    What are the effects AMP pages in today's business. ? Do you know

Yeah, we have a big artile here about the effect of AMP on businesses. If you care to read the full article there you go.

https://article.wn.com/view/2017/02/22/Google_AMP_Project_and_its_SEO_benefits_Case_studies_and_SEO/
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    社長 Posts: 15,051
    It's something I've been interested in building, but I haven't done a site for which it's appropriate yet.

There are also the facebook fast loading news articles (can't remember what they call it exactly. I wonder which would be a better application of time, if only one can be done. Has anyone build those?
  • cybernext
    cybernext
    CyberNext Posts: 8
    Nice information here...

AMP pages are now important from internet marketing point of view. I found the best way to use them using GWT and GA.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I just built a site for a podcast my friend and I have started to do, and I decided to add AMP pages for it after reading this thread. I've never done them before, so I'm interested to see how it goes.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    For your health! Posts: 6,751
    What was it like to work with?
  • Martin_Scurry
    Martin_Scurry
    PacificaPosts: 8
    new trend come up in the google search which is amp pages in mobile search. i found almost in every search amp pages in top ten rank.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    top_buzz wrote: »
    What was it like to work with?

A bit of a pain in the ass, but not too bad. You cannot provide any external CSS or JS, so tying that in with Drupal (that the site was built on) was a bit of a hassle.

I also decided to tie this site in with Facebook Instant Articles. Have you ever clicked on an article in facebook, and it brings you directly to the page instantly, without taking time to load? Those are the instant articles. I'm not sure if those help SEO or not though. But they should promote reader engagement.

I also set up structured data for article pages. This should help Google better index the content on the pages.

So far, there isn't enough content, nor has the site been around long enough, to tell how effective all of these measures are, but I'm interested in tracking it over time to see.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    For your health! Posts: 6,751
    It'll be interesting to see what you find out. I keep seeing AMP discussion popping up quite a bit.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,952
    It's a bit like providing print styles for a page - it's a nice idea but it feels a bit of backward step and a return to the 'mobile web' - it also looks like something that could be automated more - like reading mode in safari, and then users could opt to use it in instances when data / speed is more of an issue (like when you have a shitty 3g reception)
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,796
    AMP seems kind of restrictive. Search for "google amp pros and cons". Might have to rethink your workflow and boilerplate. It certainly works, as far as performance, but I wonder if it's significantly better than "normal" best practices + a good CDN.

In anycase, it might be good business for designer/devs to get on the bandwagon and leverage the AMP hype ("AMP certified!!!!").

But it's not for me.