How much to charge?

khl
khl
I did graphic design fulltime for a gaming company about ten years ago for a few years. They recently asked me back as a contractor, and for my hourly rate, I asked for $25. I lowballed it because I wanted the work, and can always try for more later. That's also about the hourly rate I was making with them as a fulltimer. Since I'm a contractor they do not provide any benefits, though the work has been steady.

Now I've been contracting about 6 months, and want to ask for more but not sure how much. The work isn't extremely challenging (though I'm happy to have it), it involves a lot of taking flattened text graphics/buttons, recreating them in Photoshop, then recreating them in different languages (they provide the translations). It's something someone just out of college could do, though probably not as fast as someone with years of industry experience.

So, I'm just curious what people think a good rate would be. I actually made $60 an hour doing similar type work for a major fast food chain, and I feel I lowballed too low with $25 an hour.

Comments

• StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,612
    I believe you lowballed.
  • Sherbs
    Sherbs
    Oo-ee-oo Posts: 2,961
    Tell them that the current agreement is unsustainable and you need to increase your hourly charge otherwise you're going to have to part ways and fill your time with better paying clients.
  • khl
    khl
    Thank you for the replies. I was thinking of asking for $40 an hour, does that seem like a fair amount? And which would be better, to ask over email, or the phone?
  • Sherbs
    Sherbs
    Oo-ee-oo Posts: 2,961
    Depends if $40 is sustainable.

Do you have a good relationship with them? If so, phone is OK. If not I'd use email.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381
    You need to calculate your outgoings, tax, assurance, purchases, rent, savings, pensions, estimated travel/expenses and living costs. Work out a level that will sustain you comfortably – while balancing what you think you can reasonably charge for your skills and experience. And then, and only then, can you work out your rate. Don't do it on a whim.