New Computer

Giraffe
Giraffe
toxic designerPosts: 9,841 in Help Me!
Hi. I need a new mac. Or PC. Leaning toward the latter, simply to keep upgradeability on the table. I do a fair bit of large format PS and Illustrator work, willing to drop about 2.8k on a decent machine; this is for my work (you know, design (in theory) with lots of reddit and DT on the side).

What are you guys using. I know we have a few new macs around here, but I'm loathe to spend my or my company's money on a sealed casket of inevitable failure that you can't crack open and put a new body inside if need be. Still, I welcome all comers.

Perhaps there was a more pertinent thread for this inquiry, but in that I've created perhaps three discussions on this thing since I was wished into the void by its collective malice and snark all those dark years ago, I figured this might be a good change. So dont whine.

Comments

• Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841
    I should also add: One of the big reasons I'm upgrading is that new versions of adobe require 1GB of VRAM, which the 2012 imac apparently doesn't furnish. Now my once polished vectors display like low quality jpegs.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,397
    http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop/pd?oc=daar5_f_b4e&model_id=alienware-aurora-r5-desktop#overrides=daar5_f_b4e:6~1070SNF;3~32GB

Yes it's a "gaming" machine, but most of the things gamers require, illustrators and Photoshop users will benefit from too.

The machine is a top of the line new core i7 (not last year's model like the Macs are sporting). Capable of handling up to 64GB of RAM. Comes with a 256GB SSD and a 2TB storage drive

Lots of room for expandability/upgradability and room for a few upgrades right out of the box for your budget. I changed the spec to a better video card and 32GB of RAM, put those back to base of 16GB and a decent ATI card and save $350
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841 edited January 6
    Thanks, Calder. Yeah, there is a strong degree of overlap in requirements of art/design and gaming. I only wish gaming rigs werent so hideous. Granted, that one isn't so bad as they go, but I'd rather not have a case with an illuminated almond eyed creature staring back out at my coworkers. I wish I could just house all of that shit in a normal box.

What are your thoughts on lenovo? Their stuff isn't exactly discreet or as well-machined. I have no experience with their workstations/desktops.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,728
    You should get a Mac. Macs make you more creative.
  • Bishop
    Bishop
    Eating out. Posts: 6,895
    I've heard macs make your penis much much bigger . I wouldn't know though.

You can get cases changed pretty easy mate and there are some really nice casss coming out.
    Inwin, nzxt and bit Fenix for example have one or two in the lineup that are nice .

My gear is all really old but good old stuff.
    The new i7s are mental but can blow your budget.
    Memory and CPU combos are the best money spent I feel.
    16 go of slow memory won't help your mental state while working. Same argument could be made for most PC parts but I think those two should always be top of the line .
  • Bishop
    Bishop
    Eating out. Posts: 6,895 edited January 6
    Not sure if this is too small but this type
    Of design is starting to become more common.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk4jGfhUaoudNcYLPvTpPomXuZZdCtSNBSBTXsK-GcqRpO9OxRacFwz55a

Sorry can't put up images from phone
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,728
    Bishop wrote: »
    I've heard macs make your penis much much bigger .

That's a myth.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Had a quick look at Lenovo's offerings. Their desktops seem really underpowered, their workstations are really nice but they get into hardware that I am not familiar with, like the nVidia Quadro video cards and Xeon processors. I know they're good just no idea which ones are good.

They're well built from my understanding, I have a friend that swears by their laptops.

The P710 seems in your range, but again comparing processors and video cards is tough when they're this different. Add to that these also seem to use more expensive RAM.

Honestly I'd still stick with Dell and look at their XPS line, this one is really nice, supports up to 64GB of RAM, it has the Radeon video card, and only one out of the box nVidia option that costs $700 but it is cheaper than the Alienware. The Alienware has fancy stuff like liquid cooling that you probably don't really need. I like the look of this one too personally.

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-8910-se-desktop/pd?oc=dxps8910seslv_bt_h539e&model_id=xps-8910-se-desktop
  • ParthivShinde1
    ParthivShinde1
    Buy Mac is best for graphic design portfolios and often the best gaming.
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,463
    There you have it. Consider the question answered.
  • calder12
    calder12
    The best gaming? lol