Looking for Critique

bjett
bjett
I am getting back into graphic design as a hobby after being out of the business for over 15 years. I never had any formal training only OJT training. Now, as a stay at home mom, I am looking to modernize my designs a bit, and expand my portfolio, and it would be cool to earn a little coffee money every once in a while. I thought that if I joined a few crowdsourcing sites, I can working on improving my designs and expanding my portfolio. The only problem is I keep getting banned from them because of poor quality. If someone would be willing to look at my portfolio and provide feedback I would be very grateful. Note, I am NOT advertising or selling ANYTHING. I am just using Wix for my portfolio.
http://jettdesigns.wixsite.com/portfolio

Comments

• Beartrap
    Beartrap
    Shadowplay Posts: 1,724
    The designs in here show that you have been out of the professional design world for a while, but that's okay. I'm sure with enough marketing and tenacity you can push this business Jett Designs into getting some clients in your area.

However, if you want to reach past very small locally owned clients (such as the personal trainer or a landscaper, for example) you should try to become as versed in modern design standards as much as possible. Browse Dribbble, see what's popular on there. Listen to design podcasts and rework your own personal branding.

Take some time to practice creating modern tasteful, usable graphics. Think about why you're making them and what the user's for these graphics would get out of them during that process.

Also, not to be tool-shaming, but Wix or Squarespace are not tools professional web designers use. Having a Wix domain would usually immediately come off as a red flag that you are more amatuerish than you would like to come off.

This isn't a bad start to getting back into it and I think that with a passion for this industry and surrounding yourself by professional design networks, you can create a portfolio and a business model that would be respected and gain you the type of client base you would love to work with.
  • bjett
    bjett
    Wow! Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback! I know Wix is not the place for most designers. I am however, not a web designer, and I was worried my designs (Because I know they are outdated) would look terrible up against a site specifically for hosting portfolios? Any suggestions on that?
  • Beartrap
    Beartrap
    I'm honestly not really sure by what you mean in that last sentence.

But, what I think you should do is make probably 10-15 brand new designs in the same vein of the type of work you want to get in the future (if its logo or branding design, maybe brochures or business cards - that type of thing) and present them in a way that doesn't seem outdated. Then once you have this new portfolio of recent work, look for a different web design system (other than Wix) to show them off. Or you could pay (or trade graphic design branded work with) a web designer / developer to build you a portfolio site.

• Beartrap
    Beartrap
    I'm honestly not really sure by what you mean in that last sentence.

But, what I think you should do is make probably 10-15 brand new designs in the same vein of the type of work you want to get in the future (if its logo or branding design, maybe brochures or business cards - that type of thing) and present them in a way that doesn't seem outdated. Then once you have this new portfolio of recent work, look for a different web design system (other than Wix) to show them off. Or you could pay (or trade graphic design branded work with) a web designer / developer to build you a portfolio site.

• bjett
    bjett
    Thanks again for the feedback! I will do this.