New website for travellers to and in Norway

Nti_consult
Nti_consult
norwegian-travel-informationPosts: 4 in Web Design
We welcome your feedback for our information page about travel to and in Norway.
We changed something on our design, we got a lot of bad criticism of the previous ...
Thanks so much for all the feedback we receive?
http://www.linkguide.no

Comments

• handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,821
    It should be responsive, that is adapt the layout to fit any browser width.

More importantly, this:
    USE OF THE SITE
    By clicking on the content, the user could select the category with links to websites.
    There are often several referrals within the same category.

You shouldn't have to explain how to use a simple site like this. And this info is close to useless (this is what google translate gave me). All the text on the front page is basically meta-information (info about the site instead of info about the subject).

You need to figure out what your message is first, then what kind of web page format supports that message.

And I think you'd want a good English translation (this is targeted at people outside Norway, right?)
  • Nti_consult
    Nti_consult
    norwegian-travel-information Posts: 4
    Hello, and thanks for your feedback. but I am not sure I understand what you mean?
    Do you mean we most change something in our meta?
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    Do you mean we most change something in our meta?

No, the text on the home page talks about the site itself (that's why I called it meta-information, perhaps a poor choice of words on my part). The text on the front page should be about the subject (traveling to Norway). The "about this site" info isn't very interesting and should go on a secondary page.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    The site is built with old technology (<table>s), looks like it was written 10 years ago. You should start with a modern boilerplate (or template) so it will work better on phones and tablets.

http://getskeleton.com/
  • Nti_consult
    Nti_consult
    Thanks a lot for your feedback. I know it's old tech, but it's what I can in this programming... I use asp.3.0. but we hope it works well enough so that people can find the information they need? Possibly it will be changed with a modern program later ... But it's work on my iPhone and iPad... but do you think people will find the information they want here?
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,506
    The site has a dated look, dated technology, and isn't responsive. The chances anyone is going to find the site at all are slim given the last two will hurt Google rankings.

It's all I know how to do, isn't a good enough excuse for releasing a site that is intended to make money in the state it's currently in. You have a request for a salesman, what you need is a request for a designer and one for a developer.

Step outside yourself for a moment and look at your site from the eyes of a prospective advertiser. What would compel you to pay for a spot on this site? It's not particularly attractive, it "works" on iPhone and other mobile devices, but not well since it just displays a tiny desktop site that is illegible without zooming. That in itself is a deal killer for a site that is aimed at travel, since when you're traveling you're most often going to look at a website in some mobile device.

The content pages are simple centre aligned text with no images and sparse information.

For example, here is your Bus page: http://www.linkguide.no/doks/buss.asp
    Here is just one of your competitors' Bus page: https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/getting-around/by-bus/

Now again, looking at this from a completely unbiased perspective, which site would you advertise on?

Sorry, that may be harsh, but there really isn't a lot of good going on here.

As the site is now, it isn't likely to succeed. Hire a designer and a developer at the very least.
  • Nti_consult
    Nti_consult
    Thanks a lot for your feedback... We will think about this.