Podcasts

StisterMeve
StisterMeve
Fucky-doPosts: 6,590 in General Discussion
Apologies if a thread already exists – I couldn't find it.

Are there any good design-related podcasts? Anything really: trends, tips, etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,292
    No.
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,590
    Cool, I'll stick with music.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    I have tried a few design podcasts but they are usually just sycophantic fucks pouring over sketch plugins or the best places to get wifi when you are working as a digital nomad in Bali.

The best ones tend to be broader. There are some good ones here but you have to be selective: https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-big-interview/ The Norman Foster one was great, as was Erik Speikermann and Milton Glazer. Also, Jon Ronson is on that list and anything with or by him is brilliant.

• Shiro
    Shiro
    社長 Posts: 15,039
    Not designer related at all, but I've gotten into my first Podcast in the past month. I never was interested in them before. I've been listening to the Joe Rogan Experience. I like it because he interviews a wide variety of people, and he's pretty open minded - but in a logical manner. He fact checks a lot of stuff, and doesn't have a lot of assumptions. The people he interviews can be quite interesting. He's a stand-up comedian as well, and he's pretty funny.
  • Goik
    Goik
    Owns two too many cats Posts: 920
    I only listen to comedy podcasts (Bill Burr / Greg Fitzsimmons / Joe Rogan / etc) Good to listen to while designing, but I feel a book/visual for design is better than just hearing someone ramble about it.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I don't know if I'd call Joe Rogan's podcast comedy - he's a comedian, and a funny guy, but his podcasts aren't funny, as much as they are just interesting.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841 edited November 2016
    The only time I listened to that buffoon's podcast was when he argued with Neil Degrasse Tyson about how it's impossible that we've been to the moon.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I don't see he was arguing with him. Just discussing.

• Goik
    Goik
    Owns two too many cats Posts: 920
    Sure Rogan falls under comedy since he himself is a comedian, but his shows are not always comedic. Nonetheless his guests are diverse and garner my attention all the same. I'm not a fanatic by any means, but I appreciate that he asks questions and doesn't accept everything his guests hand out as fact. Everything to be taken with a grain of salt.
  • alzer81
    alzer81
    here me now.. Posts: 3,964
    This is a decent design podcast. Its very SF based though, all very smug at times, and its all pretty clicky, but they get some good guests on it: https://spec.fm/podcasts/design-details
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,590
    I've never listened to Joe Rogan but it sounds interesting. Marc Maron's WTF is similar in that he's a comedian, but in the podcasts he's really just a good interviewer - asking the right questions and building a rapport, rather than being laugh-out-loud funny. Which is how it should be. He makes the guests the stars.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I've never listened to Joe Rogan but it sounds interesting. Marc Maron's WTF is similar in that he's a comedian, but in the podcasts he's really just a good interviewer - asking the right questions and building a rapport, rather than being laugh-out-loud funny. Which is how it should be. He makes the guests the stars.

Joe is a pretty good interviewer as well, though he does sometimes go off on his own tangents, and talks more than his guests. But he's definitely good at eliciting conversation from his guests, and he gets some pretty interesting guests, so his podcasts are generally pretty interesting.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    Just saw this and thought of this thread...

http://blog.debugme.eu/web-design-podcasts/
  • Beartrap
    Beartrap
    Shadowplay Posts: 1,724
    http://layout.fm/

Layout FM is really good