Hardcore critique

fvsegarra
fvsegarra
Hello,
We have just released our startup, OneSite, where we provide the very best free web hosting service. What feeling do you get when entering OneSite.co?
We want it to look modern, open and fresh. How would you improve the design? :)
Thank youu

Comments

• Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,206
    It's a shitfest, now fuck off.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    edited October 2016
    What is the catch? That seems to offer everything but a finger in the arsehole, for free.

Seriously though, you offer ad free sites as one of your USPs, yet right in the middle of your site there is an ad (which in my case had a better CTA than your sign up button).
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,204
    "a business has to make money to survive."

Free business advice there.
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    Hi all! We've just updated our website design :)
    About making money to survive:
    https://onesite.co/about.html
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    You Ecks Posts: 11,545
    No explanation of your servers physical location, no technical breakdown, nothing about confidentiality, privacy, redundancy...

Terrible. Seems like you have no idea what you are doing.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,226
    Haha.

• Matt_e11
    Matt_e11
    Grammatically inconsisten Posts: 5,058
    By providing a high quality free web hosting service, we can get around those marketing costs. We provide a paid plan to which our free clients can upgrade to. This strategy will of course increase our server costs, but it's worth it in the end.

I really don't understand why they would upgrade to a paid service if everything is free?
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,100
    Dusty wrote: »
    No explanation of your servers physical location

It's in the cloud, silly!
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    Our servers run CentOS and are located in the US
    At the moment, you can host one website for free in our unlimited plan.
    By upgrading, not only you will be able to host unlimited domains, but your websites will also be running on SSD. These are the two main features of this future upgrade
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,204
    ... or you just open another free account for each domain ...

Seriously, if someone is that cheapskate, you'll never get them to part with cash PLUS you'll have support requests seeping out of your ears 24/7.

"i got a free account with you and my facebook clone isn't working ... fix it"
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    We aren't providing support to free clients, we'll be providing support to paid clients.
    We'll also be deleting duplicated accounts of the same clients
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,226

Grim.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,616
    OTOH there are great free services that make money from the paid version, like github (which raises the question: is github profitable?)
  • Nick
    Nick
    Yep. Limbo nailed it. Grim practice indeed.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,303
    Just fuck off, those of us in the industry have more than enough shitty hosts that clients choose for the wrong reasons to deal with. I promise you if I had a client on a host like this I'd be urging them to move.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,895
    does anyone have any evidence to support how bad this particular business is aside from a deep seated hatred toward similar services?

they have a better forum than we have

The design that is there is ok, the main issue is the content (or lack thereof)
  • Nick
    Nick
    The outrage is judged on the lack of support given to 'free' clients. A fairly critical element to a hosting service I'd have thought you'd agree?
  • David
    David
    The outrage was already in full swing 5 posts before 'service-gate'

If it is critical you need service then you can pay for it - without knowledge of the payment structures, it's a bit mean-spirited to assume it's a 'ransom' model - from a cursory glance there actually seems to be a fairly engaged user community on there

I'm not saying it's a great product, if there's a problem it's the a woeful lack of detail in general on the site - I'm just pointing out that people are getting angry for no reason
  • calder12
    calder12
    He kind of said it was a ransom model did he not? Did you see something there I missed?
  • David
    David
    I did, I saw pointless internet outrage all based on assumptions about what free hosting is or should be

I think ransom is a bit strong for a fairly common model where you pay to get an account with service - but fucked if I'm staying to argue semantics about that

Anyway, as I pointed out, the flaming of the guys business model had started before service was bought up.
  • Nick
    Nick
    Bait and switch a better term?
  • Klang
    Klang
    It's like the old DT in here.
  • calder12
    calder12
    @David You're right about the slamming starting before he put up his business model (although the title of the thread is hardcore critique and this is DT so there's that).

My issue with the business model isn't that they're doing anything technically wrong, or that others aren't already doing, it's that I have an issue with all these hosts that do this crap. And strictly from a client handling perspective.

One of the toughest things to support is a bad host and in my opinion, one that makes a big deal about being free, then hides the details about why it's free are a bit scammy at best.

At the very least that site needs a page that explains exactly what you don't get for free and the cost of the upgraded package(s). Right now they're simply advertising that you get all this awesome stuff for nothing. Not good enough. I don't think that's semantics at all, I think it's being up-front with your clients, or prospective clients.
  • David
    David
    I agree, as I said there's a woeful lack of content, and everyone has leapt in to fill the void with their negative presumptions

It may be a scam, it may give you the server equivalent of bad aids but you don't / can't know that - I don't like the pointless negativity

And this is a design forum, not dragons den

I'm out
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    edited October 2016
    Hi there guys,
    Thanks for your comments. Let's see:
    I learned computer programming when I was 13 years old. It wasn't much later when I started working in the web hosting industry. With the information and knowledge I acquired since then, I decided to do what I always wanted to do; creating my own company. I thought that starting it in the web hosting industry was the right thing to do, due to my past experience and after deep industry analysis and coming up with the right business model -I'm 19 now by the way, my personal website is https://fran.global/ for + info or whatever.

You can find a bit about how we do it at https://onesite.co/about.html

On the other hand, we will definitely add more information to our website, as I can see that this might sound "like a scam" or something -this feeling would disappear after some time of us being in business, but for sure it's better to avoid it right from the beginning.

What's the future for OneSite?
    Well, according to the current growth -you can have an idea by checking http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/onesite.co we expect to have around 5.000 clients by January 2017, 30.000 by June 2017. We also expect a conversion rate of around a 3% in the beginning, and we have Google AdSense in our site, which so far covers server costs. As we grow and earn more money from AdSense, we will also need bigger and better servers. This cost will still be paid off by AdSense -if needed we could use some of the upgrades revenue to have free clients covered. I also plan to move to Silicon Valley at some point in time. We are a flexible company, and once we are settled into the industry, I will be looking for experienced investors who are willing to make OneSite even bigger.

I hope this helped a bit. Feel free to give me a hand making this free hosting reach as many people as possible.

Thank youu!
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,206 edited October 2016
    I just looked at it on me iPad and noticed it was shite and nothing works. It seems to have been fixed since then.

I will give you a hand with your reach around
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    Thanks a lot :)
    Feel free to reach me out. All my social media accounts and so on are available in my personal site!
  • Klang
    Klang
    I always like a happy ending
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    That's what she said ;)
  • calder12
    calder12
    haha, okay that last exchange swayed me a bit. I still am not a fan of the business model, but if you make it up front what the differences are, you're ahead of 90% of the other hosts doing similar things.
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    edited November 2016
    Hi!
    Today it's two months since we released OneSite!
    We've already got 2.000 clients and an alexa rank of 130.000.
    We expect to grow even faster now!
  • pmek
    pmek
    Banned Posts: 9,297
    Good stats. How many of them have upgraded to pro?
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    We haven't released the upgrade yet. We're waiting until we grow a bit.
    However, we expect a 5% conversion rate
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    Hi there guys!
    We released OneSite two months ago, and it's been crazy since then -we love it! Okay, so we have some great news for those of you who don't have a domain name: We've partnered with freenom to be able to provide .CF / .GA / .GQ / .ML / .TK free domain names, directly from OneSite. So if you already have a domain name, that's great, you can host it for free in our awesome web hosting. But if you don't have a domain name yet, you can register one for free with your free hosting, all at OneSite! We're getting closer to provide a complete bundle that will allow people to create a whole high quality website totally for free!
  • fvsegarra
    fvsegarra
    Hello!
    Not so long ago we released the first beta version of OneSite.
    After 3 months, our servers are now stable and now, our website design is in its stable version too! We still need to improve a few things before releasing the final version though.

Could you maybe give a look at our new website and let us know what you like/dislike etc?

URL: https://onesite.co/

Thank youuu