Web design is still dead

handcraftedweb
handcraftedweb
thought leaderLeft coastPosts: 6,748 edited July 2016 in Web Design
But now faster, with AI.

https://firedrop.ai/
Firedrop is the website builder that does everything for you. There are no templates to choose from. No countless hours spent trying to get your content to fit somebody else's design, or wrestling with complex admin interfaces. Just upload your content directly onto the page, hit a button and let Firedrop's powerful artificial intelligence algorithms generate a unique design based on that content. Modify it until you're happy, then launch it with just one click.

Comments

• PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    They still not launched that?
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,748 edited August 2016
    Is it old non-news? Sorry.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,421
    Sounds like this https://thegrid.io/ which didn't do awesome so far. Interesting idea, but doubt ai is quite there yet.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,748
    The "AI" aspect is the bullshit flag.

AI is useful for big-data processing, and it will drive the next big thing natural language UIs, but it's not nearly useful for graphical UI stuff, not for another 10 or 20 years (and then GUIs will be relatively insignificant).
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841 edited August 2016
    I think the "design" aspect is very much alive. The low-effort cookie cutter splash pages in demand by unadventurous clients are very much in danger, at least as theyre supplied by thinking people. And yes, I thought this was already a thing.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited August 2016
    These websites are trying to kill something that, in the end, will always require a human touch. The Grid, FireDrop, SquareSpace, etc. are only as good as the end user.
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    Is it old non-news? Sorry.
    Ah! Calders link is the one I was thinking of, which, incidentally, still seems to be 'invite only'.

• calder12
    calder12
    I want to say it actually launched, then went back to dev, but I may be imagining that.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,748
    thegrid.io charged money for early access or something. They're in a heap of shit.

It's bizarre that these people think that something under the umbrella of "AI" is going to solve web design problems.
  • calder12
    calder12
    It was $99 if I remember right. I know someone that bought in out of curiosity. I'll have to ask him about it.
  • Zhero
    Zhero
    Registered User Posts: 28
    Simple/standard websites are maybe dead because of this. But companies that want something creative/personal still need a reall human being as designer.

Good luck on making creativity with A.I.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Zhero wrote: »
    Simple/standard websites are maybe dead because of this. But companies that want something creative/personal still need a reall human being as designer.

Good luck on making creativity with A.I.
    That's actually one of the best 14th posts I've read in quite some time...

• DominickLo
    DominickLo
    Evolve Thought Media Group Toronto, ONPosts: 9 edited August 2016
    No, Web Design is still popular. Like you can design your website in Photoshop and convert PSD into WordPress. Then you can make your website live with in an hours.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited August 2016
    Holy shit @DominickLo ...are you fucking serious? Do you think the Eskimos will buy this fresh snow I just ordered a gross of?
  • DominickLo
    DominickLo
    Evolve Thought Media Group Toronto, ONPosts: 9 edited August 2016
    roto wrote: »
    Holy shit @DominickLo ...are you fucking serious? Do you think the Eskimos will buy this fresh snow I just ordered a gross of?

Yes, I am serious.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,308
    That's good then.

We can all rest easy.
  • Matt_e11
    Matt_e11
    Grammatically inconsisten Posts: 5,070 edited August 2016
    DominickLo wrote: »
    roto wrote: »

Yes, I am serious.

200_s.gif