lining up photos for interactive product builder

Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls
Eat shit!NewcastlePosts: 2,497 in Help Me!
If you are building a product builder for example a car or bike where the user can choose the wheels, then the trim etc.. and each of the photos of the parts are updated on a preview image, how would you go about photographing the parts for it to be an ongoing thing? i.e. the client wants to be able to add new parts as and when they become available

It doesn't seem to be a problem setting up say a bicycle once and photographing it with different parts on then isolating each item. But what about in 6 months time when a new set of wheel become available and need to be photographed at exactly the same size and angle - it is not possible to own a studio and leave it set up forever. And marking the floor etc... just isn't accurate at all.

Or is there an easy way to sort shit like this??

Comments

• handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,733
    Sounds like a tough problem. You'd want to replicate the lighting too.

I'd ask in a photography forum. My guess is that there is software to nudge the images to line up with a master image.
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,463
    How about a 3D rig and render?
  • Derek Smalls
    Derek Smalls
    Eat shit! NewcastlePosts: 2,497
    how does that work Will? I am guessing many many hundreds of thousands of quid?
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,463
    Would be a few quid to model the bike and accessories, but not silly money I'd say :)

I'm guessing you're building something a bit like this: controllerchaos.com/xbox-one-build-your-own.html

In it's simplest form I'd say you model the bike frame and it's customisable parts, then render out a still of each customisable part and the frame, and use them as your photos for the product builder. Initial setup might take a bit of time, but adding new parts should be fairly straight forward; plus you know the lighting, angles, lens spec, zoom, composition etc is consistent - wouldn't have to worry about the studio at all.
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    Gorzilla Posts: 5,217
    best get learning cinema 4d ;)
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,398
    I have to wonder if product models might not be available from the manufacturer, don't most products these days go through a 3D phase before being built? If your client is reselling products he might be able to request them.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,733
    willtoo wrote: »
    How about a 3D rig and render?

Yeah, now that you mention it, this is the only thing that makes sense. Photorealistic vector graphics, not actual photos.

http://www.republicbike.com/build_aristotle.asp

If most of the options are just color changes then it's not that labor intensive.