what the f

busso
busso
https://jsfiddle.net/busso/5L70us9b/

in the js fiddle here it is doing exactly as i expect but when i load it from a file and click open with... nothing displays. can anyone spot the problem?

Comments

• calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,506
    I have a feeling you're struggling with relative URL's given your last two threads. Since there is no content at all in the HTML that tells me if you see nothing it's because it's not loading the css.

Open the file in Google Chrome.
    Right click anywhere and choose "Inspect"
    In the inspector click "Console"

That will tell you about any errors on the page, I bet you see a 404 on your css file.
  • busso
    busso
    i now know what the problem is, i just dont know how to fix it. when i checked my css file, under type, instead of saying cascading style sheet it says visual studio code. i clicked the option to rename it main.css but the type didnt change. any ideas?
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,821
    busso wrote: »
    i now know what the problem is, i just dont know how to fix it.

Then describe the problem as best you can.

One of your problems in getting help is that you don't know how to extract, encapsulate, and transfer the problem from the context of your local system into something like jsFiddle. But that is not easy and I don't recommend it.

For most effective assistance put your practice site online somewhere so that you and we are looking at the same code from the same server.

Until you do that you waste too much time. Don't mean to sound harsh, but trust me, that's the most effective way to learn and collaborate.
  • busso
    busso
    when i checked my css file, under type, instead of saying cascading style sheet it says visual studio code. i clicked the option to rename it main.css but the type didnt change. any ideas?
  • calder12
    calder12
    Checked your file how?

You're running windows I assume, type isn't being based on the file extension (which it sounds like you have hidden) it sounds like it's a file type association issue.

How are you viewing these files? Just opening a file in a browser? If so look into using something like XAMPP, trying to do web development on Windows can be a bit trying but it's absolutely doable. But just opening a file in a browser isn't going to work worth a damn for any operating system.

Personally I use a virtual machine running Ubuntu for all my web development but that's a pretty extreme thing to get working right. If you're interested the basis of my setup is here: https://box.scotch.io/
  • busso
    busso
    yeah windows. and yup just opening in a browser. not sure i have time to learn xampp. what should i do regarding file type association issue?
  • calder12
    calder12
    XAMMP really isn't something you "learn" it's just a tool and it takes all of 15 minutes to figure out. https://blog.udemy.com/xampp-tutorial/

Once it's installed you'll have a directory on C drive called xammp, inside that will be a directory called htdocs.

If you create a folder for your project inside htdocs, let's say test. You can then put all your web files inside that directory and go to http://localhost/test to see them working in a real web server.

The way you're doing it now is fraught with issues, not the least of which is you're testing in a completely different environment than where the site is going to live when it's live. Add to that the issues you've seen to date with file associations and directory structure.

You've given no indication as to what you're doing, or why you don't have time to learn the basic principles, but trust me, take the time to learn this. It will save you massive headaches moving forward. Why do you have enough time to troubleshoot, and ask for resolutions on forums, but not put yourself in a decent working environment to begin with?