New website - thoughts?

shanep
shanep
WebKnitPosts: 1,158 in Showcase
I've a new website, decided to merge all of my personal and freelance stuff into one single website.

http://webknit.co.uk/

Comments

  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    It's good, in a themey way - but it doesn't all hang together that well, like you've picked the best looking bits from a number of themes and junked them together - is there an idea behind it, or is it just what you think currently looks nice

    also - the js circles thing on the homepage is a pointless distraction, lose it

    Better than your last site
  • shanep
    shanep
    WebKnit Posts: 1,158
    David wrote: »
    It's good, in a themey way - but it doesn't all hang together that well, like you've picked the best looking bits from a number of themes and junked them together - is there an idea behind it, or is it just what you think currently looks nice

    also - the js circles thing on the homepage is a pointless distraction, lose it

    Better than your last site

    Hey David,

    Unsure what you mean by idea behind it? It's just the site I wireframed, designed and coded. Pretty typical design style of mine which is just simple but neatly laid out in a way that all the info is accessible easily (I hope).

    With regards to the circles I think it's a nice touch and showcases a bit of JS. It's more of a personal site now and I think it's acceptable.

    Thanks! :-)
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    also known as little dick. The Occupied SixPosts: 8,998
    It's OK. I agree with Big Dave, the circles are distracting. Especially when you reduce the size of the window, they go nuts.

    I don't like the layout of the About page. The intro paragraph it too wide. The picture of you dominates the page. The font on the timeline is too small to read.

    I don't like the backgrounds on the Work page for each project. I can see what you are going for but it doesn't work.
  • shanep
    shanep
    WebKnit Posts: 1,158
    LittleMick wrote: »
    It's OK. I agree with Big Dave, the circles are distracting. Especially when you reduce the size of the window, they go nuts.

    I don't like the layout of the About page. The intro paragraph it too wide. The picture of you dominates the page. The font on the timeline is too small to read.

    I don't like the backgrounds on the Work page for each project. I can see what you are going for but it doesn't work.

    Thanks for pointing that out. I need to sort the resize function out! :-(

    The work page is the only part that isn't new. It was taken from my old site. Plan is to make proper case studies going forwards.

    Thanks for all these comments and suggestions I am going to have a play as agree with them.

    Shane
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    shanep wrote: »

    Hey David,

    Unsure what you mean by idea behind it? It's just the site I wireframed, designed and coded. Pretty typical design style of mine which is just simple but neatly laid out in a way that all the info is accessible easily (I hope).

    With regards to the circles I think it's a nice touch and showcases a bit of JS. It's more of a personal site now and I think it's acceptable.

    Thanks! :-)

    I'm talking about design - yes it's neatly laid out but what is your 'style' about? what are you trying to say about yourself - design is about communicating ideas, you don't really know what they are and it shows

    There's ideas and execution, this site is all execution and i'm not sure you appreciate the difference

    The circles are distracting, it's not a nice touch - it's endemic of what's wrong with your entire approach
  • shanep
    shanep
    WebKnit Posts: 1,158 edited July 2016
    David wrote: »
    shanep wrote: »

    Hey David,

    Unsure what you mean by idea behind it? It's just the site I wireframed, designed and coded. Pretty typical design style of mine which is just simple but neatly laid out in a way that all the info is accessible easily (I hope).

    With regards to the circles I think it's a nice touch and showcases a bit of JS. It's more of a personal site now and I think it's acceptable.

    Thanks! :-)

    I'm talking about design - yes it's neatly laid out but what is your 'style' about? what are you trying to say about yourself - design is about communicating ideas, you don't really know what they are and it shows

    There's ideas and execution, this site is all execution and i'm not sure you appreciate the difference

    The circles are distracting, it's not a nice touch - it's endemic of what's wrong with your entire approach

    I will be the first to admit I'm not a designer by trade I only develop at work. Thanks for your comments, all noted and I will keep trying to improve it/my design/approach!
  • shanep
    shanep
    WebKnit Posts: 1,158
    David wrote: »
    shanep wrote: »

    Hey David,

    Unsure what you mean by idea behind it? It's just the site I wireframed, designed and coded. Pretty typical design style of mine which is just simple but neatly laid out in a way that all the info is accessible easily (I hope).

    With regards to the circles I think it's a nice touch and showcases a bit of JS. It's more of a personal site now and I think it's acceptable.

    Thanks! :-)

    I'm talking about design - yes it's neatly laid out but what is your 'style' about? what are you trying to say about yourself - design is about communicating ideas, you don't really know what they are and it shows

    There's ideas and execution, this site is all execution and i'm not sure you appreciate the difference

    The circles are distracting, it's not a nice touch - it's endemic of what's wrong with your entire approach

    To help me get started, if you would be willing to help.....

    Could you tell me the difference between ideas and execution? Perhaps some examples of this int he wild?

    Could you also show me some sites that have clear ideas and communicate them well?
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    idea = an idea, a description of what you want to say / communicate i.e i want to look sophisticated or I want to look approachable, traditional, avant garde, modern, functional, happy, muted. I want to communicate that I build complicated products, am focused on detail, have plenty of experience, think beards are important

    execution = the production, how the idea is realised

    Without using my own examples (which i'm not going to here) I could only guess at the ideas behind other sites depending on their execution, if i get a chance I'll try and dig something up later
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited July 2016
    I like it, @shanep - you could put together the most perfect website known to man and ask for feedback on it here...and it would get torn to shreds. The folks you're after impressing will be impressed. Keep up the good work - I really like beardrevered . com.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    I can see where David is coming from. As you browse there is a dischord, it is really difficult to pin down but the site feels like the result of development over design. There is no common thread to tie the site together, I wish I could describe it better but it is just an abstract feeling rather than something you have done wrong.

    For example, on the homepage where the green meets grey there is a darker grey line which makes it look like an old fashioned table border. As you move through to the about page there are now shadows on the thin white lines of the header and drop shadows under the timeline icons. On the work page, the mac screens are floating in mid air. Some links have http://. The list goes on...

    They are all minor details, but in conjunction, they create an overall impression. It is all in the detail.

    The purpose of your site is not clear, do you want people to look at your work, read blog articles or browse your gallery? If it is all three then create a journey that will take them through that.

    The best example of a personal portfolio I have is http://hellojaeho.com, it is interesting, well designed and shows off the work really well.

    Have a look here: http://niceportfol.io/. There are lots of great sites which demonstrate what I have described.

    It is by no means a bad site, but some of your work deserves better. I remember being very impressed by rideforthechild.co.uk when you first posted it here.

  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    This shit ain't easy to do and if you think I'm being hard on shane (roto) then it's only because I know he's capable of better even if he claims to be a dev he's clearly got an eye for design

    As hard as it is to work up an idea it's exponentially harder when it's your own site, i have yet to create a portfolio site for myself that I'm happy with and have a lot of trouble defining what it is I want to say
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,799
    Another vote to get rid of the flying circles.

    I agree with what others have said here but would characterize my advice as "get out the scalpel". Go minimal and justify every feature (color, icon, animation, etc.) that you add.

    This typography doesn't work for me:
    FcKW4Pi.png

  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,491
    I quite like it (short of the distracting circles) so from a non-developer standpoint it's attractive at least, very legible (not sure about the earlier comment about the width of the about paragraph, seems okay to me), and it's nicely performant.

    Your work is getting better Shane!
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    The purpose of your site is not clear, do you want people to look at your work, read blog articles or browse your gallery? If it is all three then create a journey that will take them through that.
    That I do agree with...followed by a specific call to action where they can sign up to receive a proposal/estimate/etc. Convert the lookers into leads.

  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    Lose the circles. Pointless distracting chintz.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    and yet they remain, methinks shane has a different opinion about the circcles
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    I like it Shane, just get rid of those dodgy circles and sort that dodgy layout in the about section.

    If you want to add depth/details, I'm sure you can find a more subtle way to do this than some random circles and something that actually lends itself to your content/design.
    David wrote: »
    i have yet to create a portfolio site for myself that I'm happy with

    Ha, and you said his looks like a template. ;)
    The best example of a personal portfolio I have is http://hellojaeho.com, it is interesting, well designed and shows off the work really well.

    Really? Leakysandwich, "more like shit sandwich" http://hellojaeho.com is not the portfolio utopia to align yourself with.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    Actually get some consistency in your typography and layout through out the site. There aren't many layouts, should be ease peasy to get them inline.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    Ha, and you said his looks like a template. ;)

    It's easy to critique. I spend much more time looking at good work than I could ever spend creating it. Some folks have talent oozing out of every orifice.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    Cobblers shoes analogy comes to mind. Much more time spent crafting other peoples shit than anything of our own.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    It's not easy to critique, especially online - that's why I don't bother anymore, but felt I had to add something here as I found some of the comments a little ironic.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    Because my site is like a theme?
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    Really? Leakysandwich, "more like shit sandwich" http://hellojaeho.com is not the portfolio utopia to align yourself with.

    I have seen thousands of better agency portfolios but that site is an outstanding example of the work of an individual - There are things wrong with it but it does a very good job of guiding the user through projects with interest and consistency (despite being text heavy), while being memorable and providing a constant opportunity for conversion. It's responsiveness is also deserving of credit. I didn't say it was the prettiest, I just consider it to be very good at the things a portfolio needs to do.

    Or just get rid of the circles, then the site should be fine...
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396 edited July 2016
    Really? Leakysandwich, "more like shit sandwich" http://hellojaeho.com is not the portfolio utopia to align yourself with.

    I have seen thousands of better agency portfolios but that site is an outstanding example of the work of an individual - There are things wrong with it but it does a very good job of guiding the user through projects with interest and consistency (despite being text heavy), while being memorable and providing a constant opportunity for conversion. It's responsiveness is also deserving of credit. I didn't say it was the prettiest, I just consider it to be very good at the things a portfolio needs to do.

    Or just get rid of the circles, then the site should be fine...

    I have seen "thousands" of better portfolios that are off the shelf templates such as Semplice. Actually just look at the Semplice showcase and I can guarantee that in the 10 most recent uploaded, over 50% do their jobs far better than http://hellojaeho.com.

    Conversions? You sound like you work in marketing, it's a portfolio, people wanna see well presented work and leave.

    The site you have shown just doesn't have any finesse. The project visuals are hidden in a slideshow, the typography lacks cohesion, the layouts are clunky, and that image on the home page, really?

    It's not outstanding, in fact it's not great, so no I wouldn't have used that as an example as outstanding design.

    Yes get rid of them there circles.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    David wrote: »
    Because my site is like a theme?

    Yes it does look like a theme. Nothing wrong with that, I use a theme for my folio. Just found your post a little ironic.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    What's ironic? I gave some constructive crit and you go and shit on my site - which I hadn't placed up for review, fuck knows I'm aware my sites not perfect - but nor do i think it needs to be to give crit on someone else's

    Mine isn't a theme btw and there's another thread in the Mod section for you to give me crit on it, which I would welcome and I wouldn't rip into yours if you did
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Maybe have the circles display and fade out after bouncing around a bit?
  • Pugsley
    Pugsley
    ScotlandPosts: 10,890
    Oh you work for Stein. I worked for Fifth Ring, they almost merged years back. So wish they had, Stein turned to be far more progressive. Might have kept me in a job.

    Lose those circles, pointless and distracting.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    David wrote: »
    What's ironic? I gave some constructive crit and you go and shit on my site - which I hadn't placed up for review, fuck knows I'm aware my sites not perfect - but nor do i think it needs to be to give crit on someone else's

    Mine isn't a theme btw and there's another thread in the Mod section for you to give me crit on it, which I would welcome and I wouldn't rip into yours if you did

    Touchy! I wasn't shitting on your site, I wasn't criticising your site - just pointing out a fact that it looks like a template and felt that this is relevant to your criticism of Shane's site.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956 edited July 2016
    Is that just design crit, or does Mark kermode need to make the best blockbuster ever to do his job?

    just good forum manners init, point out which part of my advice you disagree with, happy to chat about that - just leave my portfolio out of it unless I've used it as an example of a standard to work too - I haven't
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited July 2016
    Horrible Layout - found by typing "seth" into google. Tons of daily traffic:

    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sethgodin.typepad.com

    Content is king.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396 edited July 2016
    Oh.My.Days.

  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited July 2016
    lol [MR. GREEN HERE]
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    I think the site is fine. I mean, thats about it, and about as much as anyone can ask. The aesthetic is super trendy, but thats always been your angle. That's ok. I can live with the circles, but they are pretty terrible.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956
    Oh.My.Days.

    quite the wind up artist aren't we
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    David wrote: »
    Oh.My.Days.

    quite the wind up artist aren't we

    Not intentionally.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    roto wrote: »
    Horrible Layout - found by typing "seth" into google. Tons of daily traffic:

    http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/sethgodin.typepad.com

    Content is king.

    True, but I've always felt things like that are successful in spite of themselves. No one would complain if it had trent walton-level of attention to layout/type.

  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,491 edited July 2016
    Giraffe wrote: »
    True, but I've always felt things like that are successful in spite of themselves. No one would complain if it had trent walton-level of attention to layout/type.

    Sites like that are so nice, attention to legibility instead of gimmicks.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    calder12 wrote: »
    Giraffe wrote: »
    True, but I've always felt things like that are successful in spite of themselves. No one would complain if it had trent walton-level of attention to layout/type.

    Sites like that are so nice, attention to legibility instead of gimmicks.

    More a blog listing than a site, no?
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    Spend longer than five seconds on it?
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    I'm a habitual seth reader each day. He's the only twatter I have notifications on for...FWIW

    Very smart of Trent Walton to mimic medium's font size and face almost exactly. If it ain't broke...
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,880
    I guess I look at these mostly on desktop, where they look vastly different. He's been using some combination of Leitura/Meta serif since he started I think. Back in those days Medium was still running Freight Sans and had the side-bar nav that was all the fucking rage.

    Yes, I've been paying close attention to this.
  • demt
    demt
    Senior Member Posts: 1,612
    luvely
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Welcome back to earth, @demt!
Sign In or Register to comment.
© Copyright 2003 - 2016 - DT by Kooc Media