Looking For Designers To Test Our Page Builder

bpines1
bpines1
edited June 2016 in Web Design
We recently launched a free page builder for WordPress. I know the design community has an oversion to page builders, but I wanted to get feedback from real designers that use WordPress on it.

Elementor page builder launched only 3 weeks ago and has already been featured on webdesignerdepot, speckyboy, ewebdesign, Muzli and product hunt.

Could you give it a spin and get me some feedback? Again, only meant for web designers.

Comments

• Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,224
    That yellow type/purple BG combo is hard to get past honestly.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,891
    'Reach high-end designs, without coding'

get a total mess of divs without coding more like - I know it's for designers, but honestly I wouldn't recommend this to anyone
  • bpines1
    bpines1
    Limbo, I was hoping to get more feedback on the plugin itself.
    David, we try to optimize it as much as possible.
    For example, we don't carelessly add Javascript to the page like other builders do.

It's a fact - millions of users love page builders. We've built the fastest page builder that is most optimized for code.

Again, I was looking for more of a designer perspective.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,303
    I'm not a designer, but I might give it a look. I find that end users do like this sort of thing and most of them are utter shit.

That being said your code being created does appear to need some work (I assume your site is made using it, I would hope so at least)

Your front page has 9 accessibility errors and well over 100 warnings. Something to consider if you really want to be the premier in this market.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,891
    bpines1 wrote: »
    Again, I was looking for more of a designer perspective.

I am a designer!!! - doesn't mean I can safely ignore the quality of the code so long as it looks ok
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,798 edited June 2016
    Agreed with David. Good design is good function, which is inextricably linked to well-written code. If you just want to focus on aesthetics, fine.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,615
    Is there any web GUI builder that does produce decent code?
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,798
    The only one I've ever read positive things about is Macaw, but I havent given it enough time to see if it holds true.
  • bpines1
    bpines1
    Listen, it's true that our page builder, like other page builders, uses divs to allow for frontend design. That doesn't mean the code is bad. We spent a year developing it to be the fastest page builder, with the fastest drag and drop and the fastest loading time and SEO friendly code.

Could some designer / developer here actually test out our plugin, preferably in comparison with other page builders, and don't just accuse because "you know how page builders are?"

It's an open source free page builder and we ask only for honest opinions. I've had developers from "advanced wordpress" as well as the developer of the amazing Generate Press be really amazed by the quality of the code.
  • Tanel
    Tanel
    whitespace Posts: 96
    well your site design is fucked up in safari so doesn't add much trust to the page builder.

Problem now is that there are too many builders and similar tools but for me it seems that none of them really work if you want to use these in real projects. Specially these browser support issues etc. So pure old hand written code is still best solution for designers. html/css is so easy to learn least for basic.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    社長 Posts: 15,038
    bpines1 wrote: »
    Listen, it's true that our page builder, like other page builders, uses divs to allow for frontend design. That doesn't mean the code is bad.

It does if you are trying to write semantic code - which most of us here consider to be a major factor in whether or not code is good.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,615
    You people are too harsh on the OP. I don't think it's been established that the code is "bad". It might look weird, but generated code usually does.

Seemingly extraneous divs is hardly a big deal these days (not sure it was ever a big deal).
  • MrDaveFoy
    MrDaveFoy
    If it's any help @bpines1, while I come from a hand-coding dev background (of 15 years), I've been recommending Elementor recently to several of my graphic designer friends who want to make websites in a drag-n-drop way. They really like it. It suits the way their brains work. And their clients like the results too.

(Before anyone asks, I'm not affiliated with Elementor.)