Require some advice/critique!

Irfan
Irfan
Web design & developmentCenter EquatorPosts: 42 in Web Design
Hi, I just finished up with this today. I'd like your advice on it. Such as design flaws, how I can improve it, etc.
Clicky
Thanks!

Comments

• calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,421
    Not a fan of the growing buttons on load, but that's a personal thing, it's not bad, just gimmicky.

I'd personally resize that banner to the browser window in javascript, it looks like it should be full page but it's not.

You literally have no styles between 737px and 768px wide I have no clue how you even managed that.

A few of the fonts (body font in the subscribe and links in the footer) are too small in my opinion. That font seems quite small. I'd consider going to a base of 20px if you're going to stick with that font. That's another small thing, use pixels for your base and rems or ems for your units. The rems or ems is debatable, but I prefer them, but I wouldn't use pts for your sizes, browsers don't always convert them the same, they're a print unit.

Avoid fully justified text, unless you're in full control of the content it's a huge headache to deal with, and even if you are it's still a huge headache. You shouldn't have to screw with your wording to fit a design, and way too often fully justified text forces you to do that.

Overall it's actually pretty nice.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,076 edited June 2016
    What is it? A remedy for anal bleeding? A dating service for shag spot burners? Otherwise it's a dismal website which works like all the others. "Here I am! Scroll and see my subheading fonts!"
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,931
    off the shelf template - and not a great one at that, why are the buttons animating?

What is the idea behind the design?
  • Irfan
    Irfan
    Web design & development Center EquatorPosts: 42
    calder12 wrote:
    Not a fan of the growing buttons on load, but that's a personal thing, it's not bad, just gimmicky.
    That's not supposed to happen. It wasn't occuring on Firefox, but It did when I checked with Chrome just now. TIL not to be lazy and use the 'all' argument all the time.
    transition: all 2s ease

calder12 wrote:
    I'd personally resize that banner to the browser window in javascript, it looks like it should be full page but it's not.
    Done, learned something cool on the way.
    calder12 wrote:
    That's another small thing, use pixels for your base and rems or ems for your units. The rems or ems is debatable, but I prefer them, but I wouldn't use pts for your sizes, browsers don't always convert them the same, they're a print unit.
    Avoid fully justified text, unless you're in full control of the content it's a huge headache to deal with, and even if you are it's still a huge headache. You shouldn't have to screw with your wording to fit a design, and way too often fully justified text forces you to do that.
    Noted! Thank you very much for the detailed advice.
    I've updated the design
    steveb wrote:
    What is it? A remedy for anal bleeding? A dating service for shag spot burners? Otherwise it's a dismal website which works like all the others. "Here I am! Scroll and see my subheading fonts!"
    David wrote: »
    What is the idea behind the design?
    hahaha, definetely not any of those. The idea behind the design is that it's supposed to be a product page which has the given download, features, about, the team making it, contact, etc. I know it's missing out a lot, but I simply can't pin point what and where. My design aesthetics are still non-existent, pls advise.
  • David
    David
    Irfan wrote: »
    The idea behind the design is that it's supposed to be a product page which has the given download, features, about, the team making it, contact, etc. I know it's missing out a lot, but I simply can't pin point what and where. My design aesthetics are still non-existent, pls advise.

That's just a description of the page functionality - what values do you want the design to communicate, what's the idea driving the choices with regards to color / typography and composition
  • Irfan
    Irfan
    David wrote:
    That's just a description of the page functionality - what values do you want the design to communicate, what's the idea driving the choices with regards to color / typography and composition
    Definetly not at the level to have a proper answer for this. The things I want the design to communicate about is the object/product it's all about. My reason for the composition is simple as the pallette looked nice and blended in. The vague header image represents something big with the secondary turquoise being a "flat" color which blends perfectly (IMO) having a similar shade with the sea water in the header image.
  • David
    David
    Definetly not at the level to have a proper answer for this. [/quote]

This is basic entry level for a designer - you need to be able to rationalise the idea behind a design.

If you base the idea around the product thats fine, but you must be able to know what you are trying to communicate about the product - all you are doing is trying to make something that you think looks 'nice' - this is not design

My advise is to go away and think of what you are trying to say about the product - is it sophisticated, authorative, friendly, traditional, dynamic, brash etc. Who are the audience, how are you ensuring that the design fits with their expectations, are you looking to subvert the expectations? what does the competition look like

Only when you've done some thinking and have an idea should you start actually designing
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,421
    Great advice, thanks for that David.
  • Irfan
    Irfan
    Web design & development Center EquatorPosts: 42 edited June 2016
    Thanks the lot for the advise, David. I shall go ahead and look more into that since I'm here to develop my aesthetics.

edit: do you recommend any specific book regarding this?
  • Irfan
    Irfan
    Thank you.
  • rpjdewit
    rpjdewit
    Maybe I can give you some advice on the layout. I do understand you are designing/building but maybe you can use it. Your content is aligned tot the sides of the browser screen. If you create more margins at the right and left side or place the content in the container the website will be more user centered. On my screen I have to watch all the way to the left and move all the way to the right.

Also the text in the About part is so big. It's like I have zoomed, but I didn't. I do not think the website is for almost blind people right?

I think the green lines that divide your rows are not the perfect way to create separate rows. Maybe you can give the row of About a green background . In that case you can remove the line.

I hope it will help you.