Site builder for renting suites

Shiro
Shiro
社長Posts: 15,053 in General Discussion
My best friend that I grew up with has asked me to build him a site. He has a suite in his house that he wants to rent out to business travelers. Of course, this is something that I don't want to do, first off it's not the type of site I build, and second it's just asking for troubles.

I'd like to just put him on to a site builder, something he can piece together that will allow him to let people book his site online.

Does anyone know anything that will do this? If not, I'm going to try to teach him how to use Wordpress, but first I have to figure out how to use it, and then I have to show him how to develop locally - on Windows.

All in all this is a headache.

Comments

• handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,799
    Make him write the content, the rationale, the business plan. Once he has a good message, tell him to put it on craigslist or vrbo or air bnb.

Sounds like a message problem not a publishing problem. If you want to make it training problem, well, it's family.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited June 2016
    Agree with hcw - such a thought leading comment. Why not just AirBnB this?
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    Agree. AirBnB

</ headache>
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    &#31038;&#38263; Posts: 15,053
    AirBNB was my first suggestion. He said 'we want to do something different'.

Puts me in an awkward position.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,388
    Different != results.

That's the problem, they still need to get people on site. Marketing a site like that costs $$$$
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,491
    ^^ this. There's a reason people write on Medium, sell things on Craig's list and Ebay or rent their homes on AirBnB. Because that's where other people look to find those things. Especially in a case like this where it's a single home, he'd spend more marketing than he'd ever hope to make to get a fraction of the exposure.
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,956 edited June 2016
    I'd need to know what the 'difference' is - teaching him to use wordpress and develop locally sounds like you overestimate how easy it can be to get anything usable up and running with wordpress that doesn't look awful - I'm assuming he works in development in some capacity?

Depending on the offering, if the difference makes it niche then he may not need the sort of exposure AirBnB gets

Is he paying for this?

(web design is dead)
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I put forward AirBNB to him again, with many of the same things you guys have said. I also added that AirBNB provides insurance, and that each stay requires a cleaning fee.

No, he's not paying, which is why I'm not building.

That all said, I know there are site builders out there online, though I'm not surprised none of us know them. I was just hoping.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I put forward AirBNB to him again, with many of the same things you guys have said. I also added that AirBNB provides insurance, and that each stay requires a cleaning fee.

No, he's not paying, which is why I'm not building.

That all said, I know there are site builders out there online, though I'm not surprised none of us know them. I was just hoping.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited June 2016
    I'd throw squarespace into the mix here, then. The cost is minimal - he can pay the low monthly & 1 rental more than recoups the initial investment. I've used it in a pinch for more than a few side projects and now it has become a nice income stream. They also have a dev platform that gives me "access to the source code behind (the) Squarespace website", so anything is doable.

(Web design, indeed, is dead)
  • yaya
    yaya
    Thanks
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Oh, come on @yaya Touré...
  • Michael35
    Michael35
    Hi all! Try the website builder MotoCMS (http://www.templatemonster.com/moto-cms-3-templates.php). I use this versatile tool to create different sites.