Want / Have

roto
roto
|-/Posts: 12,958 edited June 2016 in General Discussion
Can't seem to dig up the old want thread, so thought we could start anew with want/have.

Just received my new phone today (Nexus 6P):

VnImyTE.jpg

g0ROdPg.jpg

D5Bzhbhh.jpg

Quite pleased so far.

Want the live case...

https://store.google.com/product/photos_live_case

Comments

• PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    Nice, I got a 5x recently.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Very cool @PointandStare. This is my first with a reliable fingerprint reader - I have disabled them in the past. Love how the reader also unlocks key apps on the phone, too (LastPass, Amex, etc.)
  • Pugsley
    Pugsley
    ScotlandPosts: 10,890 edited June 2016
    My iPhone does that. *runs away*

tumblr_m2b6e0q0uY1qeknrjo3_250.gif
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    Yeah Pugsley, but it's an iphone.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    I like the packaging, phone looks lovely too. Is that the fingerprint sensor on the back?
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited June 2016
    Yes. Found this photo since I can't capture it:

PvRPy5Hh.jpg

It takes 5 points of touch from any finger registered, but right and left index finger is all you need. It's in a perfect spot IMO. Every time I pick up the phone, my finger is right there.

[edit]Packaging:[/edit]

hlvLVMK.jpg

6YrRAbT.jpg

OjliJbT.jpg

N4esvd4.jpg

YQY6Eog.jpg

Never heard of HUAWEI until this point either, but there have been zero hiccups so far. It's super-responsive to all touches & I have 27 apps open.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    For your health! Posts: 6,736
    I've had my 6P for a while now. Totally awesome phone and zero issues!
  • roto
    roto
    @top_buzz did you get a live case?
  • roto
    roto
    Anyone have suggestions for a slim wallet? Don't need to carry much - liking the look of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WXPCWY2/
  • roto
    roto
    I'd need a long chain & a Softail Fat Boy parked in the driveway to pull that off.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    I got this case.
    unnamed_1.png
  • otouri
    otouri
    I use a Nokia Lumia 630 (yes, I'm a real life user of a Windows phone) and my SIM card hasn't been active for a year and a half. Life is honestly more peaceful without the stress of getting woken up in the middle of sleep or accidentally missing calls.
  • roto
    roto
    top_buzz wrote: »
    I got this case.
    unnamed_1.png
    Is that carbon fiber?

• top_buzz
    top_buzz
    Some sort of fabric material.
  • roto
    roto
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited July 2016
    oops - weird double post issue from time-to-time...
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,073 edited July 2016
    Do you still attach some kind of status to phones in the USA? You seem very preoccupied with them for the past month. I'll tell you a little secret - no-one cares.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    roto wrote: »

That is excellent - I only have a 256GB SSD in my laptop, this will give me a lot of wiggle room for £25!
  • roto
    roto
    Glad you like it. It came yesterday evening - going to give it a try shortly. If it works as advertised, I can store all the wife's data from her old laptop while configuring her new machine before deciding how to use it next. Maybe it will be enough space to store all 120GB of Steve's snarky comments through the years...
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    I just got one similar - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LLEODCK/

A few people in the comments say they get really hot when kept in your laptop full time. Maybe the Samsung ones are better but worth checking out.
  • roto
    roto
    @top_buzz I read that as well, but I don't see keeping it plugged in all the time. That's just asking for trouble. So far, 73GB transferred and counting. The write speed isn't that great...but for under $30 on a NewEgg deal, I'm not complaining.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    How hot does it feel while transferring that amount?
  • roto
    roto
    It's pretty shit hot right now at 100GB - almost done, she has 104. It's not anything out of the ordinary as my RAID setup heats up quite a bit during backups...and that's only the case with the drives inside. I imagine if I touched them directly they'd be as hot.
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,463
    Had a couple of USB drives fry over the past couple of by leaving them plugged in. Def wouldn't trust them as my main data storage.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841
    Thats a fucking sexy phone. I only just got my first shitty smartphone recently, and as nice as that is, is there anything you do on it that makes it 100% worthwhile? Or is it simply baby getting his candy. Nothing wrong with that at all, just genuinely curious. (Also an android user).
  • roto
    roto
    @Giraffe - I fancy you to be quite smart and in need of a phone that keeps up with your heightened intelligence. I don't mean that facetiously whatsoever.

I have over 100 apps installed on the 6P and there hasn't even been a hiccup. Right now, I have 17 apps open, 6 gmail drafts, 17 tabs in Chrome and 22 in Firefox for Android. Other devices I've had struggle to keep up with demand like this, but I also just finished letting my kid play "smash hit" which I'm sure requires a ton of RAM to run smoothly. The screen didn't even flutter during his 5 games. My laptop crawls if I open PotatoChop and 5 Chrome with 5 tabs. To me, meeting demand like this is worth every penny.

And hell yes, I was also a baby getting his candy at first...but just how much this phone can keep up with has truly been a pleasant surprise.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841 edited July 2016
    Not sure if its for me just yet. Snapchatting my girlfriends, playing pokemon go, and using UBER are about it for me. Also reading warhammer 40k lore whilst taking my morning shit.

Damn it is nice though.
  • roto
    roto
    I got it for $350 - have a contact at a T-mobile down here in FL who says they keep falling off the truck. :D If you ever decide differently, let me know and I'll see if he has more.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841
    Holy shit that is a great deal.
  • roto
    roto
    I don't often pay full price for phones because of this guy I met via https://offerupnow.com/ - he texts every time he has deals.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    Just bought myself one of these...

I was looking for a cheap watch a few weeks ago but once I had seen this, nothing else compared. Their chronograph is even more beautiful, but more expensive.

ju206_im.jpg
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,398
    I read cheap, then sort of ignored the rest... I hate you, but I love this.
    http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Junghans-Meister-Kalendar-Moon-Anthracite-Rose-Gold-PVD-20p2769.htm
  • roto
    roto
    @LeakySandwich - that's a beaut. I'm a Breitling fan. I have 2 and this is my next #want:

Y7eIq9v.jpg
    https://www.breitling.com/en/news/details/avenger-ii-seawolf-blacksteel-4286
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    roto wrote: »
    @LeakySandwich - that's a beaut. I'm a Breitling fan. I have 2 and this is my next #want:

Yep, it arrived yesterday and it is gorgeous - it wears a little small but the metal strap I am waiting on should rectify that.

Breitling are very nice. I had a navitimer which I sold to fund a Panerai a few years ago, I wish I had kept it really. I like the fabric strap on that Seawolf, they look much better than on a bracelet I think.