Most Creative Functionality

FluxTeck
FluxTeck
I do codeMonument, COPosts: 14 in General Discussion
What the most interesting functionality you've seen on a website/web app before? I'd love to hear it and if you're interested in seeing the website I've made just let me know. It's essentially a large slider that can be dragged. Thanks!

Comments

• Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,380
    Let's see your large draggable slider...
  • bennyboy
    bennyboy
    Ah yo Boogie Down B-TownPosts: 3,787
    Where can I drag it? Outside?
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    I do code Monument, COPosts: 14
    fluxteck.com is the website
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    No shit?
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Yup, pretty straightforward
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,380
    Probably best you don't call yourself an entrepreneur yet. Pretentious as fuck.

You're young so will spare you the grilling but you have to learn a trade before you can sell it. Start reading.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Alright. I appreciate the feedback and I'll try and tone down the pretentious. Guess I'm not technically an entrepreneur until I've hired my first employee...

• FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    I'm working on a revamp of the website ill have it up later tonight. Here is what I changed the second block of text to: "Flux Teck is a web development company located in Colorado Springs and started by Jonathan Emig... I'm 19 years old and studying engineering at CSU. I chose to get into web development because I enjoy the blend between the analytical and the artistic. I am extremely motivated to give you the website of your dreams. If you have any questions I would love to talk." Keep in mind I'm also trying to sell myself so a little pretentiousness is kinda part of the package.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484 edited June 2016
    I'm going to be a little more blunt, I agree with Limbo you're obviously young so you gain some leeway there, but you're also in a forum full of professionals. Now don't get me wrong, it's not that you're really a threat to any of our livliehoods, but also keep in mind that everyone with a computer and a ripped copy of DreamWeaver sold themselves as web designer/developers for a long time (and still do). What that does over time, for smaller clients at least, is makes them gun shy of the rest of us, because the people they hired had no fucking clue what they were doing.

So, as to your site. Honestly it's rather amateurish. By that I mean you do things because you figured out how and not because you should.

1. What is the point of the welcome thing? It serves zero purpose other than to annoy people.
    2. What is the point of the drag thing? It's not immediately obvious that it's draggable and even when you do realize it, it's not good UX and it doesn't work particularly well.
    3. Learn more about our process is illegible without a magnifying glass on mobile sizes. Worse all the text in those are h1 tags, so your heading hierarchy is all over the place. Worse yet is all three of them are inside divs with the same ID. ID's need to be unique.
    4. Click to view our projects - If you have to tell people how to use your site you need to rethink it.
    5. 11 accessibility errors, the site hierarchy would be utterly unusable with a screen reader.
    6. 35% on Google Page Speed.... ouch.

If you want to know if you're laying out a site right. Turn off the CSS, if the site still makes sense you did it right.

As I said, Limbo was much nicer, but when he said learn a trade before selling it is you aren't close to ready to sell yourself as a web developer/designer yet. Read. Seriously, find total beginner tutorials, stay away from the flashy stuff at least until you gain a handle on when and where to use it. Understand the basic HTML elements and when and how to use those before you start adding stuff like draggable interfaces.

Things like the multiple h1's and multiple identical ID's show that you don't have the basics down yet, and if you're selling this to clients you're selling them a sub par product. Your Inheritance Salvage page has 35 accessibility errors, no h1 or h2 tags at all, blocking js at the top of the page and 3 separate unminified css files.

I'm not saying these things to be mean or to tell you that you shouldn't keep going. I'm saying them because you're not ready to sell your work, you need to invest your time in learning your craft before you attempt to sell it.

http://codeacademy.com
    http://teamtreehouse.com
    http://codeschool.com
    http://egghead.io (this one is more advanced, not for right now).

Good luck.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Sorry. In 2 months I have to start paying about $600 in rent and I can't work at Chiptole AND play soccer for CSU and study engineering all at the same time. I realize you may be well intentioned but I just can't handle everything without this. And I believe that $20 an hour is well worth my expertise. You've given me a more realistic approach but I cannot stop now. It's too late. Sorry. Also, everything you just told me I already knew and just missed. I'll make sure that when I sell a product I won't shame the industry or anything.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    You Ecks Posts: 11,550 edited June 2016
    If you think you are going to be able to replace your day job and generate quick cash through a career in web development, you are in for a rough ride.

Stick at a day job that you know is going to pay rent. Otherwise your stress levels are going to go through the roof when you can't pull in enough paying clients for sub-par websites, or if you expect them to pay you quickly enough to cover a monthly rent bill.

Focus all your energy on studying engineering and working a no-brainer job. Don't fuck up the engineering.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    I mean I definitely don't think the next 6 months or so will be quick cash. But, I feel like it's a better investment of my time especially because I want to be an entrepreneur in the future and not really an engineer. I'm studying engineering so that I can have the expertise to start a technology business. Now can we talk about some creative websites now? Please.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Alright, I've fixed just about everything you mentioned to a degree. Tear me a new one.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Although, I haven't fixed the Inheritance Salvage project. I don't really want to work on it right now.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    It's better, you still need to fix your heading hierarchy and the duplicate id's. https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http://fluxteck.com/

I still think you're doing a few things for the flash effect, like having to click to see the email address, but it's much better.

Good on you for taking a harsh review and trying to get better instead of taking your ball and going home! You might just make it yet ;)
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Thanks! I forgot you mentioned duplicate ID's lol I'll fix those in a jiffy. And hierarchy. I see what you mean for flash effect. But, my mom thought it was cool hahah. I'll think about changing it.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Some flash is fine, I just always ask myself "why am I doing this? does it make the experience better? If the answer is just because it's cool then I ask "does it make the experience worse? If the answer is no and the site isn't inundated with it then it's fine.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Good rule to go by. I'm getting a bit of render blocking by my stylsheets. Google recommended that I inline all my css but since I have about 500 lines in my main stylsheets I really don't want to. What would you recommend?
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,796
    Google's recommendations are usually, but not always, sensible. Inlining 500 lines of CSS will improve load time very, very, very, slightly. This is for a single page site - when you have multiple pages using the same CSS, inlining the CSS (on each page) become detrimental to load time.

I always ignore that recommendation to inline CSS.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484 edited June 2016
    ^^ agreed, also fuck Google saying to asynchronously load fonts. I despise font flash and I don't care if it makes my site load milliseconds slower.

Handcrafted is completely right, take what you read and decide if it makes sense, there are numerous ways to increase site loading time that make more sense than things that degrade the experience or make them exponentially harder to write and maintain.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    Alright, thanks :)
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    calder12 wrote: »
    I despise font flash
    Is that when standard web fonts load while custom fonts load in their place? If so, +1 for hating that too...
  • calder12
    calder12
    Yup, that's exactly what it is.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited June 2016
    Wow. Not very Googly of them to suggest loading fonts that way. Never knew it was given that name, but it sucks.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Technically they don't directly say it, but they bitch about google fonts blocking when loading.
  • FluxTeck
    FluxTeck
    So first off I would like to say that I was right and you were wrong. I currently have plenty of work and have been working for the bast six weeks. Now that that's out of the way I would love some feedback on another slider website. Its at 'squatchydesigns.com' I think I have done a much better job with the UI, but I feel like this time around the slider functionality has taken away a bit from the intuitiveness of the website. I want to keep the sliders but if you guys have any suggestions for how I can make it slightly more intuitive I would appreciate it.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,796
    FluxTeck wrote: »
    squatchydesigns.com'

Your current prototype is basically a mystery meat "exploration".

That weird kind of navigation where you slide over a square to get to a new section in which you can scroll down to get more info - it doesn't work.

Just lay it out flat at first, make it easy to understand.