Rebrand...

marknorm
marknorm
Senior MemberPosts: 233 in Showcase
hi all

in the process of a rebrand...to my new identity 'Norm & Co'....typically impossible task designing for yourself!...anyway, would love some feedback...i know it will be brutally honest....it needs refining, but...

- the 'squiggle' is a subtle nod to my initials 'MN' to when i started out as a one man band.
- typeface; tried to keep very 'honest, approachable' - key values

look forward to you thoughts...

thanks

norm

normandco.jpg

Comments

• marknorm
    marknorm
    Senior Member Posts: 233
    What we saying Roto?
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited May 2016
    Cheers

• coxy
    coxy
    Pixel Pusher Oslo, NorwayPosts: 59
    marknorm wrote: »
    What we saying Roto?

I think he's saying he wasted his youth watching TV.
    marknorm wrote: »
    normandco.jpg

As for this thing, my first impressions are good. I like the colours you've used and I think the squiggle is endearing. That said, I wouldn't have made the connection between the squiggle and your name if you'd not explained it in advance.

The text "norm & co." is a bit off. My eyes are drawn straight to the '& co' section. I'm not sure if that's because of the choice of colours, whether the 'norm' part isn't as attention-grabbing as it should be, or because the ampersand is weird.

Overall, it's alright. I'd be interested to see how you'd use it on other media; like a website, or a business card, or an invoice sheet.
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    Thanks coxy... All good points.

Agree on the emphasis of '&co'; I'll take a look at that - it may be a case of switching the colours or making the ampersand a bit more subtle.

And the squiggle...yea, I didn't really want it be clear it was an MN, as I think that would lead to more confusion than people just seeing a 'nice squiggle'....as you say; alone it's still endearing and approachable.

Thanks

Norm
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    Yea, cheers ROTO....you'd be surprised how few references to Cheers Norm I get...more the 90's twix ad
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    Squiggle with ... at the end, to denote 'and co' - no?
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    ^ nice idea
  • Brentrbates
    Brentrbates
    this is awesome! Love the colours :)
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    Thanks brentbates...still needs refining but getting there I guess - I'm my most demanding client!
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Tea Snob Posts: 5,594 edited May 2016
    That ampersand is bloody horrendous. Consider a + if you're tied to the font maybe?
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,959
    The squiggle looks more like a spring than a naturalistic signature

I don't think it's necessarily important that it's immediately identifiable as your initials but I think it needs more work to make it make it look like the naturalistic squiggle that implies a signature - the shadows may be working against you in that repsect

I agree with the general consensus about the ampersand
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958 edited May 2016
    Norm + Co ??

Don't do that. Try a different ampersand.
  • pmek
    pmek
    Banned Posts: 9,297
    I quite like the squiggle, but the second loop seems a *little* awkward. Not as smooth as the first.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    I like the squiggle but I don't like the slightly jaggy edges. I suspect there is no way around it and it is a symptom of yellow on blue, but that would bother me eternally if it were my logo.

Halvorsen has a horrible ampersand and very few redeeming features through the other characters. The vertical spacing between the name and tag also looks a little off to me.

The above points are being really picky, overall it is alright!
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    so...done a bit of work on this....

- i think adding the '..'s to the mark makes it too much of a 'thing'...a bit over complicated
    - tried an alternative ampersand
    - tried alternative caps/lcase

i think the squiggle still needs refining but I think it's getting there.

also, i think jagged edges are just the jpeg, would obviously be vector.

normandco2.png

thanks!
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,496
    Of those I prefer the second, I don't hate that ampersand as much as everyone else does apparently and it's nicer at a lighter weight. The colour change is better too.

The squiggle has an issue with almost flattened points on the bottom two, more pronounced on the second one.

I do like the overall effect though, including your colour choices.

(just no to the bottom right)
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    thanks calder...yea i think the ampersand works lighter......and yea, agree on the squiggle - its going to take some time to get right in illustrator!

thanks
  • marknorm
    marknorm
    some refining...

normandco3.png
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Tea Snob Posts: 5,594
    I think capital N in Norm, small c in co. Prefer the bottom two.

Not keen on the mark but horses for courses and all that.
  • AntonCS
    AntonCS
    Hi marknorm - really like the rebrand has a sense of quirkiness that's attractive - I'm sure in your design process you have played around with the colour, but have you tried inverting the navy blue and yellow components so that it follows colour theory of blues against yellows?