New Freelance site for web design and development services

jimcallender
jimcallender
Freelance web designer and developer - Expertise in Magento and Wordpress PlatformsLondon and BrightonPosts: 19 in Showcase
Hi guys,

I've been a freelance for over 10 years now, working on and off site for clients around the UK and beyond.

This is the 4th redesign, which showcases what I do, portfolio and contact details.

I hope it gets the message across to prospective clients.

What do you think? Is the copy the correct level or too techy?

Let me know your thoughts :smile:

Freelance Web Designer Developer UK - by Jim Callender

Comments

• Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,252
    It looks like the sort of template website we see from various Indian and Russian based ringdings.

Copy is wanky as so many sites are - "Projects start with pixel perfection and web standards best practice. Designing and developing carefully hand-crafted web code, using HTML5 and CSS3 - the buidling blocks of the web. Resulting in lean, future-proofed, search engine optimised code."

As opposed to dodgy pixels seemingly not hand crafted out of the finest Norwegian Oak? You're a web developer, not a fucking artisan carpenter.

The copy switches from the first to third person constantly. There is a complete disconnect between styling on the logo and various other stock icons used throughout the site. The portfolio section needs more explanation unless you acted as a complete one man agency on jobs that would normally require a team (especially for some of those clients).

Overall though it looks like a website for a small web hosting company.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,888 edited April 2016
    Take a deep breath, jim.

The hero image feels weak and expected. Dispense with the generic stock photos that do nothing to describe you or your services. It seems like senseless decoration unintegrated with any branding or coherent message.

The services-at-a-glance feels like an entirely different website from the top, and in fact is made completely redundant by a "services" tab that actually has less information on it. Uh... what? The iconography you've chosen (I'm going to assume it's stock; don't take it personally) doesn't relate at all to any other imagery across the site (i.e. your logo, the stock photos). Juggling disparate elements with no healthy results.

Typography is treated inconsistently across the board. Feels like a random mish-mash of uppercase typesetting and wildly tracked out paragraphs. Nothing congeals into any pleasant and consistent-feeling "jimcallender" brand.

I think you should hire a designer to design a proper logo for you, or just typeset your name in Roboto. Museo is hard to look upon and it's not used with any particular finesse or love. Feels random and at odds with virtually everything else.

All in all I think it's a weak website for the caliber of web dev/designer your copy is alluding to.
  • jimcallender
    jimcallender
    Freelance web designer and developer - Expertise in Magento and Wordpress Platforms London and BrightonPosts: 19
    Thanks Klang - helpful feedback.
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,252
    You're welcome, Jim.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,888
    Sorry if we're only meant to comment on the copy, but I agree with everything Klang said.
  • jimcallender
    jimcallender
    Freelance web designer and developer - Expertise in Magento and Wordpress Platforms London and BrightonPosts: 19
    thank you Giraffe. Some good points to improve on.

Always in perpetual beta hey? ;)
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,504
    As a further note, the tabs under the slider/hero need some separation from that hero. When I first saw it I had a rather small browser window, clicked the tabs thinking they were attached to a slider. It took me a second to realize they were part of another component. There's actually more separation between the tabs and what they control than the tabs and the hero (Services page).