New website from me & jamblo

My Poor Brain
My Poor Brain
Creator of lovely things.Posts: 212 in Showcase
Hey hey.

Here be my new website (sorta new) designed by myself and built by fellow DT member jamblo.

My Poor Brain

Let me know what y'all think. Won't be going officially live till Monday, when I'll be launching with a guest logo concept; each week, the logo in the masthead will be reinterpreted by a different artist. The likes of Mr. Bingo, Pete Fowler, Jean Jullien, Olly Gibbs and many more have contributed.

Still some time for some tweaking (unless jamblo kicks my ass), so feedback welcome!

mpb_original.jpg

mpb_mrbingo.jpg

Comments

• jamblo
    jamblo
    Tea Snob Posts: 5,566
    Wooo!

Pleasure working with you, sir.
  • top_buzz
    top_buzz
    For your health! Posts: 6,702
    Looks great and tons of amazing work!
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,381
    Top work Tim. Was chatting to a guy called Neil from Us Two the other week. There's a fact you didn't need.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,035
    Superb, a real pleasure to see. I found some Lorem ipsum in the screenshot of the Ikea website page. Is it spose to be there?
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,206
    Yeah, that's really nice and really well built, too.

I know animation can be done to death, but it would be nice to see something 'on click'
  • Sherbs
    Sherbs
    Oo-ee-oo Posts: 2,948
    Top work Tim. Was chatting to a guy called Neil from Us Two the other week. There's a fact you didn't need.

One of my besties works there as an Android dev.
  • LeakySandwich
    LeakySandwich
    That is a lovely site, some excellent work on show.

Loading a page feels seamless with the fade but leaving a page has a jerky quality that could be addressed.

I really like the scrappy feel to the scrapbook page too.
  • My Poor Brain
    My Poor Brain
    Creator of lovely things. Posts: 212
    @jamblo - Right back at you sir!

@top_buzz - Thanks and thanks!

@gotnousername - Cheers mate. Ah Neil from Games team. Top guy.

@steveb - Thank you sir and good spot, that fix is on my to do list.

@klang - I'm glad you like! On click is interesting, I never bother because stuff happens on click. Will have a think.

@Sherbs - Who would that be?

@LeakySandwich - Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the site and the work! Jerky quality? Could you elaborate and how would you resolve it? Yeah the little details are suggestive of a scrapbook without going too pastiche, such as the cut of corners, like when you insert photos into a page that has slits for the corners to tuck into.

Thanks all!! :)
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    He means having the page contents fadeout before you leave to /another-page/

We could fake it with a fade out of body content on click of any internal link, but that would slow down the journey a bit, as you'd have to wait for the animation to complete before the new page load took affect. Alternatively we could go full ajax, but that'd mean a shed load more work!
  • freelancr
    freelancr
    Señor Member Posts: 7,015
    I don't mean to be a knob, but it would be cool if the content was centred on mobile. I'm on a Nexus 4, so slightly wider than 320px, but everything was stacked on the left.

It also took awhile to load, not sure if that is my phone being a twat though.
  • Sherbs
    Sherbs
    Oo-ee-oo Posts: 2,948
    Daryl. Got a big beard.
  • seen.to
    seen.to
    unusual suspect ™ DelawherePosts: 6,371
    Looking good, very nice work from both of you.

Looks great on a bunch of screen/browser sizes and my iPhone 6S.

I even love the adaptive transitions that nobody other than other designers and developers will ever see.

Liking the ClusterFuck as a concept, wouldn't mind something like that in my car... would want to be able to customize the colors otherwise I'd be constantly speeding just to make it orange. You could also do with some permanent features, like you'd always want some kind of fuel level indicator, not just when you've parked. Maybe something more in-depth when parked like, time to next service, tire pressures, internal and external temperature. Visual notifications for SMS/email would be a safety concern, mine does it on the nav screen but it is always accompanied with a verbal prompt offering to read the text for me. My car also lets me upload a photo to use as the off state on the nav screen so maybe some kind of background screen, though that would have the risk of someone adding something that totally clashes with the information rendering it unreadable so maybe not.

Had a quick look on Nexus 6 (phone) and Nexus 7 (tablet) on BrowserStack to try and see what Freelancr is seeing but it looked fine. Nexus 4 is 3.5 years old.

Hmmm, need something negative to throw in... Okay I can't not read 'mpb' as Mac Pook Bro in my head. And the Hitler pear.

pear_01.jpg
  • Bishop
    Bishop
    Eating out. Posts: 6,894
    haha Hitler pear. Can't un see.

Looks good guys, animations on screen size change are a nice touch even if most won't get to see it.
  • PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,204
    It's rubbish.
    No 'hero' slider, no 3 columns outlining your services, no contact form/ twitter feed in the footer.

You'll never get anywhere with that website, young man.
  • My Poor Brain
    My Poor Brain
    @seen.to - Ha, Hitler Pear! Glad the client didn't see that. Interesting topic the Cluster Fuck, but that's a whole other story. Email the ustwo me tim at ustwo dot com if you want to discuss that. Glad you like it all!

@Bishop - Cheers, much obliged!

@PointandStare - Must try harder.

@steveb - Fixed the IKEA lorem ipsum - cheers!
  • My Poor Brain
    My Poor Brain
    The guest artist logo takeover feature is now live.

Each week, a different artist reinterprates the logo for the mast head.

This week it be Mr Bingo.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,224
    All looks Dandy MPB. nice work.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,303
    ^^ Good stuff, congrats Tim!
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,551
    Just a small detail, but shouldn't there be some way of going to the guest logo designer's site? It says 'Guess logo by Mr Bingo', but when you click it it reverts to the homepage. This makes sense, but maybe the label could be clickable?
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Agreed.
  • My Poor Brain
    My Poor Brain
    @Limbo - Thanks man, Jamblo did a great job refining everything.

@StisterMeve, @Calder 12, @PointandStare - Yeah it's a great article, got my shed lots of hits / new followers anyway.

@Calder12 - Why thank you sir.

@StisterMeve, @Limbo - Good point. I'll ask Jamblo.
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Damn you Limbo/Meve!
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    It was a good point tho. FFF does the custom header/logo things well - take a look at that...
  • My Poor Brain
    My Poor Brain
    Classic Jamblo has only gone and bloody done it (can Mr. Bingo be underlined (text decoration) please sir). :)
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Done!
  • willtoo
    willtoo
    .O_o. Posts: 2,451
    Yep, nice one fellas.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,381
    Nice. I bought this Mr Bingo a short while ago.

17_mr-bholographic-foil-012.jpg