sick of seeing the same designs

Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls
Eat shit!NewcastlePosts: 2,508 in Web Design
Am I the only one that seems to think that all websites these days look the same? I did a few searches for some nice websites and came across loads of blogs listing 30-100 best sites of 2015 and they all look the same!!

This thing with grids of flat blocks pastel shades and/or stacked stripes like scrolling down a deck chair has gotten out of hand. The design looked ok as a portfolio site (probably where the trend started) but now you see the same design for a furniture shop or a gardener!

With all these 'build your own site with one simple tool' websites cropping up it seems designers are making it easier to have themselves replaced since it doesn't take very much to build a CMS that can spit out these templates which have seemingly no design or hierarchy at all. Type some text or upload some pictures...drag your squares into desired order...2015 web designer!

What's going on like?????

Comments

• Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,380
    Twas ever thus. Mediocrity infests everythnig.
  • socreative
    socreative
    deal with it Posts: 8,926
    This is what you get when you grow older.
  • Derek Smalls
    Derek Smalls
    Eat shit! NewcastlePosts: 2,508
    does one person do a nice site and then every designer in the world just copies it until we can't stand the site of them anymore or until someone does something new?
  • David
    David
    Keeping Tom Happy Posts: 12,952
    yes, so do something new

also, where do all the young trendy designers go for inspiration now?
  • Derek Smalls
    Derek Smalls
    I think they just stare at the windows 8 metro screen for a few hours then start drawing
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,796
    If there is one the internet is great at it's propagating trends.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,094
    socreative wrote:
    This is what you get when you grow older.

Tell me about it.

How I long for the excitement of reading Stephen King's "Carrie", the shock of seeing Ridley Scott's "Alien", the wonder of travelling in Norway, the breakthrough at appreciating Beethoven.

Now it's just all repeats.

Signed

SteveB
    age 62

I'm such a wanky old cunt these days - everyone tells me how I don't look my age so I don't even behave like the decrepit old man I'm supposed to be. I spent the last weekend in the company of 14 co-workers on a trip to Tallinn and for the most part not one of them took their eyes off their smartphones. They might just as well have stayed home.

I don't think the state of similar websites is the core of the problem. The problem is that no-one has even the slightest desire to try anything new or strange. When you're stuck with a format the customer expects and wants, what else is there to do but give it? I think webdesign has already passed into the land of corporate mediocrity where anything stylish or delicious or sensuous is rejected.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    also known as little dick. The Occupied SixPosts: 8,998
    Designers are to blame, not build your own website software. They only follow trends. So tell us what you are doing to change the situation?
  • Derek Smalls
    Derek Smalls
    Well at the moment I am 100% developer as I wanted a break from design. But this shit is making me want to get back into design rather than moaning at the designers for passing me these shit psd files
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,874
    Quite honestly this is the situation with most things. You can only have so much variety or "innovation" before one standard metric is derived and iterated upon until it feels like that's all you see. Think about how vastly different cars and houses used to look. Or even phones, for that matter. Sure, aberrations exist, but for the unremarkable clients who demand nothing then the standard effort suffices. This isn't necessarily bad, as it creates demand for the unique. But even the unique is just a rarer form of "been done before."
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    But the web is different from cars, phones, and houses in that it's much less expensive to break molds.
  • David
    David
    Web design is pretty conservative at the moment - the popularity of 'agile' type design processes mean that something truly different is quite difficult to get through all the reams of user testing and user experience 'best practice' usually dictates you follow a well worn path
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    d*d wrote:
    Web design is pretty conservative at the moment - the popularity of 'agile' type design processes mean that something truly different is quite difficult to get through all the reams of user testing and user experience 'best practice' usually dictates you follow a well worn path

Agree 100%. And to some extent I do blame the technology - it's more difficult than it should be so people gravitate to the affordable solutions. But I'm still surprised there isn't more experimentation, or why I have a hard time finding it. We need more cachemonet and Ling's cars. I thought there were no gatekeepers on this medium, but there are, somehow.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    Says web design is cheaper and so doesn't account for lack of perceived ingenuity, goes on to blame the cost of the technology for lack of innovation. Okay.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    Giraffe wrote:
    Says web design is cheaper and so doesn't account for lack of perceived ingenuity, goes on to blame the cost of the technology for lack of innovation. Okay.

Yeah, fair enough.

But I don't see the technology as a gatekeeper, more as a filter (I realize the contradiction in that too). Certainly a unfavorable filter, from my point of view. I understand technological filters better than most people do, but it is what it is.

Traditional art has gatekeepers: sponsors (AKA benefactors, rich people with a passion and/or an agenda), and curators (people that are paid by sponsors). The internet blew that up (or so I was led to believe). I like finding outsider art, but I can't seem to find outsider web design without getting depressed.

Why?
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    You're veering into the incomprehensible.
  • David
    David
    veering? he's completely off the road
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    I sense negativity to my comments.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Keeping d*d Happy Posts: 11,595
  • demt
    demt
    Senior Member Posts: 1,612
    my css3 reference is suddenly unavailable

argh ive been dt,eed
  • Derek Smalls
    Derek Smalls
    This is what is bugging me... http://www.novolume.co.uk/blog/all-websites-look-the-same/
    Every web designer website I have come across looks like this
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,252
    I blame developers and company owners.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,380
    Problem is it both quickly conveys brand, message and tone, and is easy to make responsive.

In many respects it's a logical answer to a lot of folks assumptions about what their business should look like and how it should function. Hard for them to look past it.

Our job is to show them more, and when they fight enough, try and do something new inside those parameters (been there twice in the last year)
  • Zhero
    Zhero
    Registered User Posts: 28
    Is with everything, 90% is unoriginal, 10% or less is original. Nothing wrong with that. But i still see a lot of more original websites, you just have to know where to look. And a better world starts with yourself.
  • gotnousername
    gotnousername
    Chavtastic Posts: 4,396
    Zhero wrote: »
    Is with everything, 90% is unoriginal, 10% or less is original. Nothing wrong with that. But i still see a lot of more original websites, you just have to know where to look. And a better world starts with yourself.

Where do you visit these mythical websites sir?
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    Leaders lead and followers follow, sadly the world has more followers than truly creative leaders and with millions of new sites all the time the real standouts get lost in the crowd. I'm guilty of making sites that look like the norm for two reasons, one I'm a good enough developer to replicate what others do, and two I'm not a good enough designer to come up with something better.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    Zhero wrote: »

Where do you visit these mythical websites sir?

I was wondering the same.