AFFINITY PHOTO Digital photo editing

Matt_e11
Matt_e11
Grammatically inconsistenPosts: 5,075 in Photography
Just watched the video and this looks pretty decent.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

they are doing signs ups for the Beta version

[vv]118802763[/vv]

Comments

• handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,796
    I grabbed a copy. First impression: nice. Fast. Has some glitches, but it's a beta. Opens my PSD files fine and is similar to PS without be a complete clone. I'm still on CS3, so I suspect this will be my upgrade and I can escape Adobe.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    I'd like to see some tutorials on it, it's selection tools look awesome, things like that building perspective. I just fiddled with it a bit but it wasn't obvious how to do things like that. Interesting, especially if it's mostly compatible with PSD's
  • moz
    moz
    The 1970sPosts: 6,591
    I'm really looking forward to Affinity Publisher which is supposedly their alternative to InDesign. This looks good though.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,484
    If they continue this path Adobe will just buy them out anyway. All hail the evil empire?
  • moz
    moz
    Looks like its gone live, now available from the App Store for £29.99…

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

[vv]132757806[/vv]
  • moz
    moz
    I'm using Affinity Designer on a regular basis now and have been using the Photo beta for some time and bought it this morning, its a lot faster than Photoshop and the integration with Designer is pretty good.

Will be interesting to see what happens with their 'Affinity Publisher' software which is due out in beta next year. There are other page layout apps out there but they're pretty tame and aimed at people who want to stick a crappy flyer together. If its going to be taken seriously it'll need to at least read Indesign files (and Quark).

Interesting times.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,380
    Added a fiver for UK market I see... anyway nowt new there... Still, it's a bargain if it can do 50% of Photoshops main tasks.

What I'd need:

Masking / Multiple Selection options
    Layer Styles
    Layer Multi Grouping
    Batching & Actions

I'm guessing this is all out of the box? Also - how well does is it dovetail with PSD? Have you opened saved and closed in both to see if things are preserved?
  • moz
    moz
    There's a few issues with legacy PSD files which is I think due to the layer effects but its worth downloading the beta and giving it a try. I don't know if I'd trust it with legacy files but if you're starting from scratch its pretty good.

I think this is the latest version

https://s3.amazonaws.com/affinity-beta/download/Affinity+Designer+Customer+Beta.dmg

I don't do masses of photo editing so probably won't have seen anything other people would find as problems. Suits me though.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Keeping d*d Happy Posts: 11,595
    Bought this yesterday, had a look for two minutes, doubt I'll ever use it again.