Another "which camera should I get" thread

KingCraig
KingCraig
~ChesterPosts: 7,224 in Photography
Mrs Craig wants to buy me a camera for chrimbo.

I've never really been a fan of the bog standard digital cameras, besides I have my phone for point and click when walking down the street.

I'm after a very basic DSLR for taking on holidays, country walks, family gatherings. I want to experiment with fstop* and the like, but nothing too complicated.

The catch is it needs to be pretty compact and under £300.

Is there such a thing?

* can you tell I know nothing about photography?

Comments

• socreative
    socreative
    deal with it Posts: 8,914
    maybe mirrorless then?
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,035
    Yes, mirrorless.

I have the Canon EOS-M, a white one, with a little brown leather case. Last week I even managed to find extension tubes for it.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    ~ ChesterPosts: 7,224
    This one? Ideally wanted something with a viewfinder, but I'll have a read of some reviews, thanks.

What about any older models that aren't mirrorless that one could pick up for cheap on eBay? This Canon looks a good size, but I'm not sure I need it that small, whatever I'm looking for isn't going to fit in my pocket anyway. Also not arsed about a flash.
  • socreative
    socreative
    you'll need glass though,. What sort of photos do you want to take?
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,035
    That's the one. I still use the IXUS more often than the EOS for general mucking about. I intend to get to know the EOS intimately on my summer holiday. It's only its unfamiliarity which prevents me from grabbing it first.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    socreative wrote:
    What sort of photos do you want to take?

Just some close ups and medium photos of people or street shots... don't really know until I start using it.

Not epic distant landscapes or macros of bees on flowers though.

By glass do you mean lenses? Had a go on my wifes 18-55mm (does that sound right?) lens and that sort of range seems fine. She also has a 70-200 I think but I don't really want multiple lenses, although the option would be nice one day I guess.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    KingCraig wrote:
    Not...macros of bees on flowers though.
    What? Why not? Moz needs some competition.

On topic, though, I'm a huge fan of Canon. To me, there is Canon and every other brand. I have a Rebel T1i, but it seems you're after something more portable.
  • moz
    moz
    The 1970sPosts: 6,587
    KingCraig wrote:
    Ideally wanted something with a viewfinder, but I'll have a read of some reviews, thanks.
    I know what you mean regarding a viewfinder, I much prefer one to looking at a large screen on the back of a camera.

Here's a few tips for you…

If you go for a traditional DSLR then you'll be able to get an optical viewfinder so you're looking directly through the eyepiece and through the lens - they're the best. If you go mirrorless then you're probably going to have to put up with either no viewfinder or an electronic one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of electronic viewfinders (EVF) but was quite impressed with the Fuji X-T1's which has a really high refresh rate so that you don't really think you're looking at a screen and the exposure you see is extremely close to what you get when you load the files up (its pricey though - I sold two other camera bodies to get that one).

The image quality from most cameras are really good these days so its more down to features (panoramas, dynamic refocusing etc) and handling.

Most importantly, I'd say if you choose a camera with an EVF, go down to Jessops or your local camera shop and try one. Look through it and pan from light to dark areas - does it judder? That's the camera trying to refresh the image as you change exposure - the faster the refresh rate the less you'll notice the transition.

Some compacts have limited manual controls - my wife wanted to get more creative with her shutter speeds and aperture but the camera options were really limited as it was geared more towards automatic exposures.

Glass - that's the lens. With a £300 budget you'd end up with camera body and a kit lens which will do a reasonably good job but you can always get a really good lens at a later date if you wanted.

If you want to get creative and capture images with lovely bokeh (where the foreground subject is sharp but the background is nice and blurred) you'll need a lens with a large aperture, something like f/2.0 or f/1.8 so check out the price of these before you choose your camera body.

Nikon and Canon have the 'nifty fifty' 50mm prime lens which produces some good quality images - you could probably pick one up second hand for £50.

As a rule you can't use a Nikon lens on a Canon vice-versa etc without an adaptor (and you'll lose some functionality like auto focus etc). Some cameras have an auto focus motor built-in whereas cheaper bodies don't. This means if you get a lens which doesn't have a motor and your camera body doesn't have a motor then you'll have to manually focus. I'd say get a body which has the motor built-in as you can use pretty much any lens with it otherwise you may find yourself paying a touch more for a lens with a motor in it (saying that, a lot of lenses have motors in them these days).

That's all I can think of right now, if you want any advice (although I'm no expert) I'd be more than happy to try and help.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,614
    The basic entry level DSLRs with basic kit lenses from Canon/Nikon are awfully good these days.
  • socreative
    socreative
    550d, 650d, 1100d
  • bennyboy
    bennyboy
    Ah yo Boogie Down B-TownPosts: 3,756
    Chrimbo? She starts her shopping early.
  • seen.to
    seen.to
    unusual suspect ™ DelawherePosts: 6,371
    What brand does the missus use? Get the same and you'll already have access to extra lenses. So long as you get (and she has) a regular size DSLR.

I've had my Canon 40D for seven-years now and I'm still totally happy with it. Spent more on lenses, flashes and other accessories over the years than the body cost but that's all entirely optional.

If the missus shoots Canon then take a look at the Rebels as they all look like great value.
  • StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,551
    I had a Nikon D3200, and it was lovely. As an entry-level DSLR I was very pleased with it. At the time it cost me around your budget, but it's probably cheaper now as it's been superseded by the D3300. You probably saw some of the better photos I took with it, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Sold it recently so I could eat human food.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Mrs Craig has a Nikon, can't remember which model, d40 looks familiar from the googles. Sharing her spare lens might be useful actually.

Maybe compactness isn't that important actually, I'm going to be using it when I have it with me...

Interesting about the limited manual controls... I don't need too much control right now because I have no clue what I'm doing, but might get more adventurous.

Cheers all. Might pop to John Lewis / PC world soon and have a play. Do they still have older models for sale generally?

Also, probably worth me playing around with my wife's camera for a bit... I'm assuming most of the different nikon models have the same sort of controls?
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Saw this at the weekend and had a bit of a play. Easy to use. Nice and compact too.
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,206
    There's no real manual adjustments on that though.
  • moz
    moz
    I think the adjustments are on the lens itself…

5iNiKqi.png

You can program keys for it but I'd find that really frustrating. Plus the lens is f/3.5 - f/5.6 so its not a fast lens and there's no real scope for creativity if you're wanting to "play with the f-stop".

Its got all the 'tech' which means its doing pretty much everything for you. Get something with proper manual controls and get a good lens and you're good to go. Unless you really need a baby monitor too…

wPhsPxE.png

If price is a big issue, why not take a look and see what you can get somewhere like the Cash Converters website? There are some bargains there - I got a Blackberry Z10 which was practically brand new, boxed, cables etc for under £100. I know Blackberries aren't up there with iOS and Android (which I hate) but it knocks the socks off my old Blackberry and does the trick for me.

You could net yourself a little belter there, plus if you're not happy with your purchase you can return it to the branch for your money back.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Might be being stupid but there is manual controls on the touch screen...

Can't find any pictures online, but a bunch of settings pop up with sliders to let you adjust the Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO and there was a fourth which I forget what it was called.

I had decided to just go for a second hand SLR until I saw this. It's a lovely little size.

Still wondering how much control I actually need...
  • moz
    moz
    Only you know that.

Had a look through Youtube for reviews but they're only about a minute or so long. This video shows the functionality and how the touchscreen works:

[yt]Vw-xhJO5UV0[/yt]

This is the idiot guide to it:

[yt]AePcUOO-G1w[/yt]

Thought you wanted one with a viewfinder?
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Yeah so did I, but when I was playing around with this one it didn't bother me.

Cheers for all the info. Good job I'm planning this well in advance!
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,206
    The other half has got one of those bridge cameras that lets you adjust aperture etc. via software on the control screen. It's a fucking ballache and a cunt to make on the fly adjustments. Give me a decent DSLR or Fuji X series anytime.
  • moz
    moz
    Klang wrote:
    Give me a decent DSLR or Fuji X series anytime.

^ That.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Noted
  • moz
    moz
    Saw this tweeted from Wex Photographic this morning:

DxzwsDn.png

Fuji X-M1 Digital Camera with 16-50mm Lens - Black (P10NC11650A) - Wex Photographic

So, £399 for the body with a 16-50mm lens and you can get a free 50-230mm lens too - that's not a bad deal - Fuji glass is top notch. There's no viewfinder but you could keep your glass and upgrade the body at a later date if you really miss it.

Z0yjnVE.jpg

Some of the other Fuji X lenses (the primes) have the aperture control on a ring, the zooms (like this one) are controlled by the thumbwheel on the back of the camera. You could probably pick up a good second hand 18mm f/2 lens for about £100 if you wanted to play around with DOF etc.
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,614
    I need a one-eye viewfinder. Without a viewfinder that you hold up to your face, aren't you very compromised at framing anything moving? (answer: hell yes. right?)
  • moz
    moz
    Yup. But KC said he isn't bothered about that and has a budget of around £300. An extra £99 and he gets two stonking lenses to boot - certainly worth it.

If he can put a little extra to it he could get the X-E1 (which has an EVF) on the same free lens deal. The X-E2 would be better (the X-E1's replacement) as it has a better quality EVF etc, but I don't think you get the lens deal plus the body alone is almost the same price as the X-E1 with the two lenses.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    That's great Moz, cheers.
  • chips
    chips
    Mr chips to you Posts: 4,401
    I got a Canon T3i years ago. It's not in great shape..but it kinda does the job.

Looking to get a new cam - *mainly for shooting video*

I have enough air miles to get the new T5i
    Amazon.com : Canon EOS Rebel T5i Digital SLR with 18-135mm STM Lens : Electronics

but not the Canon 70D. Not sure how far along the T5i is in comparison.

I fancy the panasonic GH3, but would need to get lenses.
    Gh4 would be great, but a little excessive (4K video..)

I have a couple of lenses, but nothing that special for the Canon.

I like the look of the Blackmagic pocket cinema camera..but that's only for shooting vids. Would be nice to get a DSLR for options of stills of video.

camera confusion.
  • calder12
    calder12
    Senior Member Posts: 13,302
    This isn't from experience but I had quite a long talk about consumer level DSLR's in a camera shop a while back and the sales person recommended the t5i pretty strongly when it came to video.
  • chips
    chips
    after some thought/watching reviews...

Gh4 is an amazing camera. but it is also $1900 for just the body second hand.

I'm leaning towards a GH3 for around $750 from a friend. Shoots 2K.

also HD at 60 FPS. I think that should do it for me.

Not convinced by Canon at this point - seems like they bring out new models every year for the rebel with little or no improvements.

shot with GH3.

[vv]83675201[/vv]

although they did use a $1000 lens on it.
  • chips
    chips
    alright. a decision has been made
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Review: Digital Photography Review

buying from a friend.
    decent price and I'll save some money for a couple of good lenses for it.

likely -
    Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
    and 12-35mm f/2.8 would be great.
  • KingCraig
    KingCraig
    Nice
  • chips
    chips
    nifty lil camera! well chuffed.
    z-panasonic-gm1_inhand-600px__largest-no-more-than-580x630.jpg

borrowing a 20mm f/1.7 pancake from a friend. He'll probably sell me it for a decent price.