Lighting for product photography

stealthcow
stealthcow
knocking headsPosts: 2,270 in Photography
I'm interested in expanding my photography skills and want to practice product photography. I've done a lot of Googling and there are so many conflicting setups when it comes to lighting equipment.

I'm curious if you guys can recommend a low budget setup so I can start taking photos of small and medium sized products on a white background. Your standard e-commerce type things - houseware, kitchenware, clothing, accessories and food.

I've already got the camera, lenses and tripod (Canon).

Comments

• moz
    moz
    The 1970sPosts: 6,590
    I've got one of these from Modahaus which is great for small product shots but you can get the same thing (infinity curve) with some white cardboard, bulldog clips and something to attach them to.

I found this link in my bookmarks which should hopefully give you an idea:

The Simple Guide to Shooting a Perfectly Lit Product Photo - Tuts+ Photography Tutorial

Also, check out this chaps youtube channel as he has some homemade product shot videos which cover the basics:

[yt]JHRaEzJd4iM[/yt]

[yt]RfjxwceDU5s[/yt]

[yt]yPGBi87aFmI[/yt]

[yt]F7WINF2r_pA[/yt]

[yt]dgmZJ3syXbE[/yt]

[yt]ImQuhmf6Q5A[/yt]

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForrestTanaka/videos
  • handcraftedweb
    handcraftedweb
    thought leader Left coastPosts: 6,728
    I don't have any experience in product photography and lighting and such, but I do know a remote shutter release lets you shoot at slower shutter speeds, which can make your lighting requirements less expensive.

When the shutter speed gets below 1/30, even with a good tripod it's hard to click the camera shutter button without imparting a little vibration, and that vibration basically removes resolution.

So if you're not already using a remote shutter release, a cheap infrared remote ($20 at most, $5 for a Chinese version) can help you maximize the resolution of your camera.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,073
    Or if you're a real cheapskate, you can use the camera's built-in self-timer, set for two or ten seconds delay, which serves the same purpose.
  • stealthcow
    stealthcow
    knocking heads Posts: 2,270
    Thanks moz - really useful :)

handcraftedweb - thanks for the tip, fortunately I already have a remote shutter release so I'll keep that in mind :)

And steveb, yep - that works too!
  • carldweb
    carldweb
    Banned Posts: 21
    Hey I agree with Moz. go with him. nice one this is