clients say the funniest things

Nick
Nick
Cream of DTPosts: 18,151 in General Discussion
Post your favourite client quotes/comments over the past year.

This one in today takes some beating:
Can I have the social indexing stuff, bookmark this page with facebook, digg etc?
I don’t know what it is but think I need it.

Comments

• PointandStare
    PointandStare
    Watch it sonny Posts: 2,207
    "but why should i pay you that much when I can just save as html in word?"
  • Timus
    Timus
    Heaven Born & Ever Bright Posts: 6,433
    From just the other day I give you:
    "Love the site, everyone we have shown it to loves it. Thank you!.. But we don't have any money at the moment so can you not send your invoice for a while please"
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Señor Member Brooklyn, NYPosts: 6,544
    I put a site live once and the client called me an hour later to ask:
    I've just searched on Bing and I'm not even on the 20th page?!
  • teapoted
    teapoted
    ~ Posts: 7,089
    I thought people who used bing would know better.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    I assume she upgraded her MSN and left the default search box ticked when installing.
  • OD
    OD
    mODerator Posts: 8,302
    From last week...
    Can we make sure we have the catalogue ready for the printers on Friday... Oh, and there are some products on the way from China to be photographed

Yeah, great, thanks for having everything ready for the project for us!
  • jamblo
    jamblo
    Tea Snob Posts: 5,574
    It is more simple than I make out, isn't it?
    I have just read it back and that is the least sense I've made in one paragraph in my life.
    Good luck interpreting it.

referring to a long-winded explanation of that they wanted
  • Tekka
    Tekka
    Slam in the Lamb Posts: 559
    from a couple of weeks ago:
    If I send you a jpeg of [someone else's company] logo could you see if you have a chrome font that would make it look a little better? Also if you wanna sketch out some new logo ideas for them at a later date I'm sure they'd be interested
  • socreative
    socreative
    deal with it Posts: 8,916
    i got this message yesterday
    Hi I saw your post on the forum. I need a website designed and built asap for my estate agency business that will requires database systemand will have about 10+ pages. Please call me as I am a serious client
  • Micah
    Micah
    Hello world! Posts: 97
    socreative wrote:
    i got this message yesterday
    Sounds like they mean business
  • Pacey
    Pacey
    vertical, but horizontal. Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 956
    I paraphrase:
    We want to sex it up a bit. Put some women in bikinis on there leaning against the building. And make the logo bigger.

This for a sign 40 metres wide and over 10 metres high, advertising a new resedential apartment development. I thought it had been requested by Dave Knockles (from "I AM THE CLIENT!!").
  • Synook
    Synook
    What happened? Posts: 2,159
  • OD
    OD
    A little bit of genius from yesterday...

"So, once I've gone through the printer's proofs, you'll guarantee for me that there'll be no errors in the finished brochure?"

Um, well yes, if you don't see any errors in the proofs...
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,252
    Never guarantee anything!
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    _RFB Posts: 5,872
    You miserable bastard, James

• OD
    OD
    Nah, we didn't...

We just told them that once they've signed off the proofs it's their responsibility if there are any mistakes in the final print run, and that they should check everything thoroughly.

Not having a situation like last year, where a client tried taking the agency I was working at to court because we wouldn't refund them after they noticed a couple of tiny typos in their brochure, which they'd seen the printer's proofs for and signed-off (we had told them what I've just told this client, but hey, some clients are cunts).
  • jg9
    jg9
    Registered User HamptonsPosts: 802
    Had a call last week asking if I could design an 8pp brochure, and it be ready for printing the following day. He called at 4pm.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    社長 Posts: 15,039
    So how much did you tell them you would bump up the price to get it done in that timeline?
  • jg9
    jg9
    Registered User HamptonsPosts: 802
    Couldn't do it, too busy.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    I can sympathize with that!

I still may have highballed him though.
  • seen.to
    seen.to
    unusual suspect ™ DelawherePosts: 6,371
    For an email design a few weeks back
    We want the main body text to be in 12pt Trade Gothic Black Condensed, the footer in 11pt Trade Gothic Book, move the logo 8px to the right and the sub-header 14px down. Make the plain blue left-nav a gradient from Pantone 8185C to light blue to match our brochures, move the links so there's only a couple of pixels between them and change the font in our logo to Trade Gothic Bold.

I explained that Trade Gothic wasn't a standard font and couldn't replace the main body or footer text with that font. I made the positioning changes with an explanation that everything will now be off balance and difficult to read. I explained that they were requesting a metallic ink on screen and that I hadn't seen their brochure so had no idea how that was supposed to look. I also explained that there was no scope for redesigning their logo.

Person has since become uncontactable.
  • Juice
    Juice
    Senior Member Posts: 1,212
    In regards to a quote for a redesign where he spent almost an hour telling me what he wanted to achieve after being to an ebusiness seminar
    I've no money at the moment, i'm actually in a financially embarrassing situation. But if you do the work, I promise i'll come through in 4 to 5 months
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    "Let's compromise. You pay me in 4-5 months, then I'll promise to do the work."

Some people are fucked.
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    ' Posts: 7,228
    Clients say the most hellish things... 2.0

I think the original is gone. Thought we could start another one.

Client: "I know I asked for surname and first initial for the emails, but Kevin McEwan is getting a bit embarassed so we'd like to change it."
  • OD
    OD
    Haha...

I wonder if all the re-created threads are going to be v2.0 now. :lol:

One from Friday...

"Can we have a quote for a brochure please?"

"Umm, do you have any details, i.e. number of pages, size, etc?"

"No, we just need a quote..."
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    _RFB Posts: 5,872
    where it the original thread? not in archive or something?
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    http://www.designerstalk.com/forums/general-discussion/53871-lost-posts.html
    oli wrote:
    Something happened to the Database last night and we lost some forums,
    Tried a weekly backup but that didnt work as the backup was done this mornign after it happened so Ive had to go back a month - so thats the reason for missing posts/ threads etc.
  • hawken
    hawken
    Senior Member Posts: 4,772
    Had a nice bloke ask me to pitch for a site but my quote and his offer were missing a zero.
  • OD
    OD
    "We're pulling the job"

"Oh, can I ask why?"

"What you've done so far I just don't think is something we can use. It's not really your fault, you've followed our original brief, I just don't think we briefed you correctly..."

...after some conversation with me trying to save the job (i.e. "we can work up alternatives..." no joy)

"Well, I'm sorry you feel that you don't want to carry on with the project at this time. What we'll do is invoice for the work already done, and then if you decide in the future that you want to re-start the job we can carry on from that point."

"Why are you invoicing us? We're not using the work you've done..."

And so it begins.
  • CM_
    CM_
    Something Posts: 13,770

"Why are you invoicing us? We're not using the work you've done..."

And so it begins.

for fucks sake
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    That's pathetic, OD. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering and eating a starter and main course, then declining dessert and saying 'I didn't eat all three courses, so I'm not paying'. Why do people think they can get away with it? Try that with a mechanic and you'd be told straight.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    They've aknowledged that you've done work for them. They now have no legs to stand on. They're obviously new to the whole 'dodging bills' game. Newbs.
  • OD
    OD
    Some things clients say are funny, others just take the piss.
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    Some things clients say are funny, most just take the piss.
    Fixed.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    Anxious wrote:
    That's pathetic, OD. It's like going to a restaurant, ordering and eating a starter and main course, then declining dessert and saying 'I didn't eat all three courses, so I'm not paying'. Why do people think they can get away with it? Try that with a mechanic and you'd be told straight.

That's probably exactly how you should explain it to them OD.

They asked you to do work.
    You did work.
    Doing work = money.
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    Website Molester Posts: 3,321
    Asked to do a design on behalf of an agency I freelance for over the weekend. Looked very sleek and nice. They ended up going with a completely different and shitter design. They were a massive client too. Would have been so good.
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,151
    Sorry, your [conservative] quotation supplied for our [totally obscure] project brief was above our [piss-poor] budget on this occasion.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    You Ecks Posts: 11,545
    Depressing reading this thread. Nothing funny about what some of these twats say.
  • OD
    OD
    We had one come back the other day who acknowledged receipt of the contract for their job, which included a detailed cost breakdown, payment terms and the agreed payment plan...

Then they put the job on hold until we could give them a detailed breakdown of costs.

It boggles the mind how some of these people get through day-to-day life, let alone run a business...
  • Klang
    Klang
    It would seem shrugging their shoulders is the New Thing™ with my clients today.

Client 1

Me: The deadline I received via your boss by the printers lapses today and you still haven't given me all the info.

Clients employee: *Shrugs shoulders*

Me: This might mean you miss your production deadline

Clients employee: *Shrugs shoulders*

Client 2

Me: Do you have any feedback on the proof I gave you at the beginning of the month?

Clients employee: No, I've been too busy

Me: Your boss (the client) told me they needed to see a final proof when they got back off holiday this Wednesday, I need feedback to finalise the artwork

Clients employee: *shrugs shoulders*

Me: Will I have something to work on tomorrow?

Clients employee: You might..

Me: I really need this sorted, this job is dragging on far to long

Clients employee: *Shrugs shoulders* I've got a meeting to go to.

I'm all to wise to this shrugging shoulders bullshit, when their bosses catch up it will be all my fault and that conversation never happened. I sent them the same questions in an email.
  • hawken
    hawken
    Senior Member Posts: 4,772
    cc the boss.
  • Klang
    Klang
    Nah, If they haven't replied by 11am I send another one and BCC the Boss.
  • Quicky
    Quicky
    Pixel pusher Posts: 358
    Parrot phrased from client:

We love your illustration work, Can you send us some images to brighten up our council website or create some new ones for us. It will be great for you as you will have a credit on the page and will save us any copyright issues... (if we just nicked them).

Went all quiet when I mentions the costs to 'give' them use of the images...
  • OD
    OD
    Didn't you post that before...
    Klang wrote:
    Nah, If they haven't replied by 11am I send another one and BCC the Boss.
    I'd be interested to see how that pans out (hopefully with the shruggers getting a bollocking!).
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    The same guy who I mentioned a while ago for moaning about paying me because he had just bought his missus a new BMW and he isn't getting much work; he's back again.

This time, I advised him not to spend £1400 on an Apple Mac because he's a plumber and he can barely use Windows XP (using Google as an address bar, can't copy and paste etc).

He told me yesterday he bought one because it costs more so it must be better.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Keeping d*d Happy Posts: 11,595
    He's right.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    He's absolutely wrong in this case. He's a plumber that only needs a computer for word processing (quoting).

If he can't work a machine made for the home user, he's going to have a 'mare with a machine made for professionals.

He had a machine that did everything he needed. He could have bought another one that did everything he needed for £300. But no, he will call me in the next week to complain about the Mac.

Let's not forget Tom, not everyone's a designer/producer/animator. So FYT.
  • Klang
    Klang
    I'd be interested to see how that pans out (hopefully with the shruggers getting a bollocking!).

I'll never hear about whether or not they get a bollocking.

I had one client who would send me the occasional small job who had under their employ the laziest, most incompetent, lying little bitch I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Would never listen to their boss properly when taking instructions, then would pass the job to me, then when I sent the job back and it was nothing like the boss had asked for, blame me. Would often 'forget' I'd sent her a proof then two weeks later when the boss is asking me where the fuck this job is would deny ever receiving the proof, the boss would then chew my ear about it, I'd tell him I sent it two weeks back and forward him on the read receipt and the response I got back from her, it would then go quiet, the job would be signed off, then four weeks later, still no sign of payment, final demand would be sent, two weeks and two phone calls later, still no payment, threatening letter would be sent and a phone call to the boss and about a week later the cheque would arrive.

I wouldn't mind this happening once or twice a year, but this happened five times out of the seven jobs I did for them and they were all small £50-£150 jobs, I bit my lip the first few time as you know, they might one day want a bigger job doing, but after spending a year dealing with this obnoxious cow who would fuck me about on every job, take 3-4 months to complete and pay for a job which should all have really been wrapped up in 3-4 weeks, but would speak to me on the phone like I was a servant.

When the eighth job came in I emailed her boss and told him that unless he addressed the attitude and professionalism of his staff I couldn't carry on working for his company. I never heard back.

But, the moral of the story is, usually, if someones employee is being a lazy unprofessional cunt, one email should do to either re-address this and you'll never hear about it again and have a perfectly good working relationship with them or you'll never hear from them again once that job is done.

Only occasionally does neither happen.
  • OD
    OD
    Klang wrote:
    ...who had under their employ the laziest, most incompetent, lying little bitch I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
    Got a couple of those ourselves.

One tried to have a go at me for not sending some proofs through...

We'd agreed over the phone (and on eMail) that they needed to have an internal meeting, iron out what they wanted the job to do then get back to me so I had the right brief to create visuals. This was to save them confusion (and more billable time) later.

No call had come from them, and I'd chased on eMails and left messages but still nothing.

Then this arsey phonecall...

"Where are we with the visuals, do you have something to show us yet?"

"No, as we agreed you were to have an internal meeting then get back to me with what you'd decided before I started on visuals. This was to make sure that we're on the right track and will save on time making lots of alterations later."

"So what you're really saying is you haven't done anything!"

Cheeky little twat.
  • Shiro
    Shiro
    You need to find a new job OD - your company sounds like it's a magnet for fucking morons.
  • ian
    ian
    éireannach Posts: 1,960
    Shiro wrote:
    You need to find a new job OD - your company sounds like it's a magnet for fucking morons.

Maybe he's the magnet and not the company?
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    Gorzilla Posts: 5,217
    OD - just put everything in writing. Make sure you confirm everything in an email, then you can tell the cheeky little twats to done one.
  • Aden
    Aden
    Registered User Posts: 35
    Had a few funny ones, a client phoning us up a week after completing their website saying it doesn't print out very well. Then having to make the website printer friendly for them, which was odd as it was just a roofing company.

Best one was a client phoning up about problems with their website, we ask them to send us a screenshot. Moments later the fax starts going and out comes a hand drawn photo of the guys screen. We laughed and framed the amazing drawing, it was in our old offices for ages to remind us how stupid clients are.
  • OD
    OD
    Shiro wrote:
    A lot of the stuff I post on here is from the same clients, we've got a handful who are a nightmare to deal with.
    iandevlin wrote:
    Maybe he's the magnet and not the company?
    I don't bring the clients in...
    Pete Nice wrote:
    OD - just put everything in writing.
    I do mate.
  • ian
    ian
    I was trying to be funny, I failed.

I shall retire for a while.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    Had a few funny ones, a client phoning us up a week after completing their website saying it doesn't print out very well. Then having to make the website printer friendly for them, which was odd as it was just a roofing company.

I'm afraid that is just laziness on your part. Set up an alternate css file for print as standard.
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    Gorzilla Posts: 5,217
    Dusteh wrote:
    I'm afraid that is just laziness on your part. Set up an alternate css file for print as standard.

Balls, if someone wants their site printer friendly - that's extra. I wouldn't do it by default.
  • Aden
    Aden
    Registered User Posts: 35
    Pete Nice wrote:
    Balls, if someone wants their site printer friendly - that's extra. I wouldn't do it by default.

Exactly
  • Klang
    Klang
    Who actually prints a site out? I haven't since I was at Uni, and then it wasn't from a desktop. I might print out a page if it had a map/contact info on it, but not the whole site.
  • ian
    ian
    Klang wrote:
    Who actually prints a site out?

Many of the clients portrayed in this thread probably.
  • Klang
    Klang
    Well, it is a thread dedicated to the annoying and idiotic of the client world.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    Remind me not to subcontract any of you cowboys then ;)
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    toxic designer Posts: 9,841
    Am I the only one who thinks the term "cowboys" isn't nearly as negative-sounding as it should be? It's almost kind of cool.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    Banditos
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Yeah like 'pirates'. Who wouldn't want to be a pirate?
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    also known as little dick. The Occupied SixPosts: 8,985
    A pile of men alone on a boat....................it's a bit gay.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    When are they ever a pile? Pirates are womanisers. Everyone knows this. They hit the shores, go get some booty (fanny, not treasure), refill on rum then they're off again.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    And also willingly substitute fleshly parts of the bodies for metal hooks, or wooden bludgeons.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    I don't know many pirates Mr Webstar. I'm sorry. Anyway back your idiot client stories. Keeps me going through the day.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Willingly? Where do you get these facts? Those are just drunken accidents. You know, the ones that you say to your mates a few years later, "Oh shit, you remember that time I got so smashed and..."

Captain Morgan = prime example.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    LittleMick wrote:
    I don't know many pirates Mr Webstar. I'm sorry. Anyway back your idiot client stories. Keeps me going through the day.

You now know one...

... garr
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    Jeremy Kyle doesn't have much time for pirates.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Jeremy Kyle is every guest he has on his show.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    Jeremy Kyle beat Chuck Noris in a staring contest.
  • OD
    OD
    He was pretty funny on talkSPORT though.
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    He's my idol.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Because he sat on that step and told you you're a liar?
  • LittleMick
    LittleMick
    He'd certainly know how to sort out your clients.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    My client issues don't affect me as much as they do themselves. When they do bother me, I have somebody else deal with them. Jeremy Kyle would do the same... he'd pawn them off on Graham.
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    Webstar wrote:
    Willingly? Where do you get these facts? Those are just drunken accidents. You know, the ones that you say to your mates a few years later, "Oh shit, you remember that time I got so smashed and..."

Captain Morgan = prime example.

If I were a pirate, first order of business would be lopping off my left hand and replacing it with a hook or some other implement of violence. If we're talking modern day technology, preferably a saw or a gatling gun.
  • OD
    OD
    Giraffe wrote:
    If we're talking modern day technology, preferably a saw or a gatling gun.
    I'm just waiting for bionics to become a technical reality (without being hooked up to a massive power source and several computers)... Then I'm getting me one of them Terminator / RoboCop arms.

I'll be crushing stuff left, right and centre. :)
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Client: I want this extra page, all the information you need is here: xxxxxxx.com/xxxxx

Me: I can't just take content off of somebody's website

Client: Ok, what if I copy it and send it to you?

Me: Yeah, I can do that but they will just ask for the content to be removed

Client: That's fine, I'll just get my money back if that happens

Me: No
  • OD
    OD
    Webstar wrote:
    Client: That's fine, I'll just get my money back if that happens
    Jesus wept...

It's like our "We're not paying you for concepts we didn't use" client.
  • Beartrap
    Beartrap
    Shadowplay Posts: 1,724
    This was in an email regarding page changes:

Audit Page: click not working
  • OD
    OD
    Just had a belter...

"I thought you could just re-size the ad, I didn't realize you'd have to re-create it!"

Yep, just let me press that magic button in Quark that scales an A4 insert (with shitloads of copy) into a 95x133mm advert.

Fuck me...
  • Klang
    Klang
    I've had that one before, but this was a A5 portrait flyer up to the size of the signage space you have on the side of buses!
  • Giraffe
    Giraffe
    People's conception of technology is sometimes frightening. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people believed it was possible to be beamed somewhere, a la star trek.
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,151
    Supplied a quote for 10 days worth of work.
    Client askes if it could be done in 3.
  • Paddy
    Paddy
    Vive la Pirate Bay Posts: 8,124
    Giraffe wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people believed it was possible to be beamed somewhere, a la star trek.
    Isn’t it?

I read about it in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or maybe The Sun.
  • Shaun
    Shaun
    Just over 3 days without sleep, tell them. But you charge 4 times as much for this.
  • OD
    OD
    sub wrote:
    Supplied a quote for 10 days worth of work.
    Client askes if it could be done in 3.
    Haha... Quality.

Another example of how off the mark some clients are with their assessment of how quick work can be done.
  • Paddy
    Paddy
    Vive la Pirate Bay Posts: 8,124
    It seems to be a problem specific to our industry as well.

If you go to a furniture maker and they tell you your bespoke dining room set will take a month, you wait a month.

If you go to a designer and they tell you your website will take a month, you ask them to do it sooner, ignore requests for feedback, constantly change details, and then refuse to pay because you’ve decided to go with a different ‘company’ who claim they can do the job for one tenth of the price in three days.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    It is a culture-wide problem with the value of data. The computer has created this myth that bytes are not in the same world as physical products, like someone else said - its like it is some modern form of magic.

Probably why people feel it is ok to copy music/films/software. We are still in the dark ages of computers and the net, I'm sure in the future data will eventually be recognised as a proper commodity by everyone.
  • OD
    OD
    It's the whole "this should only take you 5/10 minutes" thing that annoys me the most.

Yeah, okay mate, I'll work to how long you think it should take.
  • CM_
    CM_
    Something Posts: 13,770
    Dusteh wrote:
    It is a culture-wide problem with the value of data. The computer has created this myth that bytes are not in the same world as physical products, like someone else said - its like it is some modern form of magic.

Thats an interesting way of putting it, i have often though this.

The process is kind of intangible
  • OD
    OD
    The process is kind of intangible
    That's exactly why we're now going to be providing clients with a more detailed explanation of our design process. Hopefully a bit more education will smooth out a lot of future stupid questions / comments.

Hopefully.
  • Dusty
    Dusty
    The problem is often even we don't know the best process. You quote a client two weeks to build them a blog CMS - and then someone shows you Wordpress - obviously not that retarded but you get my point. No other industry moves as quickly as ours when it comes to the tech involved.

Sorry, keep butting into the funniest quote thread with no quotes. All my clients at the moment are cool.
  • HalfMachine
    HalfMachine
    Senior Member Posts: 216
    That's exactly why we're now going to be providing clients with a more detailed explanation of our design process. Hopefully a bit more education will smooth out a lot of future stupid questions / comments.

Hopefully.

That, or they get a little more information and think they understand it all so clearly and can do it all themselves.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,073
    But they would be back in two months!
  • HalfMachine
    HalfMachine
    Senior Member Posts: 216
    Here's one we had said a few years ago over the phone.

client: I wanted to call you to see what you were doing on Sunday morning.

Me: don't know yet why?

client: well, I need to get a presentation designed of how my brand will look in a big department store. You know, the packaging, the POS, the shelf styling and layout of products.

Me: It doesn't give us much time but I can do as rush job and charge an extra sum on hourly rate.

client: oh, I haven't got any money to do it, but there is a 'Dragon' interested so thought you might want to show them what you could do.

be: so it's free work / no guarantee of any work after it / and we're gonna get all this done from scratch on Sunday morning?

client: yep

me: oooh, busy Sunday morning sorry.