Golf

Accurate
Accurate
AccuratePosts: 2,123 in General Discussion
Took out a few eyes at my first appearance down the driving range last night.

Looking to buy a driver... what can I get for 20 rips?

Comments

• StisterMeve
    StisterMeve
    Fucky-do Posts: 6,612
    Very little.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    One Pint or Two Love Posts: 6,562
    4558.jpg

Without the light.
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    Accurate Posts: 2,123
    50 squids?
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Established Norm Posts: 27,381
    Donnay do a driver for fuck all. Need to head out to a pikeyville motorway outlet store somewhere.

Alternativley go 2nd hand Ebay and hope for best. If you do go ebay - look for ping/mizuno/wilson/nike - all make low budget drivers. Avoid the random makes like pike/nizuno/milson/wing
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    ' Posts: 7,228
    Or try gumtree?
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    Yeh sports soccer do some nice looking (never tried) clubs which are predominantly Donnay / Dunlops. Will do you a treat if you are just starting out.
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    Cool. I've found this for £20 from £100 - any good? Dunlop Mens Cube Driver - Golf Woods - Golf - Choose Your Sport - SportsDirect.com

Can't beleive how expensive clubs are!
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    Cool cheers. I've found this for £20 from £100 - any good? Dunlop Mens Cube Driver - Golf Woods - Golf - Choose Your Sport - SportsDirect.com

Can't beleive how expensive clubs are!
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    so excited I posted it twice
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    £100 is cheap for a driver.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    At no point was that driver £100, but it should do you.
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    Thanks fellas. Done.

Watch out for a flying driver... I am that terrible.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    My mate found a Ping G10 Driver head that had snapped off at the base in a bush on the course. He rang up Ping to see if they could repair it, they said if it was obvious it hadn't been snapped over someones leg then they would repair it and send it back to him for free! Cashback!
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    _RFB Posts: 5,872
    Is golf hard/expensive to get into chaps?

Always looked a bit... you know... floral to me.

But Kinda wanna take it up see whats the crack.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Hardest game I've ever played. Take snooker, and factor it by 10 (wind, dry, wet, course differences, season...)

To get into it, I'd buy/borrow/beg a 2nd had set of irons - go to range - work at hitting the ball for a bit - then play 9 holes - not pitch and put - one with par 4's/5's. Loads of courses are pay and play (council owned are cheapest). Best to go with someone who plays mind you as there's a load of rules to get your head round. Newbs look like idiots without someone shepherding them.

If you like it try 18 on a decent course. Fucking well hard at first. But addictive as fook when you start hitting putts and drives.

Only fat golfers I know use carts. 4hour walk with a couple a' stone of clubs on your back isn't that floral. Takes a wee bit of effort.
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    Cheers limbo!

Will sort out some driving range action.

It does look a bit gay tho? I mean, come on.

speaking of which - is it dress code on all courses?
  • cocknose
    cocknose
    What's a Mod? Posts: 5,243
    There is a top quality golf course a short ferry ride from my house.... used to play abit as a kid but it has been about 15 yrs since i have touched a club. Been thinking about getting back into it but it is an expensive game and not really doing anything for your fitness levels... So i think I have just talked myself out of it again. I'll just go to the restaurant instead.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    TeZ wrote:
    It does look a bit gay tho? I mean, come on.[/SIZE

Aye - wear some nice checkered plus-fours and pink shirt and you'll fit right in.
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    haha, done.
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    Gorzilla Posts: 5,222
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    Website Molester Posts: 3,321
    If you're starting out, get lessons straight away. Invest in a good set of irons. Try out every type of shaft, head and grip available. If you have regular lessons with a pro, he'll be able to tell you which type your swing is suited to.
    Most importantly, Learn the rules and etiquette of the game. Your club house shoud have a book on this.

Have fun.
  • Timus
    Timus
    Heaven Born & Ever Bright Posts: 6,433
    Fucking hate golf. I'm doing a site for a golf club at the moment and the contact at the club used to have a printing firm and thinks he knows about design - before he sold his business for several million. I knew it would be an uphill battle when at the first review he asked, why the site scrolled downwards, as it is better to have it scrolling across the page (easier to read apparently) and demanded they duplicated various pages across the different section of the site to increase exposure. He also had a stroke half way through the project... sigh.
  • oli
    oli
    It's not Golf's fault
  • TeZ
    TeZ
    2Dfruit wrote:
    Try out every type of shaft, head and grip available. If you swing.
    Most importantly, Learn the rules and etiquette of the game. Your club house shoud have a book on this.

Have fun.

Cripes.
  • Timus
    Timus
    oli wrote:
    It's not Golf's fault

Course it is. He was perfectly reasonable before he started swinging his golf bats around.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    2Dfruit wrote:
    If you're starting out, get lessons straight away. Invest in a good set of irons.

Not great advice IMO. I say try before you buy.

A good set of irons = £300 +
    10 lessons = £300 +

Not really necessary.

Nah - play with someone who knows the score, and pick it up as you go. Not rocket science. But shit like order of play, knowing what to do on greens etc is good to know.
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    Limbo wrote:
    Not great advice IMO. I say try before you buy.
    A good set of irons = £300 +
    10 lessons = £300 +
    Not really necessary.

Yeah, I said he should try out every set of irons he can get his hands on. Most pro shops will let you test out some of their irons.

If you try the game without a proper swing, you'll probably play shite and be put off playing any longer...or you'll spend the rest of your life wondering why your handicap is never in the single figures.

It's pretty important that you do get lessons. The golf swing relies on muscle memory. The last thing you want to do is start off with a shite swing. It'll be harder to iron out later on. Then again, if you're happy hacking away at the ball, by all means take it upon yourself.
    Nah - play with someone who knows the score, and pick it up as you go. Not rocket science. But shit like order of play, knowing what to do on greens etc is good to know.

Unless you're a friend, nobody will want to go through 18 holes, educating you as they go. Even if they're a friend, you'd be relying on second hand information. The amount of hackers who don't know the rules of the game they're playing is astounding. You can't simply pick it up as you go along, because you never know what situation you'll find yourself in on any given day. Cover your ass. Buy a rule book, read it. Simple.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    You aren't going to fuck your entire golf swing by hitting a few balls to see if you like it. Go to the range, with someone who knows the game, and have a laugh—then maybe play 9 holes at an accommodating club - council owned.

I didn't reccomend jumping onto a £40 a round 18. That is suicide. The toffs would kick you off within minutes.

But I don't think you have to go through the rigmarole you describe - it's the ideal approach, but to be honest, put me off just listening.

If after testing the water (no pun intended), then yeah, get a few lessons. Definitely a good idea down the line, but pretty expensive way to go unless you want to play quite a bit.

As for clubs - I inherited a set of 1980 mcgregor irons. They were OK-but when you start out no-one can really tell the difference. Used them for a while, then upgraded to a wicked set of mizuno's a couple of years back when I felt like I'd use 'em. Did what you describe - American golf, trialled a load, picked the most suitable for my (pretty heinous) swing.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    I'm loving golf at the moment, even enjoying still during a bad round which I didn't used to. You only ever play against yourself really.
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice
    'm loving golf at the moment, even enjoying still during a bad round which I didn't used to. You only ever play against yourself really

Me too, when I was younger I'd get seriously fucked off if I played badly. These days getting out with my mates, hitting a few pars and maybe even birdie is where I'm at.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Yeah - same same.

Usually low nineties. Rarely better. Shameful considering I play twice a month.
  • Timus
    Timus
    A good walk ruined.. Thats golf.
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    I'd love to take up golf at my local golf place. Golf hut? Group? HQ? What's it called? I can't though (not just because I can't remember what it's called) - you have to go through an interview process before you're considered for membership. I wouldn't get a foot over the threshold.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    G uys
    O nly
    L adies
    F uck-off
  • Anxious
    Anxious
    Golf Club! That's what it's called! It's a tricky one, I've just learned that 'sticks' are actually clubs too - tricky stuff.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    A good walk ruined.. Thats golf.

A walk is a good round wasted.
  • Accurate
    Accurate
    Question for the golf experts:

Do you need both 3 & 5 wood?
  • Pete Nice
    Pete Nice

They're the best two clubs in my bag - but then I don't really like hitting low irons - depends on how you play really.
  • freewheelin franklin
    freewheelin franklin
    aka Stuntman Posts: 4,093
    I've been playing golf for 25 years, daft game.

Ditched my driver 7 years ago, 5 wood all the way.

Took me down to a 13 handicap.

Daft game, too hard.
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    Accurate wrote:
    Question for the golf experts:

hehe...wood.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Anyone going to watch the Ryder Cup? Should be a cracking weekend of golf if the weather doesn't ruin it.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Keeping d*d Happy Posts: 11,595
    Always watch the Ryder Cup, quality stuff, although I'm meant to be going to the Lake District on Sunday so may miss the final round…
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    Limbo wrote:
    Anyone going to watch the Ryder Cup? Should be a cracking weekend of golf if the weather doesn't ruin it.

I looked at getting tickets but it's sooo expensive. Think I'll stick to watching it in my pants, in HD.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Think I'll stick to watching it in my pants, in HD.

It's the only way.
  • Klang
    Klang
    Ray fucking Purchase Posts: 17,252
    Where is it this year? Me parents live a couple of miles away from Sandwich were the Open will be played next year, John Invadale rented the house a couple of doors down last time and was good for some tickets, otherwise being a golf spectator is expensive business (£180 for a two day pass)
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    Celtic Manor, Newport - about 4 hours drive from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    Way off now to have a game. Fuck this rain. I've waited long enough.
    Haven't got sky sports. Will have to try and bum a stream off the net.
  • pob
    pob
    Bob on Posts: 4,722
    Love the Ryder cup, looking forward to McDowell+ McIlroy, Westwood+ Poulter(?) and the Molinari pairings. Think we are going to pull the yanks pants down and have a bit of gang rape.
  • slate
    slate
    Senior Member Posts: 6,137
    pob wrote:
    Love the Ryder cup, looking forward to McDowell+ McIlroy, Westwood+ Poulter(?) and the Molinari pairings. Think we are going to pull the yanks pants down and have a bit of gang rape.
    Not if Phil hits some mean hooks into the opposition tee boxes and takes out of a few of them :)

God knows he plays half his holes in the bush.
  • pob
    pob
    Maybe, Phil's not really done much since the Masters though.

Edit just read again. I still think it will be rape :)
  • slate
    slate
    Yeah too many inconsistant players on the US team.

I golfed for the 2nd time this year last week, love golf, hate the price of the sport.

Not sure what its like over seas, but in Canada if you want to play on anything decent its $45-50 a round base. If you don't want to walk, want some warmup driving range time and a drink, you are looking at $100 easy. Don't even think about getting hungry for a $9 hamburger.

Used to be able to golf as a youth for $130 per year! As many rounds as my little heart desired :)
  • pob
    pob
    When I put a golf club in my hands I lose the ability to control my arms so I am truly shockingly bad at golf. Have a go at the driving range every now and again.
  • 2Dfruit
    2Dfruit
    bslate wrote:
    Yeah too many inconsistant players on the US team.

I golfed for the 2nd time this year last week, love golf, hate the price of the sport.

Not sure what its like over seas, but in Canada if you want to play on anything decent its $45-50 a round base. If you don't want to walk, want some warmup driving range time and a drink, you are looking at $100 easy. Don't even think about getting hungry for a $9 hamburger.

Used to be able to golf as a youth for $130 per year! As many rounds as my little heart desired :)

Yearly memberships are worth it if you invest in the sport. I try to get out about 4 times a week. Must have plowed about 3k into the sport this year. Don't plan on doing that again for a very long time.
  • Klang
    Klang
    I play tennis, much cheaper, equally as frustrating.

I use to play golf, but after I fucked my knee my swing has gone all wrong.
  • slate
    slate
    Yeah back when I was in Highschool used to do 5-7 rounds a week, sometimes twice a day.

Handicap was around 8-10, if I go out now I'll be lucky if I shoot under 100 :) Partly because I'm in the city now so memberships to the inner city courses are stupid expensive and most are private.

One of the most peaceful things to do through - getting a bucket of balls on the range just before the sun goes down. Damn I miss that.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Why would they choose Wales in October? It's a washout.
  • pob
    pob
    Now thats what I call a start.
  • Tom
    Tom
    play to resume at 5pm…
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Looking good for a grandstand finish.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    All square, one up in last match. Couldn't be any closer.
  • Klang
    Klang
    It's over Limbob

No it's not, fucking Yahoo Eurosport!
  • Kid.
    Kid.
    watching... Posts: 5,713
    This is tense! I'm just listening to it. Sky are bastards.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Great putt that.
  • Rotuy
    Rotuy
    Christstollen Posts: 9,835
    Get in there, Europe!
  • Timus
    Timus
    ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
  • Kid.
    Kid.
    watching... Posts: 5,713
    Epic win.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Amazing comeback from the yanks but not enough in the end, remarkable days golf, great win for Europe
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Wicked that.
  • slate
    slate
    Damn going to have to wait for highlights tonight. On a side note the Ryder Cup iPhone app was absolutely useless.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Himanez is a legend. Bottle of wine and a cuban.
  • Rotuy
    Rotuy
    Christstollen Posts: 9,835
    He sometimes has a cigar in his mouth whilst putting.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    The peoples athlete.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Wonder McIlroy will drop his nerve this time. 8 shots to lose.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Result that.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Amazing stuff from McIlroy, you'd have to think that will be the first of many majors.

Great to see the general European dominance of the game these days too.
  • steveb
    steveb
    BitterHusk Original™ Järvenpää FinlandPosts: 24,094
    The Americans have had their golf club memberships repossessed, drought has destroyed the greens and tornadoes have deposited all their 19th hole club houses in the Florida Everglades.
  • Timus
    Timus
    Wifey has been invited to the Scottish Open as a VIP. 'God, its going to be dull' she says. Thats my gal.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    9jOSS8Jl.jpg

Snuck out for 18 holes yesterday for only the 2nd time in 2 months. Final ball was struck for the 86th time for a birdie. Of course, the final shot will make me come back again.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Very decent score, par 72?. Lowest I've hit this year was 87 ha!
  • Nick
    Nick
    Cream of DT Posts: 18,194
    My father-in-law managed a hole in one last week. First one in 48 years.

He forgot he had to buy everyone in the clubhouse a drink. Cost him about £300 :)
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    I would love to hit an eagle-one. I've been close a couple of times - hit the flag, but never dropped it (Aiming to get a decent handicap this year, as I do every year)
  • Klang
    Klang
    I'm happy if I get round a par 72 under 100.
  • Rawiri
    Rawiri
    Have at you sire Posts: 1,415
    dogleg
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    I'm happy if I get round a par 72 under 100.

Me too. 91 my best on the course near me. Fucking killer. 6miles, loads and loads of traps/water. Massive fairways and the devil of a 18th - the card killer.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Rawiri wrote:
    dogleg

Innit.
  • Rawiri
    Rawiri
    Have at you sire Posts: 1,415
    infantile but one of those words that just makes me smirk
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Most of golf is innuendo. All holes and balls, swinging and bush and putting from the rough.
  • Klang
    Klang
    I often practice my stroke between the fifth and sixth hole at my local course.
  • scrooble
    scrooble
    Limbo wrote:
    Me too. 91 my best on the course near me. Fucking killer. 6miles, loads and loads of traps/water. Massive fairways and the devil of a 18th - the card killer.

Moor Allerton?
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Nah - I'm Derbyshire now mate. Across the border. Although that is a fucker of a course, but nothing compared to those mad two long holes at Brandon in Shadwell. 610yrd par 5 and 490yrd par 4 over water, back to back - monsters.
  • roto
    roto
    |-/ Posts: 12,958
    Don't know how I missed this thread, and now I have to sober up and play at 6:20 with the dew sweeping crew. Here's my set...I recently upgraded to RocketBallz (by TaylorMade) and fucking love them. My only hang-around from my old set is my old standby PING putter. I didn't feel comfortable with the fat grip TaylorMade:

nfZNJoVl.jpg

3SlV4UNl.jpg

rTqpFt9l.jpg

Right now, my handicap is 12 trending to 13 because I have played less so far this year than at any point since I was 6 years old. When I play and hit balls once a week, I can be a high single digit handicap (Around 8 or 9). Usually score between 82-90, but today with copious amounts of tequila still slathering through my veins, I'll be lucky to break 100.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    This US Open course is the devils spawn.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Brutal. Rose now joint leader. About time we had an English major winner...
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    May have spoke too soon... he's not on the back 9 yet - Professionals are hitting 8's on some - that's almost completely unheard of.
  • Tom
    Tom
    He's outright leader now. Long way to go though as you say.

It's good to see the players challenged but I think this course is too difficult, there's a car crash for some poor sod every two minutes.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    There's one flag you can't par unless you spin it in.

Drivers on par 3's too. WTF?
  • Klang
    Klang
    I always thought the idea of the par system was that a good golfer should be able to reach the green on one under on a average day. Needing a driver to make he green of a par three in one is absurd.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Yeah. Should be leaving a birdie putt - AKA Greens in regulation.

Thing is, not like this is Royal Troon or Lytham on a fucking windy day with rain and hail etc - it's the pins that have fucked it.
  • Limbo
    Limbo
    Go on lad. Just need to see Mickleson ditch it.
  • Tom
    Tom
    Looking good, stunning 18th from Rose, deserved a birdie.