Old 30-08-2011, 22:46   #1 (permalink)
After.Lyfe

College freelancing?

I am starting a free lancing thing between my friends and I in college and I am hoping to get a few questions answered if someone feels like telling

1. Do I have to have some kind of permit? I do not plan on making a lot of money off of this yet.

2. How do copy writes work? As soon as I make it do I just say its mine?

Um... there will probably be more to come, but that is the main start of it.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:10   #2 (permalink)
steveb
BitterHusk Original™

Do you mean copy writing or copyrighting?

What country are you in? Permits and permissions vary from place to place but one thing is certain - your local taxman is going to be interested in your success and has some unpleasant punishments for noncompliance with his rules.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Fellgrail

In Canada anyways, and I imagine other places, you do not need to register for tax until you reach a certain bracket of income.

You will need to register a business name.

As for copyrights, it's up to you. Everything you make is automatically copyright, and then you usually give that right to whomever your designing for (if it's a logo).

You generally mention copyrights in the contract you sign.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:51   #4 (permalink)
calder12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellgrail
As for copyrights, it's up to you. Everything you make is automatically copyright, and then you usually give that right to whomever your designing for (if it's a logo).

Interesting concept, of course utterly useless in the legal scheme of things which by the way is the only place that copyrights actually matter. It may very well be true, but telling someone that as soon as they make something it's copyrighted gives the impression that they're covered if anyone steals their work... not so much.

If you create anything that you're really worried about being stolen then I suggest you look into it with a lawyer, at least a free consultation.

Of course probably most of what you make would never require that, but going under the assumption that just because you made it means it's protected is going to screw you if it ever matters. You better be able to PROVE you made it and when...